Taking a tripod on a plane

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Are airport security likely to have any issues with this?

Normally I chuck it in with my luggage and check it in but I'm doing a long weekend in Krackow in October so I'm just taking a holdall with me on the plane and not checking any luggage.

Airline is Ryanair who'll no doubt try and charge me for breathing

Don't think they'll accept it as hand luggage - usually has to go in the hold.

I dont see why not, as it isn't classed as a 'sharp' object or ' liquids'. if it fits in your holdall and fits within the hand luggage dimensions, I dont see a problem.

To be on the safe side, give them a call and find out. 5 minutes on the phone can save some frustration at the airport.

Last edited:
They're quite happy with other types of club - a litre of duty free would make a good club.

They're quite happy with other types of club - a litre of duty free would make a good club.

Only if you buy that club within the airport though, you' can't bring your own club in!

I rate your chances as between slim and none I'm afraid.

If it's in a carry bag of some description and fits in the carry-on cage, then you should have no problems. It is not a prohibited item provided it is packed appropriately.

"I have had it with these m***********g tripods on this m***********g plane"

Sorry its a friday afternoon and I couldnt resist.

.......... :tumbleweed: .......... :exit:

Alot of airlines seem very inconsistent when it comes to hand luggage these days. I recently flew to and from Malaysia and although you're only allowed one piece of carry on luggage, alot of people where taking more than that (all sitting in economy class too). Some of the bags carried on where nearly as big as my checked-in suitcase too! :eek:

I think alot depends on the airline to be honest, you might get away with it, you might not. However, it's Ryanair, so like you say they'll probably charge you for even looking at the plane.

if it fits in carryon luggage size (and weight - 10kg, though many people report it rarely being checked, especially if you make it 'look' light), it *should* be fine... however, is it really less than 50cm long?

Last edited:
As has been said the best approach should be to call and check. The problem with doing this is it will depend on who answers the call as to the response you get. Chances are if they don't know for sure they will say you cannot carry it on, rather than check. On the other hand if they tell you it's ok, will the airport security agree?

In other words phoning first may be as helpful as my response on here.

Sorry

I've taken mine (redsnapper 284) hand luggage on Ryanair (I only ever fly hand luggage if I can). Didn't have any problem out or back. It does fit their hand luggage requirements too :)

If it fits in the bag ryan air shouldn't mind, the problem comes when the bag gets scanned and security see it.

You could ring the airport and see what their view is, but it also applies to the return trip as getting it out there is no guarantee you'll get it back!

You could get a mini travel tripod to perch on top of stuff?

Last edited:
Alot of airlines seem very inconsistent when it comes to hand luggage these days. I recently flew to and from Malaysia and although you're only allowed one piece of carry on luggage, alot of people where taking more than that (all sitting in economy class too). Some of the bags carried on where nearly as big as my checked-in suitcase too! :eek:

I think alot depends on the airline to be honest, you might get away with it, you might not. However, it's Ryanair, so like you say they'll probably charge you for even looking at the plane.

:LOL: Was this Malaysian Airlines?

Airport security are ridiculously strict, I had to leave behind a rocket blower,or check in the entire bag (which would have cost more than the rocket blower as I was travelling hand luggage only) because it 'looked like a bomb' even though I showed them it was only for puffing air. It was brand new and still in it's packet.

good luck, you shouldn't have any problem, but they can make up any excuse and get away with it imho

If it fits in the bag ryan air shouldn't mind, the problem comes when the bag gets scanned and security see it.

You could ring the airport and see what their view is, but it also applies to the return trip as getting it out there is no guarantee you'll get it back!

You could get a mini travel tripod to perch on top of stuff?
I agree! if it fits in you hand luggage the airline wont even know its there, security will be the problem.

Are airport security likely to have any issues with this?

Normally I chuck it in with my luggage and check it in but I'm doing a long weekend in Krackow in October so I'm just taking a holdall with me on the plane and not checking any luggage.

Airline is Ryanair who'll no doubt try and charge me for breathing

Taking a Tri-pod is fine, provided that it fits in the hold/hand carry bag. Especially if you have a bagfull of camera and lens- the security staff can put the two together :thinking: . Only thing to look at is bringing tri-pod adjusting tools best to throw them in hold.

A lot of speculation here!

It's down to the security people checking your bag and them alone. No point in phoning airports and asking. The person you speak to will not be the person x-raying your bag. If you want to try, then get a cheap sub-£20 disposable tripod that you won't shed more than one tear over if it gets taken off you.

The only tripod I've ever taken through is one of those tiny 6 inch table top things which has lived at the bottom of my bag and unused for years. That caused a conversation between a couple of security men once but they let it go.

A insight in to how their minds work. Last week I went through Heathrow with my max-size bag full of camera/laptop stuff and other odds and sods. I chucked in all the metal things off myself before stepping through the body scanner. My bag sat inside the x-ray machine for over a minute and was pulled aside on emerging. "Do you have a bag of coins in here?" A bemused yes from me - a small pocket sized leather thing containing ordinary UK coins, which they wanted to see. :shrug:

Back