Oil and Water, first attempt (Re-shot)

MWHCVT

In Memoriam
Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
I know that this has been done to death but had a couple of hours to kill so I thought that I would have a go, I don't really have a dedicated macro setup so it was really a bit of a suck it an see session

Please give me some C+C

#1.
8801 YELLOW OIL #1 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Taken with lighting from below with white tissue as a difuser

#2.
8812 YELLOW & BLUE OIL #1 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Taken with lighting from below with white tissue as a difuser

#3.
8873 BLUE & GREEN OIL #1 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Taken with tin foil below to reflect external flash

#4.
8893 COLOURED WATER #2 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Taken with tin foil below to reflect external flash, but with no oil

full set total 8 images, http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwhcvt/sets/72157625683934502/

how to tell mum that I used the only oil in the house that being best extra virgin ;)

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

Matt
MWHCVT

Please let me know what you think

Last edited:
Really interesting. Image 3 is excellant.

Thank you, that is my favourite of the oil images and have made this my background for the time being on my Ipod ;)

Matt
MWHCVT

Last edited:
I don't do Macro, but from an image point of view, the lighting in 1 & 2 is limited to a triangular band with the outer edges dark. It would be nice to have it lit evenly. The bubbles work OK in 1 but are distracting in 2.

3 looks like some alien reptile skin :D

4 I don't like the big dark blob lower right.

But keep it up and try again. I'm finding these really interesting

Cheers

2 and 4 dont really do anythign for me, 1 and 3 look good and cant really fault much, the only thing I can say is that I think that with this type of shot, the photo is made in the detail, so cropping the image closer or getting closer to the subject would be better in my opinion :)

2 and 4 dont really do anythign for me, 1 and 3 look good and cant really fault much, the only thing I can say is that I think that with this type of shot, the photo is made in the detail, so cropping the image closer or getting closer to the subject would be better in my opinion :)

Thanks for your well thought out comments, I agree completely that 1 and 3 are the better of the set, I will try cropping closer in on a selected area to see how that looks I could not get the lens closer to the subject as this was the minimal focal length for my lens.

What do you think to the tin foil as a reflector underneath the subject, I think it worked well, thought maybe smoothing it out would be better idea maybe next time, but I think it worked better than the tissue diffuser over the lamp.

Matt
MWHCVT

yeah, foil works better allows for greater contrast so the boundaries are more visible, not sure how smoothing the foil will affect it, but certainly the position of the flash will have a great affect with the foil, its just guess and see really!

last one is really interesting. something to try which might give what you're doing a more interesting and different effect is to use different coloured lights and play them across or through the water, the little LED torches are really good for that, get a red, green and blue, turn the lights off and play!

last one is really interesting. something to try which might give what you're doing a more interesting and different effect is to use different coloured lights and play them across or through the water, the little LED torches are really good for that, get a red, green and blue, turn the lights off and play!

Thanks, I really appreciate your comments, will look into further lighting was thinking of building a light box to have a play with.

Matt
MWHCVT

I like number one. Another thing to try is 3D effect wrapping paper under the bowl. Keep them coming.

Back