Nikon D7000 - *DEAD/ HOT/ STUCK PIXEL THREAD*

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Ok, received my new D7000 today and it's got around 20 or so (no joke) stuck pixels - various red, green and blue all over the place.

I wish I'd done a bit more research before I bought this as it seems like a recurring problem looking on some of the American web sites tonight.

Seems to be a video only problem, but as the main reason I bought this camera was for the video function that's a moot point. The problem happens at all settings and at all iso settings.

If anyone else out there has just received a D7000 please could you do a quick test. The easiest way is to keep your lens cap on and flick it into video mode - you *should* see a nice totally black screen and not any specks of colour.

Needless to say I'm really Fu**ed off and am contemplating whether to return it for a replacement, and risk another bad copy and several weeks of hassle, or just get a full refund and wait a few months until Nikon have sorted this apparent mess out. :thumbsdown:

Last edited:
Hmmmm I had seen the posts on DPR but assumed that was just a bad few copies. I have just carried out the same test on mine and I can see 5 green and 1 blue irrespective of ISO setting. The blue one is quite hard to see....

I think I can live with it at the moment as they are with the exception of 1 on the very edges of the sensor.

Oh dear. Doesn't sound as bad as mine, but still not acceptable. It seriously doesn't bother you? I guess if you're not really going to use the video function much it won't. However, I'm planning to use the video function for pro work/ features, so even 1 stuck pixel is just not on for me.

Doing a bit more research sounds like mine are 'stuck' rather than dead or hot pixels. ie they are always there at any setting and as soon as you turn the camera on cold.

Anyone else?....

Well I cant see them on this clip I uploaded to Youtube, granted it might have been lost in their processing of course... I suppose I should check the original file.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l4HFdJOV7E

*just checked - cant see them on the actual video file I took.

I have no experience with nikons, but this is worth a try...

The Canon EOS 5D has something of a stuck pixel problem, but they appear slowly over time at high ISO (in still images of course, rather than video).

It can be fixed by putting the camera into sensor cleaning mode for a little while - in addition to flipping the mirror up and allowing access to the sensor, it sets all of the photosites in the sensor to drain any residual charge out. It "unsticks" the stuck pixels.

Is it worth trying the same thing on the D7000, since it won't cost you anything? If it doesn't work then I apologise for wasted time/false hope.

It can be fixed by putting the camera into sensor cleaning mode for a little while - in addition to flipping the mirror up and allowing access to the sensor, it sets all of the photosites in the sensor to drain any residual charge out. It "unsticks" the stuck pixels.
Myth d'urbain... ;)

Well I cant see them on this clip I uploaded to Youtube, granted it might have been lost in their processing of course... I suppose I should check the original file.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l4HFdJOV7E

*just checked - cant see them on the actual video file I took.

I couldn't see any on your youtube clip. Do me a favour and do the lens cap on test though, and do it in a dark room. Then you'll be sure....

I couldn't see any on your youtube clip. Do me a favour and do the lens cap on test though, and do it in a dark room. Then you'll be sure....

Yep - the results in my first post were with the lens cap on.

I tried to record a clip with the lens cap on and you cant see them in the clip. You can only see the pixes at near max zoom.

Jeez..... You've got more than 16 million pixels and only 20 or so are a bit dead! ;)

Last edited:
Just bumping this - need to gauge how wide spread a problem it is ie I need to make a decision whether to go for a refund and wait a few months for Nikon to sort out the issues, or go down the route of testing various replacements.

So, any other D7000 owners out there care to do the stuck pixel test in video mode?

Just a thought: how often do you need video of the inside of your lens cap?
How often do you view said video at max zoom?

If it's unnoticable in practice, then it matters not, surely?

Just a thought: how often do you need video of the inside of your lens cap?
How often do you view said video at max zoom?

If it's unnoticable in practice, then it matters not, surely?

It's very much a real world problem and very noticeable in practice. In the test videos I've shot any area that is remotely dark has stuck pixels screaming out at you rendering it entirely useless.
The lens cap test is just the quickest, easiest way to identify the stuck pixels. I actually have about 40 on further testing!

