Anyone used The Camera Centre, Cardiff

Name
Sameer
Edit My Images
Yes
Not the actual site, but their Ebay store is selling refurbished UK Nikon D90 + free 1 gb card + Nikon UK 1 year guarantee for £490 incl. p&p.

That seems a good deal considering second hand ones go for around £450 on here so for an extra £40, you get that warranty and piece of mind that if it's faulty, it can be returned, and payment protection (Paypal sourced from credit card).

Are they are a reliable bunch?

I bought a refurbed Sony a450 at a bargain price!

I was more than happy with the product and their service.

My a700 came from them new 18 months ago, no problems.

I went in there with a pocket full of cash to buy my first digital SLR about five years ago. The owner looked down his nose and said he didn't deal with that digital rubbish and I'd have to wait for his son. So off I went never to return I thought. Then the darkroom light broke in work, remembering the 'don't deal with digital' remark off I went for a new lamp. We dont deal in darkroom stuff was the comment.......
Can recommend Walters Photo Video in Caerphilly, really helpful fella there and a tidy website too.

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the D90 from there and received it today. So far, seems good. D90 looks in good nick physically although I have yet to play with it; body and accessories seem new (never owned a refurbished item before so don't know if that's how they are meant to be).
Only hiccup is that there was no warranty card included (which Nikon ask for for any warranty claim), so I have emailed the shop to ask what's supposed to be done in that case.

Any more opinions on them?

I'll soon find out if my gamble was worthwhile. Discovered the D90 is consistently giving me images with severe front focussing when shooting wider than f/4. As mentioned, Nikon ask for the warranty card which I wasn't supplied with. Not sure how the shop can advertise Nikon warranty in their listing - I know the D90 was refurbished but I am 99% sure I got a brand new body as it looked perfect, 60 shutter clicks only and registered on Nikon's site fine). But I have emailed the shop who have said they will sort it out if I send it back to them. Happy to do that by next day delivery and insured etc but slightly weary (being cynical) that something could go wrong with that process. I don't want to end up with a "lost" camera!

Last edited:
ordered a crumpler bag from the ebay site it did not arrive and they sent a replacement straight away no questions or problems so I would buy from them if the price was right.

Cardiff shop was ok when father ran it. Sons are useless and I wouldn't touch it. Aftersales service is non existant. Use Walthers chain of stores: really good experirnce dealing with them.

I did end up sending the camera back to them last Monday and I have been told it got picked up by Nikon on Wednesday. The turnaround is apparently 3 weeks, so will keep my fingers crossed.

So, so far they have done everything they've promised, which is great. Only thing disappointing in their communication is their lack or professionalism.

If it goes well, I might just buy a Crumpler bag being sold on their Ebay store I've had my eye on for a few weeks.

I'll watch this thread with interest, I bought a refurb'd D90 from them a couple of weeks ago. No problems with it so far though *touches wood*.

The girl who served me in the shop was nice enough, I'd buy from them again (even though the shop was a bit manky!).

I'll watch this thread with interest, I bought a refurb'd D90 from them a couple of weeks ago. No problems with it so far though *touches wood*.

The girl who served me in the shop was nice enough, I'd buy from them again (even though the shop was a bit manky!).

Can you tell if you actually got a refurbished version though? Mine appeared to be new (could have been ex display, a return or something) but I have no evidence other than the body looking in mint condition, shutter count still in double figures and registers on Nikon site as normal.

Also, was yours sold with a year's warranty with Nikon?

If it goes well, I might just buy a Crumpler bag being sold on their Ebay store I've had my eye on for a few weeks.

just make sure you get the right size bag, the one we got has ended up being a tight fit for the body with lens attached, other than that a good bag for the price.

Cardiff shop was ok when father ran it. Sons are useless and I wouldn't touch it. Aftersales service is non existant. Use Walthers chain of stores: really good experirnce dealing with them.

I live in Cardiff so know the shop, its been there for years.

went in one day and was only customer, the son was too busy on you tube to notice me, saying that its not a fly by night store and sell quite a range.

dont think its too much of a gamble but walters is nicer(caerphilly) , so too is jacobs and jessops in the city centre.

Can you tell if you actually got a refurbished version though? Mine appeared to be new (could have been ex display, a return or something) but I have no evidence other than the body looking in mint condition, shutter count still in double figures and registers on Nikon site as normal.

Also, was yours sold with a year's warranty with Nikon?

