Not the magic kind, I don't think .... :LOL:

A few images of some of the mushrooms I found on my woodland walk:

5042001597_563b3fda96_o.jpg

5041996911_f115db3dd6_o.jpg

5042625524_09db84f48a_o.jpg

5042000245_6c027a0d01_o.jpg

5041998397_8be755a577_o.jpg

5042621776_9238a560be_o.jpg

Any c&c welcome thanks, especially if anyone can identify what species of mushroom they are.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Superb shots love the colour and definition of these shrooms just lovely imho they are just perfect shots :)

Thanks Eddie and Dave for your comments :)

I have been out in the woods for another 3 hours today, so will post some more photos later when I have been through them.

I agree Dave, this is a fantastic time of the year for mushrooms and there are loads of them in the woods, one just needs to look carefully because some of them are so tiny and hiding in the most unusual places.

Cheers

I went out walking again yesterday and managed to find so many more mushrooms, here are a few:

i)
5048241957_c8c5bf778c_o.jpg

ii) Geashtrum sp.
5048863914_a34c58ce6e_o.jpg

iii) Glistening Ink Cap (Coprinus micaceus)
5048240731_dd02dfb061_o.jpg

iv)
5048239859_c96b303d1d_o.jpg

v) Coprinus sp. - (?Xanthotrix?)
5048239133_4b0e25c8a4_o.jpg

vi) Glistening Ink Cap (Coprinus micaceus)
5048240243_a7b49ddf19_o.jpg

another two to follow in another post .....

:)

Last edited:
these 2 I thought looked really weird:

vii) Orange Peel fungus (Aleuria aurantia)
5048243409_8e12dea019_b.jpg

viii) Jew's ear Auricularia auricula_judae
5048862672_0b31f97774_o.jpg

Today I went out again to another woods and took a lot more pics that I still need to look through, so will post more photos when I have got round to them.

Thanks for looking, any c&c welcome and also with identification. I will post names of the species when I have identified them.

Cheers

Last edited:
Another grea set Dawn especially like the Orange Peel fungus (Aleuria aurantia) #vii (y)

Thanks Dave, I thought that it was Orange Peel fungus, but wasn't totally sure. It is a very unusual looking fungus, and it looked like it was wrapped around some of the ground vegetation, alsmost like it was eating it :D

Once I have identified the others I will post add the names to them. If you know the names of any others, please let me know and I will add names for any others who visit the thread.

Cheers

Here are a couple more that I took yesterday at Springwood near Whalley, Lancashire:

a) Leafy Brain Fungus (Tremella foliacea)
5050310413_6b3a14aa8c_b.jpg

b)
5050927306_59da84af88_o.jpg

c)
5050926830_f31ed7aecb_b.jpg

d)
5050309771_722d4b59c3_b.jpg

e)
5050923154_5f8d4d982d_b.jpg

f) Porcelain Fungus (Oudemansiella Mucida)
5050305131_57dd98b9d9_b.jpg

more to follow .....

Last edited:
Dawn, there's some great shots in here... bang on focus and exposure. Wonderful colours on some of them... but I'm afraid that some of them look a bit soft to me... sorry...

vi and vii are excellent as is b and c.

vi I think is my fave.

and more:

g)
5050305533_946d6ea628_o.jpg

h) Porcelain Fungus (Oudemansiella Mudia)
5050305131_57dd98b9d9_b.jpg

i) Contrary Webcap (Cortinarius varius)
5050304199_b90bfabb04_b.jpg

j) Trooping Crumble Cap (aka Fairy Bonnet) (Coprinus disseminatus)
5050303515_24664cf994_b.jpg

k)
5050923154_5f8d4d982d_b.jpg

l) Shaggy Pholiota (Pholiota Squarrosa)
5050926508_e5f2ff6a98_o.jpg

Thanks for looking. Any c&c welcome.

Cheers

Last edited:
Dawn, there's some great shots in here... bang on focus and exposure. Wonderful colours on some of them... but I'm afraid that some of them look a bit soft to me... sorry...

vi and vii are excellent as is b and c.

vi I think is my fave.

Hiya John,

Thanks for the great comments and valuable critique, much appreciated.

I agree some of the photos look a bit soft, it is difficult to tell after having looked at nearly 500 that I have taken over the last 2 weeks :LOL:

I think it is time I invest in a little gorrilla pod or some sort of mini tripod because all these photos were taken handheld and I have found it very difficult at times to get as low down as possible, especially on very slippy or uneven ground to actually keep the camera steady. Also some of these muschrooms, especially the really small ones, were actually growing in the nooks of trees, a bit higher up than I could reach at the same time as looking through the view finder.

I'm also considering buying myself eithe some macro extension tubes, or if I can save enough pennies a Macro lens, as I only have the 18-55 kit lens, which is good, but limiting for the direction my photography seems to be taking me.

I have a couple more photos to post from yesterday, so if you are not already fungied out, you are welcome to pop past to see the other pics.

Once again thanks.