I must say my faith in Nikon has been rocked a bit by this. After owning the D3 since release day with not a single problem, I'm really disappointed. I'm trying to determine if it's an endemic problem with the first batch, or just a few isolated incidents and I've struck unlucky.

Thing is, I suspect most people will be buying this camera primarily for stills and see the video feature as very much a secondary bonus. They probably aren't too fussed about a few stuck pixels that only show in videos. However, my main purpose for this camera will be video, so it has to be 100% right.

Last edited:
I disagree - I think a lot of people will be buying this camera primarily for the video capability - otherwise they'd have stuck with non-video capable designs...

The Nikon bods at Photokina that I spoke to were incredibly confident (smugly-so in fact) that with the new releases in this field, they would be pulling the rug out from under Canon in a big way.
If what you say is true then they've dropped the ball, big-time.

I'd send it back immediately: you may be the recipient of one of a bad sensor batch...

Oh it's going back don't worry.

Now then, the lack of replies on this stuck pixels thread is either:

a) A good sign as the problem I'm describing is quite rare, and I just got a duffer

b) Because there seems to be lack of posts/ excitement about the D7000 on TP generally, and the low numbers who actually got one at UK launch haven't got around to using video properly/ haven't noticed and stuck pixels, yet...

I really really hope it's the first one.

are you sure tthe stuck pixels are on the sensor and not the screen?

Thanks Adam. Did you zoom in though on the LCD screen image just to be sure, and were you in a dark broom cupboard at the time? Slightly jokin :) but did you do a thorough check young man?

That's 2 on here though that seem to be ok which is very good to hear.

As my K-5 uses the same sensor I thought I had better check.

This download makes things a bit easier.

Nice find - does it also test for 'stuck' pixels though? I'm no expert on this but I believe there are differences between dead, hot and stuck pixels and the way in which they manifest. Mine are the stuck variety I believe.

Oh, and have you got any?

Nice find - does it also test for 'stuck' pixels though? I'm no expert on this but I believe there are differences between dead, hot and stuck pixels and the way in which they manifest. Mine are the stuck variety I believe.

Oh, and have you got any?

Not sure what the difference is between stuck/hot/dead pixels to be honest.

It said I had a couple of hot pixels but the K-5 has a pixel mapping feature so I used that, re-did the test and it has sorted them.

In case anyone is interested - the stuck pixel problem continues.

I'm now on the 3rd D7000 body and all 3 have had the problem. 2 and 3 were from different shipments I believe.

The first had about 40, red, green, blue and white over all areas, and quite frankly should have been binned when it was returned.

The second had 2 - 1 huge blue one and another fainter blue.

The third, (which I had them test in the store with the lens cap on test and send me a vid) didn't display any in dark areas of footage and I thought I'd found a winner. However on testing properly myself at home it had 2 green stuck pixels that were permanently on in any mid-tone area of footage.

I draw the line at testing 3 bodies, and I'm just going a for a full refund now. I would say Nikon have a big problem on their hands here unless I've been monumentally unlucky.

Time to wait for the mythical D800 methinks (which is the full frame DSLR with 1080 video I really want anyway if I'm honest). Hopefully Nikon will have sorted their sensor quality control out by then....

Last edited:
Myth d'urbain... ;)

Not at all. I had a few stuck pixels on my 550D. Doing a manual sensor clean has got rid of them. I dont know how or why it works but it does and that is what matters.

In case anyone is interested - the stuck pixel problem continues.

I'm now on the 3rd D7000 body and all 3 have had the problem. 2 and 3 were from different shipments I believe.

The first had about 40, red, green, blue and white over all areas, and quite frankly should have been binned when it was returned.

The second had 2 - 1 huge blue one and another fainter blue.

The third, (which I had them test in the store with the lens cap on test and send me a vid) didn't display any in dark
areas of footage and I thought I'd found a winner. However on testing properly myself at home it had 2 green stuck pixels that were permanently on in any mid-tone area of footage.

yep same here , on my first one though but did notice a few hot pixels on the video more pronounced at iso 1600 and above , no problems with stills though. still will be sending it back to amazon for a refund.
I draw the line at testing 3 bodies, and I'm just going a for a full refund now. I would say Nikon have a big problem on their hands here unless I've been monumentally unlucky.