It came in a sealed nikon refurb box so I assume it was. Its like new, unmarked with very few ( a couple of hundred iirc) shots on it. I haent gotround to registering it yet so i dont know if it registers any differently. The camera comes with a 6 moth nikon warranty but the shop owner said they cover them for the year.

It came in a sealed nikon refurb box so I assume it was. Its like new, unmarked with very few ( a couple of hundred iirc) shots on it. I haent gotround to registering it yet so i dont know if it registers any differently. The camera comes with a 6 moth nikon warranty but the shop owner said they cover them for the year.

Oh, what does a sealed Nikon refurb box look like, out of curiosity?

My refurbed body came in a new D90+kit lens box but without the lens. All the cables, manuals, etc were still sealed.

Oh, what does a sealed Nikon refurb box look like, out of curiosity?

My refurbed body came in a new D90+kit lens box but without the lens. All the cables, manuals, etc were still sealed.

It's a black box with a Nikon badge with the writing 'Manufacturer refurbished product' on the side. Sounds like you may have got a display or a return camera?

Any news on the repair?

They said a turnaround of 3 weeks which will be next Wednesday, so I won't get in touch till then.

Well, this has taken an almost expected turn. After a couple of emails saying they would keep me updated on the repair, I received an email today (almost 6 weeks since they received it) now denying having received it altogether. I am of course no mug and took all the precautions, so am emailing them nicely a last time with the intention of getting good news from them within 48h. If not, it will have to get more serious.

Did you pay with your credit card?

Yes I did using Amex, and I even checked with them over the phone that the purchase would be covered under CCA 1974 as I checked out through Paypal and they said yes. So should be covered.

Anyway, the shop replied just now saying they had mixed up the details and that they had chased the repair and they should get it back tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Another 6 days; still nothing. :( :thumbsdown: :nono:

Just sent them final email. I am also going to go the local CAB in town tomorrow and find out the best way to deal with this.

I live in Cardiff and never found them (the Camera Centre) very helpful whenever I've been into the shop. Cameraland, in the next arcade along from them is friendlier, more helpful & also really seem to know their stuff (happy to negotiate on price too).

Right: An update:

I phoned them twice last week and to be fair, both people I spoke to were really apologetic about the delay and did say the camera was still with their repair agen.

True enough, I received the camera back today and the Nikon repair despatch note says it came in on 07/04 and sent 24/05. So it would appear that Nikon took over 6 weeks to fix it.

The repair note does list check/repair/adjust to AF mechanism and gave the whole body a test and clean. :) Not had the chance to test it out yet but fingers crossed, it's as good as new.

Would never ever ever ever ever ever ever go anywhere near there store.

The store is brimmed full of dust. If you look in the window all the items are absolutely covered in dust.

In Cardiff today (staying at hotel - no Polish barman, using my own iPad with 3G, no offers of free beer or glasses!) and had a look at this place - what a tip! The cameras in the front display, new and secondhand, are covered in a thick film of dust I've never seen anything like it! No way I would buy from there unless it was boxed and sealed.

Bought a lens from the shop yesterday at less than their already good ebay price. Guy in there seemed a bit wide-boy-ish but still......

Yeah, it looks a bit grotty from the outside, but I seem to remember going with my dad to the original Jessops shop in Leicester and it didn't look much better!

Bought a lens from the shop yesterday at less than their already good ebay price. Guy in there seemed a bit wide-boy-ish but still......

Yeah, it looks a bit grotty from the outside, but I seem to remember going with my dad to the original Jessops shop in Leicester and it didn't look much better!

Hear what you are saying! The original Jessops on Hinckley road was a bit grotty from the outside.

Hope the Camera Centre are ok as I've just ordered a 17-55 from them for collection in the week.

I ordered a camera bag from Ebay from this company as a Christmas present. It never arrived. I emailed a couple of times asking for tracking no., etc. Only received response after stating I would involve Paypal dispute centre. Asked to phone Cardiff branch/then Newport. I was then told that they had not sent because Paypal had not alerted them? I said that I had paid immediately and had a Paypal receipt. I was then informed that the the bag was now out of stock (maybe it was hiding under a pile of dust?!)but did receive Paypal refund immediately and the chap I spoke to was apologetic. These shops seem v. v. disorganised re: ebay!

They've been there a long time, are a genuine store with good prices. But do seem quite disorganised...

I placed an order with them 7th March via their website, didn't get a confirmation email.
emailed them Thursday, no reply.
Still no goods, will organise a Paypal refund tomorrow.

Can't really say rubbish service, as I haven't had any.

As if by magic my order arrived this morning.
No receipt though, so I'm going to have to contact them again.

Back