Macro Lens for Sony a200

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. So... I have a Sony DSLR plus a 75-300 zoom lens.

My passion is "bugs"... 6 legged, not 8 legged :puke:, ice, leaves, cobwebs, dragonfly wings, compound eyes, dew drops, abstract - ya know... that sorta thing

close ups

macro!

I would like to know what y'all think is the best thing to do re getting a macro lens - is there one that will fit the Sony but is interchageable with other camera makes?

I do like my Sony (except for the noise) and I use auto for most everything as I'm pretty useless at working out manual and at present I use my zoom lens for all my close up shots, which of course is not the best plan in the world. However, I'm considering biting the bullet and going for a new camera and if I do (which is likely as I feel the need) then it's going to have to be something that lasts me a good few years :thinking:

any advice please?

I need a fairly light weight camera due to cacky hands tho I appreciate all cameras are going to be 'heavy' - when I shoot tho I feel no pain and must learn to breathe! ;)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated :)

The lens you have linked to is not a true macro lens, as it only gives a magnification of 1:2. A true macro lens will give you 1:1.

Have you considered extension tubes, which can be used with your existing lens, and which will give you a shorter minimal focussing distance? Only thing I am unsure about is whether they are available for a Sony.

The lens you have linked to is not a true macro lens, as it only gives a magnification of 1:2. A true macro lens will give you 1:1.

Have you considered extension tubes, which can be used with your existing lens, and which will give you a shorter minimal focussing distance? Only thing I am unsure about is whether they are available for a Sony.

yep,extension tubes are available for sony...certainly kenko make as i have them.i've only used them with my sigma 105 macro lens though,and not with any other lens that i have.

Thank you

aha... errrrrrrrrrr... what's an extension tube?

(amateur here :D)

the big lens I have at the moment is a SONY 1.5m/4.9ft macro... which isn't what I thought a macro was - well, it's not a macro, it's a big zoom!

I mean it can get close up but not REAL close up

in other words, when I want to do a real close up I have to stand well back and can't get good shots of compound eyes etc because it won't focus (it doesn't even try to focus unless I step back)

I have a tiny little compact Panasonic Lumix which has macro on it and I can get right up close to do bugs and dewdrops etc (but the camera is bust so that's not much good right now) - but, when it works, it is so much better than a this DSLR

these are extension tubes...

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-kenko-dg-canon-af-extension-tubes-set-36mm-20mm-12mm-/p1005553

basically,they are just tubes with no glass/optics in them,but allow you to get damn close to your chosen subject.

for me though,a dedicated macro lens is the best way forward,and a good lens is the sigma 105 macro,or the tamron 90 macro...both reasonably priced lens' which afford you a decent enough working distance without frightening insects off before you get anywhere near them.these were shot with my sigma 105 macro lens...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stantheman1161/3819601897/in/set-72157625121518421/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stantheman1161/4902598834/in/set-72157625121518421/

hope this helps,but any more questions,just ask and i'll do my best to help (y)

thanks Mark

yep... those are just the sort of pics I want to take... yes.... YES :clap:

so... I was just reading up about the Tamron 90mm here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/digital-photography/960744-macro-lens-sony-a200.html

and that seems to be what a lot of folk like

now, will that fit on a Sony d'ya reckon????

and price wise... is this the one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamron-SP-90mm-2-8-AF/dp/B0002232ZQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1292368495&sr=8-4

gosh, there are so many, I wouldnee like to order the wrong one! :eek:

Last edited:
thanks Mark

yep... those are just the sort of pics I want to take... yes.... YES :clap:

so... I was just reading up about the Tamron 90mm here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/digital-photography/960744-macro-lens-sony-a200.html

and that seems to be what a lot of folk like

now, will that fit on a Sony d'ya reckon????

