Dead Moll's Fingers

drodd

Also loves to mass debate
Name
Dawn
Edit My Images
No
Here are some photos of Dead Moll's Fingers (Xylaria longipes) I took yesterday on my woodland walk.

They were a last minute find whilst I was taking photos of Candle-snuff Fungus and Orange-peel fungus and I almost didn't see them if it wasn't for them lying next to my camera bag.

They were attached to a dead twig, so I could rest them on a tree stump and move them about to get them at different angles.

5061633867_357477e67e_o.jpg

5061633747_4f1ae7086b_o.jpg

5061633569_59e0e252ee_o.jpg

According to Wikipedia, this species allegedly improves the quality of the wood used in string instruments, in lightening its structure, in particular that of the back usually in maple.

Any c&c welcome

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Dawn :)

Last edited:
Well spotted (y)
Thanks for the bit of background as well.
At least you didn't spot them under your bag when you picked it up:LOL:

Last edited:
Well spotted (y)
Thanks for the bit of background as well.
At least you didn't spot them under your bag up:LOL:

Thanks Stuart,

:LOL:

I try to put a bit of general knowledge with some of my pics, if and when I have the time; it make my photography all the more interesting to learn about the subjects I photograph.

Cheers

Great shots Dawn, we call them Dead Mans Fingers, if I had to pick a fav it would be #2 (y)

Thanks Dave, looking through my reference books and online search I identified these as Dead Moll's fingers Xylaria longipes because they are more slender than Dead-man's Fingers Xylaria polymorpha which has a more club-shaped composite fruit body, shorter stem and rounded tip.

Both are of the Xylariaceae family (as is Candle-snuff fungus, Xylaria hypoxylon.

BTW how was Appleby & The Lakes, did you get any fungi pics?

Cheers

Back