Macromania

Messiah Khan

Santa is your dad
Name
Alasdair Fowler
Edit My Images
Yes
Yet again I got caught out by the rain. I think I might just buy a waterproof camera casing, then I can stay out even in thunderstorms. But im quite happy I went out today, as im very happy with todays hunt, as a couple of the shots I consider to be my best work to date;

Bleached_edges_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

2. (wtf are these things, every time I see them, they look more evil)
Imagine_if_scorpions_had_wings_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

Rest_a_minute_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

Drink_the_nectar_of_life_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

Psst___Over_here_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

Water_water_everywhere_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

Beaky_is_ready_for_launch_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

8. (Pictures don't do this chaps wings justice)
Technicolour_wings_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

X_marks_the_spot_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

10. (Jack climbed up the beanshoot)
Jack_the_ladybird_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

11. (Then jack realised he was infact a Ladybird and fell down, lol.)
Jack_fell_down_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

W O W !

Fantastic, and as you quite rightly put, possibly some of the best you have done to date, Your work continues to astound me, and encourages me to get my hand in my pocket for a dedicated macro lens.

Luckily Sigma do the 105mm and 150mm for four thirds mount, but not sure which would be best due to the 2x crop on the E-510.

Superb shots, everyone of them.

Are they handheld or tripod?

Fantastic, and as you quite rightly put, possibly some of the best you have done to date, Your work continues to astound me, and encourages me to get my hand in my pocket for a dedicated macro lens.

Luckily Sigma do the 105mm and 150mm for four thirds mount, but not sure which would be best due to the 2x crop on the E-510.

Cheers. I have to say I LOVE this lens now. Every time I get a good infocus shot, I like it more. Its a bit tricky to use due to the dof etc, but when I get it right, the sharpness of the lens really show itself. Im not sure id like to go over 150mm, so you might be best off with the 105 on a 2x crop body. I can see my dad getting that one eventually for his E400.

Superb shots, everyone of them.

Are they handheld or tripod?

Thank you. They're all handheld. Im too lazy to drag the tripod out with me all the time, and it would be impossibly chasing bugs with it anyway.

MK- brilliant shots in vibrant colours. Don't know what #2 is :puke: but I wouldn't like to upset it in a hurry - Eeeww!

Simply brilliant. Focus and dof field is spot on, and the colours you produce seem to be totally natural. You have the ability to produce fantastic shots consistently....envious...moi :shrug: :D

Superb stuff :clap: :clap: :clap:

MK- brilliant shots in vibrant colours. Don't know what #2 is :puke: but I wouldn't like to upset it in a hurry - Eeeww!

Thank you. :) Is apparently a Mecoptera(Scorpion fly) which I think is quite an apt name.

Simply brilliant. Focus and dof field is spot on, and the colours you produce seem to be totally natural. You have the ability to produce fantastic shots consistently....envious...moi :shrug: :D

Superb stuff :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers.:) Thank you to whoever gave the thread stars as well.:)

great set, good work :)

Yet another super set of macros!

That scorpion thing is something else!

You have definitely developed your own rich, vibrant style with presenting macros.

great set, good work :)

Thank you :)

Yet another super set of macros!

That scorpion thing is something else!

You have definitely developed your own rich, vibrant style with presenting macros.

Cheers. People keep mentioning my style, but im not entirely sure what im doing that differs so much from what other people do, lol.

2.gif

Stop it MK!! I can't afford a new camera ;) :D

Muahaha!:LOL: What camera you got at the moment?

Fuji S9500, there is supposedly a dedicated macro lens attachment for it but I don't think it improves the in built macro settings by much, my problem is being quick enough and steady enough. I do have a tripod but as you say it's not the best thing when chasing bugs!

Bl00dy heck MK:eek: , those are unbelievable. I love every one of them.
Dean:)

Astounding the detail...the....colours.....everything!!!!

Very good stuff MK ... (y) ... seems like the rain brings out the best in you ... :D ... and the bugs ... ;)

Great set to look through once again mate ... :eek: ... especially the Green ones ... :love:

:p

Fantastic photos, definately gives me something to aspire to!

can you tell me what lens you used for them?

I have been looking at a sigma 150mm as a mate regularly goes to New York and can get one for nearly half UK price but Im not entirely sure about the whole crop business.

I would be using it with a 350D, would the 105mm be better?