Time to wait for the mythical D800 methinks (which is the full format camera I wanted anyway if I'm honest). Hopefully Nikon will have sorted their sensor quality control out by then....

same here mines going back to Amazon a few hot pixels on video at iso 1600 and above quite noticible. images are top notch though , may wait a bit longer for another. Prices have started falling slowly

Last edited:
:shrug:not sure about the point of that last post:shrug:

Ah thats better!

Last edited:
same here mines going back to Amazon a few hot pixels on video at iso 1600 and above quite noticible. images are top notch though , may wait a bit longer for another. Prices have started falling slowly

Why would the pixels only be 'stuck' above 1600 ISO? :thinking:

I have been in two minds about the D7000, but I have to say these reports are putting me off, when video would be one of the main reasons for getting one. Will wait for a D400 (or maybe even 800) I think.

I said the pixels are more noticible at 1600 and above but can be seen at lower iso's. dont know why they are there as i don't know the technical reason behind this but i do know that i do not like the apperence of these on my 50" plasma when viewing the video

Sorry wasn't questioning your statement, just wondering why if anyone knew why that would be.

That's disappointing that they show up on the TV.

The third, (which I had them test in the store with the lens cap on test and send me a vid) didn't display any in dark areas of footage and I thought I'd found a winner.

At least it sounds like the shop have been helpful? Where did you buy the camera from? Am tempted to pay the premium and buy from Jessops - at least then if I was to get a dud, it would be easier to sort than from an online retailer.
Stuff like this is off putting, but then you read other sites like http://artoftheimage.blogspot.com, which makes me want to go out and buy it tomorrow :bang:

At least it sounds like the shop have been helpful? Where did you buy the camera from? Am tempted to pay the premium and buy from - at least then if I was to get a dud, it would be easier to sort than from an online retailer.
Stuff like this is off putting, but then you read other sites like http://artoftheimage.blogspot.com, which makes me want to go out and buy it tomorrow :bang:

I bought it from Digital Depot, for a very good price I might add - the guys who advertise here on TP. They have a physical store (which is hundreds of miles away from me so everything had to be couriered and re-couriered) and a good online presence.

I have to say their customer service has been absolutely brilliant over my D7k troubles and I will most definitely buy from them in the future. I'm so glad a bought if from a good UK store like them, the thought of having these troubles and having to deal with a shady outfit fills me with dread.

Last edited:
Took the plunge and got one today. Tried the video test and can't see any colour specks at all. However in photos there is a dead pixel.

Bought a three year warranty with the camera, covers it against damage, servicing, and malfunctions. Not bothered about a single pixel, (my D80 had about 10-15 which was annoying though!) so will just keep an eye on it to make sure no more appear.

are the dead pixels seen on the preview screen or do you need to view them on a large screen ?

tried a quick recording here but couldn't see anything on the camera screen.

My long awaited D7000 arrived today with the kit lens , after a nervous wait for the first battery charge , i fired off a few shots , then into movie mode and did the lens cap test for the hot pixels , downloaded it to Nikon's Nx 2 that came with the kit to view the movie and sure as hell there they were 4 or 5 red pixels , two right in the middle as clear as crystal and one on each corner about an inch from the top.

Am testing again tomorrow but its going right back to Amazon , software fix or not they should not be dishing them out when they already know theres a problem with them.

Think ill wait for the D700 replacement now .

the manual states a few times that the odd hot pixel is to be expected, however it looks like a fix is on the way:

"The issue of visible hot pixels appearing in videos taken in low light with the D7000 was brought to our attention from a handful of our customers. Although this issue will not cause problems from a practical standpoint, in order to achieve a greater level of customer satisfaction, we have decided to offer a firmware update to reduce such occurrences.

Details will be announced at a later date.

For any enquiries, please contact the Nikon Customer Support Centre.

We look forward to your continued patronage.”

Thanks for this. About to pull the trigger on a D7000 and think I'd rather buy from a physical shop so I can test for this before handing over the cash......

Back