Basketball: Manchester VS Durham

tom

Edit My Images
No
Hey guys,

My first attempt in basketball for about 5 years, and first with a 1 series! Missed my first quarter due to getting stuck in the snow, and then the rest of that half adjusting AF settings etc, all a good re-customisation!

1)
TWP_9737.jpg

2)
TWP_9760.jpg

3)
TWP_9824.jpg

4)
TWP_9820.jpg

5)
TWP_9821.jpg

Last edited:
6)
TWP_9833.jpg

7)
TWP_9839.jpg

8)
TWP_9841.jpg

9)
TWP_9862.jpg

10)
TWP_9866.jpg

The 85mm USED to be my favourite lens for basketball on crop, but find it far far too short on full frame. Time to get saving for the 135mm F2! All shots bar 1 or 2 are with a 70-200 F2.8 @ f3.2, iso3200, 1/250th

Not too happy with them tbh, looking forward to doing some more in the new year though, and getting back up to speed with following the very quick game from the baseline, more than once I lost track of play, something I never used to do! Probably due to me being more out of touch with the game in general, last time I was doing this I was playing at international level myself.

Thanks for looking,

Tom.

Last edited:
Great set Tom, still got the eye for it :D

Colours a bit up and down did you process all the same? Certainly did well with the light though, it looks really bright when you walk in, then you look through the lens and.........:bang:

Phil.

Hi Phil,

I did seem to find that I was having to slightly tweak the colours depending on the location of the player, maybe ive inadvertently done more damage than good! was only tweaking the "tint" by around 7 or so points from one extreme to the other)

Might have to revisit them and reset the whitebalance back to one standard setting, maybe it was my tired eyes imagining things :)

The 1DS certainly handles high ISOs alright, no noise reduction here and an equivelent of around iso5000 once all is told with exposure recovery! Certainly a lot better than my 20D used to be.

Tom.

Not bad with a 1ds . isnt that only three frames per second? The mega pixels will mean pics look great smaller though..

All in all well done.. a good set..

I like using the 135mm on my crop at manchaster.. get some good pics from the other end... but also like going to an angle with the 85mm and getting some crowd in the background.. 50mm is good under the basket .

IMPORTANT QUESTION.. Are you going to be putting galleries of pictures online anywhere?

When are you there again.. you can try my 135mm if I am there:)

Not bad with a 1ds . isnt that only three frames per second? The mega pixels will mean pics look great smaller though..

All in all well done.. a good set..

I like using the 135mm on my crop at manchaster.. get some good pics from the other end... but also like going to an angle with the 85mm and getting some crowd in the background.. 50mm is good under the basket .

IMPORTANT QUESTION.. Are you going to be putting galleries of pictures online anywhere?

When are you there again.. you can try my 135mm if I am there:)

Hey,

It's 5fps, which for me is more than ample, I've never been a big believer in spray and pray even when i had my 40D (which is the best part of 9fps)

I'd like to take you up on your offer of borrowing the 135mm at some point, seems the ideal lens for me!

They are indeed online, and will be being linked to from the match report (or at least they used to be), look on my website (click on my sig, or www.twilight-photography.co.uk ) :) Need to add some more basketball stuff to it, originally it was just an equestrian section!

Do you have MSN Kipax?

Tom.

Last edited:
Next time out there Tom, keep an eye on this guy, #8 Nathan Schall. He likes to dunk ;)

It's 5fps, which for me is more than ample, I've never been a big believer in spray and pray even when i had my 40D (which is the best part of 9fps).

uh oh :( I have a 4 thousand pound profesional sports camera sat next to me that has 10 frames per second.. do you really think canon put that there for people who dont know what they are doing and just spray and pray... Its there for a very good reason and much needed in certain circumstances... nothing at all to do with spray and pray which is insulting to be honest.....

but then again its crimbo so :) :) :)

Yeagh if we are at same game you can borrow my 135mm no problem.. I always have certain lens wiht me on every job no matter what.. the 135mm gets a lot of use.. but 85mm much preffered at BB

Are you doing the compo over crimbo? daytime?

uh oh :( I have a 4 thousand pound profesional sports camera sat next to me that has 10 frames per second.. do you really think canon put that there for people who dont know what they are doing and just spray and pray... Its there for a very good reason and much needed in certain circumstances... nothing at all to do with spray and pray which is insulting to be honest.....

I'm sorry you've taken it that way! Certainly wasn't how it was intended, just a phrase that I've picked up from a computer games. There are different means to acheiving the same end, no wrong or right with method. I have however been next to photographers who practically sat and held the shutter button down for a whole offense and still came out with no shots as they put no thought into it. It's not my style to hold the shutter down, but hey, maybe it should be :D

Yeagh if we are at same game you can borrow my 135mm no problem.. I always have certain lens wiht me on every job no matter what.. the 135mm gets a lot of use.. but 85mm much preffered at BB

Are you doing the compo over crimbo? daytime?

Thanks for that offer, will have to take you up on it. Will you be doing the game on the 15th Jan?

Probably not going to be covering the Haris Charalambous(RIP :() Tournament, only learnt of its timing a few days ago and I have a lot of other commitments over the christmas period!

Cheers

Tom.

Thanks for that offer, will have to take you up on it. Will you be doing the game on the 15th Jan?

Just checked and it clashes.. I cover all accrington stanley fc games home and away and they are at cheltenham on 15th jan... Will check fixtures in jan and see whats what.. might be a mystics game.. I do a lot for local paper as qwel so only know nearer time when i am free.. hence why i dont get to all the home game..

its a good idea to try before you buy and what better way.. so we wills ee if we can find a game :)

It's not my style to hold the shutter down, but hey, maybe it should be :D

for basketball maybe not

If you photographed cricket with 5fps you ahve less chance of a shot where the ball hits the wicket because you would click when batsman batting.. if the ball goes through to the wicket.. you miss it... at 10fps you get either.. or both

If you photogrpahed football your going to click as two players meet for the ball.. but if one player follows through and upends the other player you will miss it..

Players in a rugby tackle.. you want to get the best expresions and more likely wiht more shots..

Even a simple shot like a player runing towards you... one shot and he may have blinked.. a burst of shots and you will get the one with his eyes open and for the money.. thats the shot needed..

Theres loads of examples why a good frame rate can help.. especialy if you depend on a money shot to live ....

No amount of practice or being a good photogrpaher can capture two players heading a ball.. eyes open and sweat flying out when the ball impacts... only luck gets that in one shot.. a quick burts gives you more chance of the exact shot you need.

Like I say they dont put it on a pro camera worth thousands because they think the photogrpaher cant take a good shot :)

However as you say some may sit there constantly holding the button.. they may as well video it and pick a frame...

oh and one more.. i did a kit launch this afternoon.. just players and team pics no action.. i used a good old burst of shots rather than one shot so i can have more chance of getting one will all there eyes open... and i did :)

Just so you know its not all birst and hope :) a good frame rate is a godsend some days :)

Back