Cheers. I use the one your looking at; The Sigma 150mm f2.8. It depends on what you want to shoot as to whether you go for the 105mm or the 150mm. 150mm is ideal for insects, but can be a bit tricky to use, whereas I would have thought a shorter lens would be easier to use but would mean getting closer to the creatures. What price can he get it for out of interest?

Great shots i love macro myself and always love looking at other peoples stuff. That thing that has a tail like a scorpion, was that taken in the uk ? and what the hell is it ?. Cant believe you hand hold and get such sharp shots, i must be getting old i need a tripod or a monopod with a standard lens now. And what about some details on your exposures, are you using flash.
Well done.

Here are few of mine.

http://www.treknature.com/gallery/Europe/United_Kingdom/photo58448.htm

http://www.treknature.com/gallery/Europe/United_Kingdom/photo66965.htm

http://www.treknature.com/gallery/Europe/United_Kingdom/photo59479.htm

http://www.treknature.com/gallery/Europe/United_Kingdom/photo56886.htm

http://www.treknature.com/gallery/Europe/United_Kingdom/photo57709.htm

stunning the first and last of the first post for me! Oh and the first lady bird! MINT!

Cheers :)

Great shots i love macro myself and always love looking at other peoples stuff. That thing that has a tail like a scorpion, was that taken in the uk ? and what the hell is it ?. Cant believe you hand hold and get such sharp shots, i must be getting old i need a tripod or a monopod with a standard lens now. And what about some details on your exposures, are you using flash.
Well done.

Here are few of mine.

http://www.treknature.com/gallery/Europe/United_Kingdom/photo58448.htm
http://www.treknature.com/gallery/Europe/United_Kingdom/photo66965.htm
http://www.treknature.com/gallery/Europe/United_Kingdom/photo59479.htm
http://www.treknature.com/gallery/Europe/United_Kingdom/photo56886.htm
http://www.treknature.com/gallery/Europe/United_Kingdom/photo57709.htm

Thanks :) Some nice shots you have there. The one of the full damselfly is my favourite. Yup, the scorpion tail fly thing is found in the uk. Its a male Panorpidae of the Mecoptera order. The scorpion tale is infact its gentials. Lovely eh.:LOL: Yeah, as I say, most of my shots are handheld. Only really use the tripod for lanscape shots. With this lens I always try and keep the shutter speed over 160th-200th stop camera shake. All my shots are with natural light, as I only have the built in flash.. which is just nasty. Really want to get a proper macro flash though.

Cracking set well done (y) :clap:

If only! :( ( Envy is a nasty trait :D )

I think the "WTF is this" is a scorpion fly?

Bravo, a great series but please stop posting - you really aren't helping my Sigma 150mm withdrawal :D

Cheers. I use the one your looking at; The Sigma 150mm f2.8. It depends on what you want to shoot as to whether you go for the 105mm or the 150mm. 150mm is ideal for insects, but can be a bit tricky to use, whereas I would have thought a shorter lens would be easier to use but would mean getting closer to the creatures. What price can he get it for out of interest?

He knows someone at BHvideo apparently,he has said £240 and hes going out in a couple of weeks so will let me know, the only minor problem is that he wont be bringing it back till early september but I guess at that price I can wait!

I have only had a DSLR for nearly a year and im swaying towards insect macro with the odd flower but have been trying to use extension tubes but i find it just too difficult to get focus with them.

Can you recommend any good macro books as I need to learn the basics ?

Come on be honest ... you just got those from out of a book didnt you!!! ;)

Some seriously gorgeous pics there, stunning every one.
#1 & #2 are my faves but all fantastic.
Beautiful vivid colours & brilliant detail! (y)

Hmmm! may be time to consider some TC's!

He knows someone at BHvideo apparently,he has said £240 and hes going out in a couple of weeks so will let me know, the only minor problem is that he wont be bringing it back till early september but I guess at that price I can wait!basics ?

I've just had a quick scan on ebay. You can get it from Hong Kong for just short of £200 with postage.

I really, really want one.

Linky: http://cgi.ebay.com/Sigma-105-mm-10...oryZ3343QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

Stunning set - I can't add anything that hasn't been said already. No 6 for me if I had to choose. Vey well done. Where were they taken?

Agree with everything that's been said so far. A superb set of shots. Bet they would look great printed up and mounted.

Ray

All awesome shots mate, very, very nicely done. I keep dragging my heels with getting my macro lens but I think I'm going to have to get a move on now while I'm feeling inspired

Thank you. I love this lens now. the fact that it also doubles up as a great, fast and sharp mid telephoto prime for general use as well is great.

