Review [Review] - Amateur review of LED Macro "flash" (Ring48)

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon all,

Firstly I'll start of with a vital facts.
  • I'm fairly new to DSLRs and haven't yet won the lottery so I try out cheepie things from ebay, in short I've never used the big expensive kit to compare it against.
  • This is NOT a flash no matter how it is described, it is just on or not at the flick of a switch, so is not triggered by the camera. Sort of obvious but where I've seen complaints on Amazon its usually because they did not read the description.
  • This was posted on another forum, but as I find myself drawn more and more to using here as my main source of info I thought I would post it here for you guys, but also bear in mind I originally wrote this in July and since then I sold a kidney, lung, children and bought some stuff ;)
Anyway on to the review.

The first thing that surprised me was that it came in a big shiny box (I'm used to things chucked in a jiffy bag!).

4811832529_2cc4f45c29_z.jpg

Here are a couple more unboxing shots so you can see what you get.

4811834055_925366cbae_z.jpg

4811835461_b4a9dac48a_z.jpg

The box contents are:

The ring itself
Six ring adapters (49, 52, 55, 58, 62 & 67mm) - which is handy as it for my DCR250 as well as my normal lenses
A power supply for mains connection when in the studio/home, but it does run on 2xAA batteries.

Now for a bit of the back of the box fluff:

Effective Distance: 1.1" to 40" (3cm - 100cm)
Power Rate: Semi, Full (I think this means that it can do full ring or left/right sides independently)
Service Time: 1.5 hours
LED: 48
Colour Temp: 5500K +- 6500K

Okay now on with some a few actual images and a brief precursor.

Other than adding a signature and some exif data these images have not been modified at all, so hopefully reflect what you'd get, but as I was in AP mode some of the settings adjusted (hence adding the exif data)

For the most part I'll let the images do the talking.

All images were taken in a naturally lit room relatively close to a window, but as you'll see the camera sets a high ISO when no flash is used at all.

Just one last image before I continue - one of it attached to the camera:

4814972247_02bab6ba6b_z.jpg

I'll break off at this point as I didn't realise there's an six image restriction on posts when I wrote up the whole thing before posting :(

Last edited:
Now these next set of images were taken at 2 feet away (61cm) with an eye to seeing how at even pretty close range the falloff way quite high, but then this is sold as a macro ring so we should not be surprised.

I'll start off with two shots - no flash and built in flash just as a comparison.

4811836753_bfee03784d_z.jpg

4812462564_49a26edb58_z.jpg

The next images show the different lighting available using the three on ring settings - Full, Left (where only the left hand side LEDs are lit) and right (guess how that works )

Righty on to the more useful stuff.

4811839187_1fe0cf0e09_z.jpg

4811840617_fd12f74eb7_z.jpg

4811841841_f0fe265c9c_z.jpg

Well to my untrained eye that's not done a bad job really.

Next on to the real purpose of the ring - macro.
For this I've attached the Raynox DCR-250 (yes another cheapie bit of kit!) and got a wee bit closer - 3 inches (7.5cm) to be exact(ish), ah now as I forgot to add scale the coin measures 2cm across.

Again I'll start with the reference shots - no flash and built in.

4811843409_493f8e6485_z.jpg

4811848183_5f7bc8b98f_z.jpg

Now to the images you probably scrolled through all this waffle to get to

4811844775_21e34ed03d_z.jpg

4811845729_c31629762e_z.jpg

4812472054_6d8547a449_z.jpg

I think the images speak for themselves - not bad

No doubt I could have gone softbox, but as I intend to be pootling about in the wilds annoying minibeasts its not too useful dragging a dirty great box about.

Ah, yes the cost - this chappie set me back - £32.49 (free p&p) from ebay - just search for Macro Ring Flash LED

Anyway I hope this may be of use to some and there are larger versions of the images available on my flickr site

John

Hi John good review.
I got one of these last summer but not got round to haveing a play with it yet

Thanks for taking the time to right this up
i had been thinking about one of these for a while rather than a ring flash
not a lot of info on the tinternet about them so most informative

R33SY

Am I right in assuming that in terms of actual quantity of light, it doesn't produce very much? I see that your shots were at very high ISO settings...

Thanks for the review John. Do you think it would be any good for shooting video or does it not really throw out enough light for that purpose?

@Garry - Sadly I did this a long time, I'm not a strobist so probably wouldn't know if something had a poor quality of light if it hit me with a fish! However it was taken in a poorly lit room if that is helpful at all.

@Steve - I think the lack of range could be an issue for video.

Back