and price wise... is this the one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamron-SP-90mm-2-8-AF/dp/B0002232ZQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1292368495&sr=8-4

gosh, there are so many, I wouldnee like to order the wrong one! :eek:

yep,thats the lens..(y)

not sure at how the price compares,as i'm not familiar with this particular lens.there was a sigma 105 macro for sale in the classifieds on here quite recently for sub £200,but not sure it's still there...may be worth a look if you don't mind 2nd hand...otherwise,it may be worth comparing prices with other sellers to get it the cheapest you can (y)

the Tamron 90mm is a very good lens with the 2.8 aperature, but another to consider in a similar price range is the 60mm Tamron, and it's a little faster at f2 .. both give 1:1 macro

at 60mm,the working distance is smaller,so more chance of scaring those bugs away....also,you won't really be shooting @ F/2-2.8 etc,as the depth of field will be really shallow at those apertures,and would say you would be working at around F/11-16 most of the time..

sometimes it's nice to use wide open though if you just want the impact on a certain spot, as the original post indicates .. for bugs i would generally recommend 90 or 105 because of getting close, or even at a push a longer zoom lens, just you'll lose the 1:1, but sometimes it's a balance between costs and quality

Ive got the Sigma 70mm f/2.8 macro for my sony, its more expensive than the tamron 90mm but i dont think you would benefit from it for bugs. its a great and really sharp lens but ive got it mainly for still life and fine art, it hasnt got the range needed for bugs and such, not even close, id defo go for 90mm + without a doubt.

Thank you so much, thank y'all

decisions decisions a?

So... what is the difference between a 90 and a 105 (ha, waiting for someone to say 15 ;) )

but.... what does that mean?

and these macros - it's OK to use them on auto right? or do they need to be used on manual?

finally - I have bad hands ... so as I was looking around for this lens I saw a remote switch - are they any good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Remote-Control-Minolta-RM-S1AM-RC-1000L/dp/B001C3Z6MQ/ref=pd_bxgy_ce_img_b

any recommendations for that..... ???? wireles????

finally finally ... is this the sigma

http://www.microglobe.co.uk/catalog...sigma-105mm-sigmasony-f28-ex-dg-af-macro-lens

thanks all - can you tell I don't have a clue :D (i just wanna live behind a lens)

Last edited:
at 60mm,the working distance is smaller,so more chance of scaring those bugs away....also,you won't really be shooting @ F/2-2.8 etc,as the depth of field will be really shallow at those apertures,and would say you would be working at around F/11-16 most of the time..

yep... couldnee get close to anything with 8 legs... but... would like to shoot them anyhoo at a little distance - my 75-300 zoom lens just cannot get the detail at all - prolly be fine if it was tarantula... :puke: but then if there was a tarantula within a mile of me, I wouldn't be there :eek:

Birds... I photograph a lotta birds too - again, not getting the detail.

with photographing birds your problem is that you (generally) won't be able to get close to them, so for that i would recommend the Sony 70-300 G lens .. superb in the right lighting conditions.

the difference between 90mm and 105mm is basically the zoom range on the lens .. for example, get your 75-300 on, go to 90mm, then go to 105mm, and the difference is what extra you get on the lenses.

you could use auto on macro, but you'll find you will get better results by not .. stop the aperature down to get better depth of field, or if you need to have it quite wide open switch to manual focus to pinpoint exactly what you need sharpest with the shallow depth.
basically, go somewhere that sells the lenses, take your camera, and try the different ones to see what suits YOU, everybody is different in their requirements.
i've been slated for using sport mode on my A700 at speedway, but i have tried lots of permatations and thats what gives the most balanced results, although on other cameras it might be hopeless.

What is the limit of your budget?

Cheers Steve, thanks for that.

Do you know which stores allow you to do that - when I bought my zoom lens they didn't allow me to try it because the boxes had to be sold sealed... (this was Currys or Dixons or somesuch store - can't remember) which, when you're spending a pile of dosh on a lens. is a bit off really - one should be able to try a lens, right!?

I guess a dedicated photo shop oughta do that tho a? Somewhere like Jessops? I guess I could call a couple and find out if they let you do that. Yep, will do that. <Housebound right now so not able to go anywhere for a little while!>

Cheers Steve, thanks for that.

Do you know which stores allow you to do that - when I bought my zoom lens they didn't allow me to try it because the boxes had to be sold sealed... (this was Currys or Dixons or somesuch store - can't remember) which, when you're spending a pile of dosh on a lens. is a bit off really - one should be able to try a lens, right!?

