Brecon Beacons loony meet pic's -

Cheers Chewy! Superb day out - amazing conditions and some great photo ops.

Road conditions were terrible. Head of the Valleys road was bad; Maccy Dee's car park could not be stood up in; A4109 was on the verge of being impassable and the minor road to the start point was indescribable. My car didn't make it up the worst hill (3 attempts) and I had to hike up the road to catch the rest up. Cue BMW jokes... All I'll say is that 2+ tons of car on wide low profile tyres with rear wheel drive is not a good combination for snow. Stan's video was taken just after we left the main road - the wheel lines are not down to tarmac but are through fresh snow down to a thick layer of black ice; conditions got far worse higher up! Mark's car was spotted sliding gently down the car park with no one in it - it was that bad!

Conditions underfoot were tough - about 6-8 inches of powder snow on top of tussocky boggy hillside - never managed to keep with the path, we lost it low down and never found it again.

However it was worth it; the day delivered in spades.
Stunning piccies of wild landscapes and abstract ice patterns on the lake followed by ice waterfalls on the way down.
All capped off by a long recovery natter in front of a huge stove in the Ancient Briton (cracking pub, will bookmark for a return visit).
Watch this space :)

Last edited:
1) The intrepid group of explorers arrive at their destination. This isn't highly processed - it was really like this!
20101204-091008-IMG_8721.jpg

2) Stan The Man caught in action
20101204-092145-IMG_8752.jpg

3) Looks like it is taken on the Alaskan Coast; difficult to believe it is Wales
20101204-093139-IMG_8779.jpg

4) One of my favourites from the day
20101204-093858-IMG_8785.jpg

5) Beached Whales? The water should only have been a few inches deep....
20101204-094147-IMG_8798.jpg

6) Existent giving the landscape scale
20101204-094938-IMG_8820.jpg

7) One of the many icy waterfalls. I'm sure the others will be along posting better piccies shortly; but I'm OK with this one.
20101204-112515-IMG_8881.jpg

8) Stan living up to the thread title - the loony meet...
20101204-113026-IMG_8905.jpg

9) HERE BE DRAGONS... I love water shots; you never know what you are going to get. This dragon's head was a complete surprise. Really spooky!
20101204-114959-IMG_8981.jpg

Gutted i missed this, can't wait to see the rest guys!

Cracking photos from you Duncan as per usual!

looks like it was the sort of meet you will never forget. Well done for braving those conditions. Looking forward to seeing more shots later. :)

yep,a really great day out yesterday...great to catch up with aquaintances old and new.as said,it really does feel like an alaskan coast.duncan..love the water/dragon shot..brill spot mate..already looking forward to our next meet.here's some of mine from the day...

llynyfanfawr2.jpg

llynyfanfawr.jpg

edit-4.jpg

llynyfanfawr3.jpg

a big thanks to neil [chewyuk] for organising this :clap:

christ in some pics it looks like you were in the antartic :D

Glad you had a great time folks... very sorry I wasn't able to get up there with you. Seriously, very sorry.

I'm ever so envious of you lot. I lived in Wales for a good few years and never went up there, how utterly stupid of me :bang:. I was hoping to be able to be back in UK / Wales this year for winter, but that didn't happen either :(

Worst of all, I see you've had an outstanding snow-coverrage and nice group too.

Wonderful series of shots in this thread; loved the one titled "Beached Whales", something I've been called all too often :p

If I had to pick one shot from the lot, and I don't mean to be rude to other shots here as many others are great too, but this one stands out for me (y)

Who knows, may be next year I'd be able to make it :shrug:; until then, I can view and live the experience vicariously ;) ... keep them pictures coming in, please :)

Not bad, id loved to have been there too.. next time maybe..

A great set of images.. Stan, your Sony did a good job.. did you have it on CB Radio mode in the video?? lol..

I'm ever so envious of you lot. I lived in Wales for a good few years and never went up there, how utterly stupid of me :bang:. I was hoping to be able to be back in UK / Wales this year for winter, but that didn't happen either :(

Worst of all, I see you've had an outstanding snow-coverrage and nice group too.

Wonderful series of shots in this thread; loved the one titled "Beached Whales", something I've been called all too often :p

If I had to pick one shot from the lot, and I don't mean to be rude to other shots here as many others are great too, but this one stands out for me (y)

Who knows, may be next year I'd be able to make it :shrug:; until then, I can view and live the experience vicariously ;) ... keep them pictures coming in, please :)

:agree:

love the shots duncan & mark..

I like the fact that you can actually see how heavy it was snowing up at the lake (y)

duncan - love that 3rd shot.. it feels like a totaly remote/isolated place. you can sell it as Antarctica for sure. Also like that dragon/water shot. I can see now why you spent so long staring down the rocks and water :LOL:

mark - getting wet was definitely worth that low angle shot; excellent..

I just got the chance to transfer all the photos and going through them now - expect lots of b&w from me :D

Great stuff well done, superb ......................but............

Just goes to prove they're not all locked away !!!!!:wacky:

Fantastic(y)

They do let us out sometimes... :LOL::LOL:

Just few of mine... lots of white ones...

1)
Llanfawr_0005.JPG

2)
Llanfawr_0023.JPG

3)
Llanfawr_0029.JPG

4)
Llanfawr_0033.JPG

5)
Llanfawr_0056.JPG

Great idea guys. I think that while seeing the final photos from a trip is great, you don't get a real sense of how much fun landscape photography can be unless you document it like this!

Brilliant photos guys, would love to go out for a day like that!

Brilliant photos guys, would love to go out for a day like that!
Chewy and the two Marks were discussing the possibility of a sunset meet somewhere in this area, maybe Feb.
Sunset is much more sociably acceptable; i.e. it's not at stupid o'clock and you have all day to get up there.
Hopefully this'll prompt them into starting the thread.

Mark, Mark, Neil, Essen - great photos! Really captured the feel of the day (y)

:) I'd get the llyn y Fan Fawr return thread up this evening :)

Essen, Great shots, Sorry for my complete slacking, had another 1 hour nights kip last night!
I do love the way these are almost documentary, somebody mentioned it in an ealier post and I have to agree, almost always you just post the final shot in all its glory, I think in my future I may just change a few things.
Tell a tale....

Existent, the thrid shot in your set, have you tried a landscape shot, cutting off the bottom of the photo? I think it would look great and you would see more detail if you cut it losing the majority of the snowy bit below the second waterfall?
I would do a quick crop, but you don't have editing ticked.

Great shots everyone, would love to have joined you, but waaaay to cold for me!

Back