Take care

Cheers

Hi

Good selection youve found Dawn

A) Leafy Brain Fungus (Tremella foliacea)

H) and (f) Porcelain Fungus - Oudemansiellla mucidawn

J) Trooping Crumble Cap ( aka Fairy Bonnet) ( Coprinus disseminatus)

L) Shaggy Pholiota (Pholiota squarrosa)

Rest hard to tell from photographs

Last edited:
wowzer... that's a lot of shroom shots ... ;) I tried a few yesterday and found it really hard to get focus and hold the camera still for similar reasons, I nearly got a camping mat out to lay on... but time... as ever...

Hi

Good selection youve found Dawn

A) Leafy Brain Fungus (Tremella foliacea)

H) and (f) Porcelain Fungus - Oudemansiellla mucidawn

J) Trooping Crumble Cap ( aka Fairy Bonnet) ( Coprinus disseminatus)

Rest hard to tell from photographs

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the names, I will update the pics with them cheers. I just noticed that I have double posted H & F.

I have more to post from yesterday, they were in a field accross the road from Springwood, but I though I would add them as a separate post.

Cheers

wowzer... that's a lot of shroom shots ... ;) I tried a few yesterday and found it really hard to get focus and hold the camera still for similar reasons, I nearly got a camping mat out to lay on... but time... as ever...

:LOL: I can get a tad carried away when I am on a mission, and the latest one is hunting fungi.

I too considered taking a mat with me yesterday, I have a small one, a bit like a picnic mat, that I take with me when I go walking, but typical I couldn't find it and I didn't want to waste time looking for it either. The weather only let up at about 2pm so I need to get out before it went too dark.

My son (who is only 5 years old) had his camera with him too, but luckily he didn't have it in his hands when I came short trying to climb up a slippy embankment :LOL: Fortunately I had packed the cameras in the bag otherwise there would have been a catastrophe.

One thing is, we at least had our wellington boots on, and it was only on the way back to the car that we saw a sign that said 'Wellie Walk' :LOL:

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to look at and comments on my photos.

Cheers

Fascinating things aren't they? Delighted to see the one I was calling purple brain really does have brain in it's name!

Indeed Tina, they are amazing little things. I think the magic of mushrooms has got me at the moment :LOL:

I am going to work on putting names to all the fungi I have found. I have a book to look them up, and obviously the internet, but it is not always easy to identify them from a photo. I have not resorted to taking the book out and about with me so that I can look at the species in more detail while trying to find it in the book. Hence why when I go out it can take me up to 3 or 4 hours a trip. If I had more time I would be out all day.

Thanks for taking a look at the thread, I will be posting more photos today and over the next few weeks so feel free to visit this thread again.

Cheers

Nice shots! I like number 1 the best!

Thanks Matthew for your comments, much appreciated :)

I will be posting more photos soon, so feel free to pop past again.

Cheers

Forgot to say

viii is Jew's ear ( Auricularia auricula_judae)

Thanks Dave, updating the photos now with names. If you can identify anymore, please let me know.

I am using book and inernet to try to identify some.

Cheers

At the Springwood outing yesterday, we were chatting to some people who were out for a walk too and told them that we were mushroom hunting.

When we arrived back at the car, the woman we spoke to earlier, came over to us to tell us that they had seen some red capped mushroom in a field over the way, took a photo on their mobile to show me and directed us to where they were and we set off to find them, with the following results:

Some Fly Agaric (Amanita muscaria):

m)
5050925374_dcd890c5e9_b.jpg

n)
5050308547_d8c7f6428c_b.jpg

(looking a bit delapidated)

o)
5050924728_02e8f7158e_b.jpg

p)
5050307005_b4383ba970_b.jpg

q)
5050923888_48c70f6cb3_b.jpg

r)
5050923482_62f8912d3b_b.jpg

Some of these were quite tricky to get to, but with the help of a passerby, I managed to climb through a barbed wire fence to get to these and they were on a very steep slope, so if they look a bit OOF it is because I was trying to get low enough to capture them without rolling down the hill :LOL:. The things I do in the name of fungi hunting :D

Once again any c&c welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Last edited:
good set, I like the red capped mushrooms and the leafy brain, excellent detail

Hi Dawn

Some fab shots of the Fly Agaric (Amanita muscaria) red capped ones, nice details, they are poisonous if you eat to many, one or 2 and you just get hallucinations (Magic Mushrooms)

Hi Dawn

Some fab shots of the Fly Agaric (Amanita muscaria) red capped ones, nice details, they are poisonous if you eat to many, one or 2 and you just get hallucinations (Magic Mushrooms)

Hi Dave

Thanks for the comments and info about the Fly Agaric. I tried to get them at their best angle because some looked a tad passed their best by date :LOL:

So I have finally found magic mushrooms :banana:, my friends on FB will be happy to hear that :D

I don't think they look very appetising, so will pass on tasting them, besides I don't need magic mushrooms to hallucinate, I get that from life itself :p

More photos will follow soon of other species I have managed to snap.

Cheers

Nice pictures, number 1, 3 and 6 are the magic mushroom type.

Thanks John, when you say 1, 3, 6 do you mean (m), (o) & (r) are the magic mushrooms. I thought (m) - (r) were the same species, but then I can't really tell the difference between them.

Cheers

I have since had some feedback from a nature site about this fungus.