Bravo, a great series but please stop posting - you really aren't helping my Sigma 150mm withdrawal

Cheers. Hehe, not much chance of me stopping posting just yet mate. Ive only just started the fun. And i shouldn't be helping your Sigma 150mm withdrawal as its a great lens that everyone should have.

He knows someone at BHvideo apparently,he has said £240 and hes going out in a couple of weeks so will let me know, the only minor problem is that he wont be bringing it back till early september but I guess at that price I can wait!

I have only had a DSLR for nearly a year and im swaying towards insect macro with the odd flower but have been trying to use extension tubes but i find it just too difficult to get focus with them.

Can you recommend any good macro books as I need to learn the basics ?

Certainly not a bad price. I think I payed £320 for mine, but then I couldn't wait. One thing you might want to check out, is if you get it in the US, whether the warranty will still be valid in the uk. Why did you find it hard to focus with extension tubes? Was it due to the narrow depth of field? Because this will affect you whatever way you try and increase magnification. I can't recommend any books on macro photography im afraid, as ive never read one. Ive had a quick read over some articles on the internet, but most of them are common sense stuff. Some of the guides on the following website are quite good though;
http://www.earthboundlight.com/

Come on be honest ... you just got those from out of a book didnt you!!!

Some seriously gorgeous pics there, stunning every one.
#1 & #2 are my faves but all fantastic.
Beautiful vivid colours & brilliant detail! (y)

Hmmm! may be time to consider some TC's!

Hehe, nope. I hope some of them might end up in books though.:) Ive got a 2X TC on order(Order has been pending for ages though) which should hopefully take me to 2:1, or 1:1 at double the working distance. It should also give me a decent 300mm prime to start birding.

:agree:

Stunning set, .... that much earlier shot you did of the pale butterfly, the one you initially loved so much, but many of us didn't rate ... Not so hot anymore is it? ;) :D

Fabulous work, well done. :clap: :clap:

I still like it *grumble grumble*:p I think it was the colours I liked so much on that one. But yes, I agree that technically these are better and sharper.

I've just had a quick scan on ebay. You can get it from Hong Kong for just short of £200 with postage.

I really, really want one.

Linky: http://cgi.ebay.com/Sigma-105-mm-10...oryZ3343QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

Woo, payday on Friday. *Looks at shopping list* Hmm, 10-20mm looks tempting. Or do I go for the sensible option and get a proper bag like the Tamrac expedition 9, and some better waterproof clothes.:thinking:

Stunning set - I can't add anything that hasn't been said already. No 6 for me if I had to choose. Vey well done. Where were they taken?

Thank you. These were all taken (As most of mine are) in the fields that are a stonesthrow from the back of my house. They're nice big fields that have left to go arrable, so include great bug havens like thistles and nettles. It in County Durham btw.

Agree with everything that's been said so far. A superb set of shots. Bet they would look great printed up and mounted.

Ray

Cheers. Im tempted to try out Photobox's large scale printing. Might get Jack the Ladybird printed out on A1 or A2.:)

:clap: :clap:

Where on earth do you find these creatures?

Do you venture far from Durham? Im gonna give Durham a go seen as though its only 15 minutes drive,

Very nice pictures man.

It really is very, very hard to be critical of a set like this, they really are superb, but...
Just on a couple, I feel the DoF could have been slightly better, ie the wings on no.8 (and please remember, this is just MO), what settings did you use?

:hug:

Where on earth do you find these creatures?

Do you venture far from Durham? Im gonna give Durham a go seen as though its only 15 minutes drive,

Very nice pictures man.

Im about 7 miles North of Darlington. But find any field anywhere in the UK, and I bet you that you will find creatures like this. Also as the summer goes on, more varied species will appear. One place you do want to go though(And this applies to anyone in the North East) Head to Easington Colliery on the Coast. The cliff tops along there are stunning for wildflower medows and insects.

It really is very, very hard to be critical of a set like this, they really are superb, but...
Just on a couple, I feel the DoF could have been slightly better, ie the wings on no.8 (and please remember, this is just MO), what settings did you use?

Cheers. Yeah, I agree. Was a bit annoying actually, as the moth stayed on that thistle and didn't fly off at all. This gave me loads of time to take shots. But every time I got ready to press the shutter, it would move a tiny bit. In the end I just got bored and moved on, but unfortunately didn't get any perfect shots of it.

Back