Beautiful days - Newton Faulkner

Name
Sammy
Edit My Images
Yes
These are some my favourite images that i took during Beautiful Days 2010.
Critique and Comments welcome.

Taken on my canon 400D. I used canon 50mm f1.8 and cannon 55-250 f4.

48.jpg

41.jpg

This one was quite difficult to capture, as the strobe lighting was really bright.

Hi Sammy,
The first is a little out of focus, not sure what AF selection point you used but the camera has focussed on the mic. Just use the centre point and aim for the eye.
No 2 is a much nicer shot but generally you get a better perspective if you had taken the shot from the other side. He would have been more front on and the mic stand won't be in the way. Because of the way a guitarist stands at an angle you also get them flat on and therefore more in focus. Have a look through some of mine [not saying there brill!], particularly the focus and angle of shot. You will really struggle with a long F4 lens in most venues the 50mm 1.8 is great.

BTW I noticed in your profile that you have a 5DII, these have 9 hidden AF points around the centre point, great for fast focussing on moving or distant subjects but not so good close up. The centre point may well be on the face but the hidden points may pick up a better contrasting subject so turn em off!

Hope that is helpful!

Dunc

Number one was supposed to be taken in this way. If you can see the full image i think it looked quite good (but thats just my opinion). I thought i would try something a bit different.

The second image was difficult to catch as there was about 10 of us in the photographers pit, so was trying to take photographs and not get in anyones way. (And the bloke that was getting in everyones way was ****ing everyone off, i didn't fancy being that person!)

My first time in a photographers pit :D

Number one was supposed to be taken in this way. If you can see the full image i think it looked quite good (but thats just my opinion). I thought i would try something a bit different.

The second image was difficult to catch as there was about 10 of us in the photographers pit, so was trying to take photographs and not get in anyones way. (And the bloke that was getting in everyones way was ****ing everyone off, i didn't fancy being that person!)

My first time in a photographers pit :D
Ah Life in the pit! You will learn to use your weight or lack of it to move around to get the shots you want. Sorry about misunderstanding the first shot, don't have an artistic bone in my body!

Dunc

Also meant to mention that the 5DII has a cunning thing called 'safety shift', really useful!! Look it up in the manual and pm me if you want a practical guide!!

Dunc

Back