Status
Not open for further replies.

gazedd

Ding Dong
Name
Gary Eddleston
Edit My Images
Yes
Welcome to 2011! and Project: Collective30.

This thread is for the entries of the kind photographers that have agreed to join a project I have created.

To remind our fellow 30 friends, please post in the following format:

[Picture]
Name:
Description: (why did you shoot the shot etc)

If you would like to discuss this project further then please do so here: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=284108

Best of luck and lets make this a successful start to 2011! (y)

1st January 2011

5313203002_8ce4935c97_z.jpg

Name: AnnaV

Description: I had lovely ideas of shooting the first sunrise of the year, but the weather meant it was really uninspiring outside today. So sorry for the child shot!

Everyone in the house was asleep apart from us, so I asked my daughter if she would pose for me, and said I would do a portrait of her and her favourite toy for her to have in a frame in her bedroom. I remember I had the same when I was child, and I still have a copy somewhere (the toy was a stuffed Sooty with bald patches from being so well-loved!).

Also, my daughter is having an operation on her gums in two weeks, as her teeth have not come through properly. So this will be one of her last 'gummy' shots. I am sure she will probably remember nothing of the operation, but I will (nervous already!) and it will be another interesting thing for her to see when she is older.

So just another kiddie shot for everyone else, but means a lot to me :)

Technically there are quite a few things I could have improved looking at it now - I took it in front of a window with just the natural light, and in hindsight would have angled her so the light was not so flat. Also I left the light on in the room so had to try and tone down the awkward unbalanced WB. And finally I would have brushed her hair :LOL:

Last edited:
2nd January 2011
5316469645_bbbedc870f_b.jpg

Name: Chris
Description: This isn't my first choice image, or even my second :bang: but it is one I've been meaning to take for a while now. I often drive past the sidings and yet have never taken a picture I'm happy with of them. This is my latest attempt, there are things I'm not happy with, but all in all I'm fairly pleased

The shot itself is a 5 shot stitch from my 5d mk2 and 70-200. I originally intended to use my Xpan for this challenge, but unfortunately I missed the deadline for 1 hour processing so had to go with this version instead

Look forward to seeing everyone else's efforts for the rest of the month, and cheers to Gary for the great idea

3rd January 2011

Mark

Name
Sue

Description

I love doing street photography because I am really interested in people. One of my favourite places to get street photos is Cambridge. Its not too far from me, and, most importantly, I can get a mobility scooter free for a few hours, from Shopmobility there ( I cant walk much). Unfortunately I found that Shopmobility was closed today because its a bank holiday. So plan 2 was to go to Colchester.

I parked in a disabled space in the High Street and sat people watching and got several photos of pretty ladies, with their permission, and a few candids.

Just as I was leaving I saw Mark laying in the Salvation Army shop doorway. I went to talk to him and asked him if he was cold and how he coped with sleeping rough in the very cold weather. He said that he was used to it and showed me a hot water bottle he had under his blanket.He said he had been sleeping rough for a couple of years. I asked him if there was a hostel he could sleep in and he said that there was a night hostel but they didnt "keep the same hours" as he did and that anyway they threw you out during the day.He told me that he had ME and that he had a problem with his legs. I noticed that Mark had a line of empty coffee mugs from the cafe opposite so I guessed that people brought him hot drinks. While I was talking to him a lady brought him a sandwich and a pack of cooked chicken which she said were from her and her friend.It seemed that, laying in the High Street was quite clever as, although he wasnt begging, people were motivated to help him with gifts.

I often take candid photos of people but I dont like to exploit people who are down on their luck so I gave Mark something and thanked him for allowing me to take his photo.

Unfortunately, although I didnt realise it at the time, the photo suffers from a common problem I have. I havent got Mark's face well focused but because he was such an interesting subject I have posted it anyway.

Last edited:
4th January 2011

collective30.jpg

Name: Phil

Description:

I believe this is the first entry from a professional (let's not open that can of worms!), and tonight finds me at the home of Manchester United, Old Trafford, for the match against Stoke City. Unfortunately football licensing means I cannot show a picture from inside. So you will have to make do with a view from the outside!

My entry today is almost exactly a year since I shot my first Premier League game.. and what a year it has been. My work has taken me all over the UK and I've even been lucky enough to venture out into Europe. I have photographed World Championship snooker, international cricket, football and rugby. I've snapped at national events for badminton and squash.. and there is plenty more planned for this year.

