DIY - Softbox conversion to internal flash - like a westcott Apollo..

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been playing with my FITP 24" Softbox but think that the light that comes out is still a bit harsh, so I decided to modify it to try and make a rear facing softbox like the Westcott Apollo. So, I bought a 1M length of 20 x 2mm black Aluminium from B&Q and bent it as the pics. I bolted it to the original softbox bracket and then bolted the coldshoe to the bent bar inside the softbox. The flash now mounts inside the softbox and faces backwards, I then cut a piece of card and covered it in tin foil to fill the original hole at the rear of the softbox. The light is definately a lot softer than before. Will post comparison pics soon. pics of the bracket below.

Flash mounted inside softbox

DSC_4329.jpg

Bracket from the rear

DSC_4330.jpg

What do you think?

Cheers

Adam

(y)

The Westcott definitely gives a softer light than the Lastolite Ezybox, so it'll be interesting to see the results......

Why didn't I think of that before. I may have to give that a go too, thanks for the heads up!

Those look seriously under exposed. I don't think you have made the light softer just sapped a whole lot of power. If you look at the shadows, they seem quite hard still. I can't help wondering whether you would of got better results just by sticking a stofen on the flash in the normal position.

Those look seriously under exposed. I don't think you have made the light softer just sapped a whole lot of power. If you look at the shadows, they seem quite hard still. I can't help wondering whether you would of got better results just by sticking a stofen on the flash in the normal position.

On seeing the results, I have to agree. FWIW I always use a stofen with the Ezybox and with the Westcott. It probably wastes power, but the output from both is nice soft light, so :shrug:

Back