Mountain biking in the snow with my new 200mm f2.8 Prime

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Got my new lens off forum member micloi and took some pictures of our Christmas eve ride ! Love the new lens, though with a 1.6x crop factor on my 7d i do have to stand rather far back !
5290192160_eb0305bf7d_z.jpg

5290191246_066dcb806f_z.jpg

5290193128_4e29836cee_z.jpg

5290199098_f442987cfb_z.jpg

5290198064_91c688f9fa_z.jpg

5289590851_ec7a291979_z.jpg

C&C Please. :wave:

These are excellent, crisp & clear & well caught.

My 200mm F2.8 is almost permanently attached to my 7D, and it takes a 1.4TC exceptionally well :)

Looking good! What do you do to protect your camera while out riding?

Not much at all except the odd filter sometimes and make sure i don't stand anywhere to "dangerous", though when I am riding with my bag on I do take care and make sure my lenses are all secure as well as putting my rain cover over to avoid any mud spraying up on my bag. :D

Not much at all except the odd filter sometimes and make sure i don't stand anywhere to "dangerous", though when I am riding with my bag on I do take care and make sure my lenses are all secure as well as putting my rain cover over to avoid any mud spraying up on my bag. :D
yea, thats my issue, i dont like having to take care when riding! flat out is far more fun :p

I like number 5, but think a little cropping may add to the image. Number 4, had the making of a great pic, but I am just not sure about it, the back wheel seems to go a bit strange. I think its the branch causing a bit of blur....who puts a branch in the forest? I blame the rangers.

As already mentioned - beautifully sharp shots. For me, framing is a little odd in a few of them. Would have liked both hands in 1, ever so slightly more on the left in 2, and more at the bottom in 5. Love the action in 3, and although I don't mid stuff in the foreground, like the tree on the left, I would have preferred to see a bit more of the back end of the bike, just to get a better idea of what's going on.

Number 2 is lacking in contrast and looks a bit grey. Both ends of the histogram are empty (especially the light end). Fixing that will improve it no end.

But still a brilliant set. I love the colours and you've got the most out of the lighting.

Very well done. (y)

Thanks for the info Oli. I would of ideally liked both hands in the first one as well, but just getting used to the lens, therefore soemtimes finding placing the rider a bit harder.

And number 2 was done on a custom picture style of super flat, which i use for filming mainly. But i will edit it when i get back home and post a improved version up :)

Chris seager said:
Thanks for the info Oli. I would of ideally liked both hands in the first one as well, but just getting used to the lens, therefore soemtimes finding placing the rider a bit harder.

And number 2 was done on a custom picture style of super flat, which i use for filming mainly. But i will edit it when i get back home and post a improved version up :)

Yeah, I understand what you're saying about framing. It can be frustrating at times, and I imagine more so with a 200mm prime (it's clearly a lovely lens though!). Selecting the best focus point is fairly important, although on my D300s, dynamic focus mode gives me a bit of flexibility. Not sure if the 7D has something similar.

But if, say, you're focussing on the riders head, you should select the focus point nearest to where you want the head to be in the final image. That probably won't be where the head is when you first begin tracking, but as the rider gets nearer, composition will fall into place, if you get what I mean! At least for the head on shots anyway. It's all trial and error though. :)

I really like the 5th pic...love the way the bike frame and rider are so sharp but there is still the motion of the wheels and debris being thrown off them

great timing on number 5! i also like the pan on number 4 i bet his hands were freezing!!

Back