It has been suggested that it may be Velvet shank (Flammulina velutipes) or perhaps (Gymnopilus sp.)

If anybody has any comments or suggestions as to the species, please let me know as I am very curious to find out what this particular fungus is.

Cheers

P.S. Apparently the Japanese name is enoki or enokitake

Last edited:
Hi Dawn

Looks like either an old Velvet shank or Rough Shank, to me also (y)

Thanks Dave,

I am still leaning more towards the Velvet shank, mainly because of the colour and texture. I too think it is and old one and rather weather beaten. Regardless, I was so excited when I found it as it was so unusual looking and the most beautiful colour.

I took loads of photos yesterday, had a look through them last night but it got too late to upload, so will post some more today. Watch this space :D

Cheers

Hi Dawn nothing wrong with older fungi, it wasnt a negative, on the contrary , when I said old they often have more character and are more shapely,

Im going on holiday at 12pm for a few days in Appleby and the lakes, in our campervan, so I may not see the rest of your shots, but I will look them up when I get back home, happy hunting (y)

Hi Dawn nothing wrong with older fungi, it wasnt a negative, on the contrary , when I said old they often have more character and are more shapely,

Im going on holiday at 12pm for a few days in Appleby and the lakes, in our campervan, so I may not see the rest of your shots, but I will look them up when I get back home, happy hunting (y)

Hi Dave,

I agree, older fungi do have loads of character, so don't worry I didn't read it as a negative.

Have a fantastic time up in the lakes. I too go to Appleby in my campervan, we stay at a fantastic site called Wild Rose Caravan Park - one of the best campsites I have been to.

The scenery in that part of the world is absoutely stunning, and it should be gorgeous now with the autumn colours. Apparently the weather should be great for you. Have a good time and I look forward to seeing your photos when you get back. Hopefully you will get to find some fungi too.

Take care, safe journey and catch up with you on your return.

Cheers

Hi Dawn

Ha ha small world, were we are staying at the Wild Rose Caravan Park, we got a super pitch or something as a free upgrade :thinking:

Is there any must sees when we go, oooooh autumn colours sound fab, and as you say the weather is looking good :banana:

See you when we get back, with some fungi shots as well, Im sure (y)

Hi Dawn

Ha ha small world, were we are staying at the Wild Rose Caravan Park, we got a super pitch or something as a free upgrade :thinking:

Is there any must sees when we go, oooooh autumn colours sound fab, and as you say the weather is looking good :banana:

See you when we get back, with some fungi shots as well, Im sure (y)

:LOL: It is a small world Dave, have you camped at Wild Rose before?

If not you have to definitely feast at the restaurante on site, Sweet Briar, the owner/chef, Karl is a fantastic chap and his cuisine is 5 star.

There are so many beautiful places to see there. There is a great walk, if you turn right on exit from the campsite, follow the road down, under a huge bridge (great subject for photos), a bit further down there is a farm gate on the right, which you can go through and walk through the fields, or you can walk a bit further down the road to the old Mill on the right, if the river is a bit flooded, don't worry there are stepping stones to cross it. Beautiful cottages to take pics of. Walk past the cottages and take the right fork in the path. It is quite a walk but absolutely beautiful, with loads take take pics of. It then meets with a dirt track road, I took the right turn. Walk along there and you will come to some beautiful landscape views. Apparently it brings you out to a road, turn right and follow it all the way back to the campsite. We didn't do the last bit because my son started to get tired, so we turned back.

Also a trip into Appleby is great too, with some lovely building to photograph. There is the river with loads of birds, and if you walk towards out of town and vere left there is a lovely walk through a large woodlands, past a farm, across a bridge and back into town.

Apparently there is also a waterfall in the area, but I have never seen that yet.

Wild Rose is my 2nd home, and I absolutely love it there.

If you get chance to eat at Sweet Briar, please tell Karl that Dawn and Reuben send their love.

I'm sure you are going to have a wonderful time.

Cheers

Thanks very much Dawn, great directions, we should find most of what you say, sounds great, (y)

Ill say hello to Karl for you sure we'll be eating there. (y)

Sure we will have a fab time, our first time with the dog Tyler in the camper :naughty: hope he likes it, Im sure he will

thanks again (y)

Talk when we get back :wave:

Your welcome Dave.

I am sure Tyler is going to have a great time, especially the walks.

I've just finished sorting yesterday's photos and will be uploading to flickr now.

Take care :wave:

D :)

Your welcome Dave.

I am sure Tyler is going to have a great time, especially the walks.

I've just finished sorting yesterday's photos and will be uploading to flickr now.

Take care :wave:

D :)

good good, when they're uploaded, i'll take a look

speaking of post processing, i've still got to go through the ones taken yesterday after a day out

good good, when they're uploaded, i'll take a look

speaking of post processing, i've still got to go through the ones taken yesterday after a day out

Hiya Emily,

I will post a couple here on TP, but not all because just from yesterday there are 96 photos :LOL: (but you can see them on my flickr page)

I'm also going to post some to facebook, so you can see them there too.

Where did you go yesterday? Look forward to seeing your pics.

Take care

Back