I guess a dedicated photo shop oughta do that tho a? Somewhere like Jessops? I guess I could call a couple and find out if they let you do that. Yep, will do that. <Housebound right now so not able to go anywhere for a little while!>

Warehouse Express will allow it in the showroom, the Sigma & Tamron lenses aren't sealed, but more locally for you a Jessops store should be ok.

ive got the tamron 90mm on my a200 cracking lens most of these where taken with it i'm probably not that far from you pm me we maybe able to meet up and i'll let you have a try
Good pictures AND you know your mushrooms, very impressive!
:clap:

When looking for a macro lens you need to be aware of a couple of things Minimum working distance (MWD) and magnification ratio which will always be a minimum of 1:1 on a true macro lens.

MWD is the distance from the lens front element to subject where maximum magnification is achieved - heres a few examples

•Sigma 50mm f2.8 EX DG Macro Lens working distance = 4cm / 1.6 inches
•Sigma 70mm f2.8 EX DG Macro Lens working distance = 11.2cm / 4.4 inches
•Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro Lens working distance = 12cm / 4.7 inches
•Sigma 150mm f2.8 EX DG Macro Lens working distance = 22.7cm / 9 inches

Magnification Ratio is how big a image is projected onto your sensor , a image of a ruler shot at 1:1 (life size) will show the same size as the sensor in you camera which on your Sony would be 23.6mm.

here's one from a canon crop body @ 1:1

1-1.jpg

at 1:2 (half life size) you will see 2 x your sensor size @ 47.2mm

1:2 from a Canon Crop

1-2.jpg

Also as you will be using small apertures to maximize DOF (personally f11-16 mostly for me) you will need a diffused flash to get the most from any macro lens.

ive got the tamron 90mm on my a200 cracking lens most of these where taken with it i'm probably not that far from you pm me we maybe able to meet up and i'll let you have a try

Seriously????

That would be fab.

I'm a newbie here so not sure if PM will work yet (do you have to make a certain amount of posts before PM privilege?) - will give it a go tho. Just looked at your wesbite and ha... you musta passed my house at some stage between Brentor and Lydford ;)

Super cool... THANK YOU THANK YOU!

When looking for a macro lens you need to be aware of a couple of things Minimum working distance (MWD) and magnification ratio which will always be a minimum of 1:1 on a true macro lens.

MWD is the distance from the lens front element to subject where maximum magnification is achieved - heres a few examples

&#8226;Sigma 50mm f2.8 EX DG Macro Lens working distance = 4cm / 1.6 inches
&#8226;Sigma 70mm f2.8 EX DG Macro Lens working distance = 11.2cm / 4.4 inches
&#8226;Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro Lens working distance = 12cm / 4.7 inches
&#8226;Sigma 150mm f2.8 EX DG Macro Lens working distance = 22.7cm / 9 inches

Magnification Ratio is how big a image is projected onto your sensor , a image of a ruler shot at 1:1 (life size) will show the same size as the sensor in you camera which on your Sony would be 23.6mm.

here's one from a canon crop body @ 1:1

1-1.jpg

at 1:2 (half life size) you will see 2 x your sensor size @ 47.2mm

1:2 from a Canon Crop

1-2.jpg

Also as you will be using small apertures to maximize DOF (personally f11-16 mostly for me) you will need a diffused flash to get the most from any macro lens.

Hey Paul

Ah, now that is really good - I was trying to figure out how close you can get and all that... I think either the 70 or 105 as I can't see me EVER getting 4or5 cm from something with 8 legs!!!!!!!! Bugs, yep, can do up close and personal... spiders... errrrrrrr me think no <ahem>

(do feel really daft asking questions all the time)

Then I think - hmmm... perhaps the 150 as Chris suggested, because you prolly can't get all that close to bugs without them ending up flying in your mouth...

if only I could figure out how to actually work my camera properly- I've been trying all morning on different settings in the snow (YAYAYAY - we finally had snow for the FIRST time last night) - anyhooo... they're either too dark, too light, too blech! I'm going :wacky: Then I just put the camera on auto again to make myself feel better. Cracking little nutchatch this morning... oh, love a nuthatch.

I live with my camera in my hand (no, really, sad person that I am) - I just need to figure it out!

Thank you very much for the info.

Back