Interesting 3rd party Canon 5DmkII battery grip issue

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
So... I've just bought a cheap 3rd party battery grip from e-bay for my 5Dmk2. It isn't a Phottix or one of the other known brands, just a compatible one that's about £20 cheaper. It does look awfully like the phottix ones, even down to the blue printing below two of the three buttons and the rectangular identification plate on the bottom where the Phottix brand is, but now I have it in the flesh there are one or two very minor issues which make me think it isn't directly off the Phottix production line. Having said that, I'm quite pleased with the quality for the price, BUT I'm having problems with it recognising batteries. I have 2 batteries - one genuine Canon, the other a 7-day shop compatible (if it is put in the battery chamber, it reads shots/%age left fine).

Plugging one battery into the grip and bringing up the battery information window the camera thinks it has 2 batteries in the grip. Taking photos, the "two" batteries alternate in terms of shutter count. That is, if I start with "both" batteries showing 0 shots, pressing the shutter once will show 1 battery has taken one shot, the second shutter increments the second battery count etc. It does this with both batteries (i.e. they behave the same).

If I plug both batteries into the grip, the camera turns on with a "can't communicate with this battery" message and I get no battery status, although everything else works fine.

Given the grip reports two batteries when only the original Canon one is in there, I think this is either a faulty unit or a design fault. Not sure which at the moment but leaning towards a design issue.

Anyone seen this before? If you have, did you get a replacement and did it work OK?

Yes, I know the "you get what you pay for" saying.... ;)

Send it back as faulty and buy a MeiKe one, works identical to an origional one and has metal gears not plastic in the thumbscrew.

I have one on my 5d2 and it's the bizz.

Funnily enough, looking at this one, it appears to be identical to the MeiKe one.... (might have taken a peek inside ;))

Just for completeness should any one else see this problem. I've now bought an original Canon one. Buttons are better and closer to the 5Dmk2, feels sturdier and best of all, the batteries get reported correctly :)

Back