I'm a lucky chap :)

Edit- Oops it's not straight! :LOL:

5th January 2011

Foggy Trails

Name: Ben
flickr: Click me

Description:

Since getting my SLR Christmas I've been fascinated by long exposure shots. Tried one of these shots over a motorway bridge last week but I felt the street lights ruined it slightly so I tried again on the way home from Uni at a better location.

Conditions were looking good, not too dark - but dark enough to get a nice shot. But then it went really foggy (again:bang:) and I hit rush hour traffic meaning it was pitch black by the time I got there. In result of this its made pretty much all my shots from tonight have a weird glow and look pretty noisy (even with reductions made in LR). Maybe one day I'll be able to take one without fog or just learn to master it with fog. :LOL:

Thanks to Gary for doing this great thread and I look forward to seeing future posts! :)

6th January 2011

110106_1451.jpg

Name : Marcel
Description : Apologies for being late in the day posting this. However I've had one heck of a hectic day, with hospital appointments, work, school runs, and lots of other things.
Anyway. Why this shot? Well. It would be easy to say because today's my birthday. 34 and yes I know I don't look a day over 25. ;)
No, seriously. I knew I wanted to do something birthday related. However when I turned and spotted all my cards stood up on the table, something really stood out.
It was me.
I bet you're thinking eh?
Well, I consider myself as very self-reflective. My previous 365 year has probably shown alot of you that. I think about myself and my own value to others (in a very self-critical way). Looking at the cards it hit me. I'm not just me. The man who procrastinates, the man who is overweight but is too addicted to food and too lazy to do anything about it. The man who feels tired all the time.
No, I'm also Dad. The man who has the pocket full of money for the ice cream van. The man who is outside school when it finishes, for a lift home.
I'm also Marcel the husband, the man who puts the DIY jobs off until his wife gets annoyed and gets the neighbour to do it instead. The man who insists on driving when going out because he's a terrible passenger. The man who is always in charge of the holiday money.
I'm also Marcel the brother of two sisters. The man who fixes the computer when it's broke. Or the man who will give a lift somewhere when it's late at night and there's no other way of getting there.
I'm also Marcel the son. The 34 year old son, who my mum has watched grow up, go through school, settled down, get married and give grandchildren.
So I'm not just Marcel. I'm not just someone who thinks of himself as overweight, too self-critical, lazy or boring to talk to.
I'm alot of things to alot of people. I'm actually loved by many.
We all are. We're all a big part in someone elses life.

Deep? I thought so. It's true though :)
PS. Happy birthday to me! Self indulgent I know...but I'm allowed, it's my birthday :p

7th January 2011

Name : Albi.

Discription : The pic I had planned failed to appear due to the ****
weather we have had today. So a quick trip to Mr Tesco filled the void, her who has to be obayed was real chuffed with the suprise bunch gained a lot of brownie points. All I have to do now is plan what to take for my 52 due by tomorrow and one for the POTY but still have the rest of the month for that one.
Good luck to all who are entering pics in the collective 30.
Thanks for the reminder Gary Tis a good idea.

3611.jpg

Name: Els

Description: Today I did what I always do when I haven't the faintest idea about what to shoot: just take the bicycle and cycle around till I see something.
And this is one of the things I saw: a bunch of wooden chairs, too big for regular sized humans, so I guess it must be art! :)

We have some strange art in and around Rotterdam. The effect of the chairs in the front looking larger than the ones in the back, is only partly due to perspective. The ones in the back really are smaller. Too bad I only thought of it after getting home, but I think I'll go shoot them some other time, but from the other side, see how messed up that perspective looks when the chairs that are further away look the same size as the ones that are closer to the camera...

5339039193_a866c94b59_b.jpg

Name: Terri

This was taken on the spur of the moment. I had planned on taking a family Photo on the sea front in Redcar eating chips. We took a short cut through the arcade and i grabbed Grant and just took the shot. i know it is not perfect but out of the 85 or so i took today i like this one the most. it was either this or a fisher man selling his daliy catch. well there was in fact alot i wanted to use but as i said this is the one that stood out for me. Thank you for looking.

Name: Wibbly
Description: I had all sorts of ideas in my head when I volunteered for this challenge, and deliberately chose today as it's my wedding anniversary, so I had ideas of flowers and cards and rings and all such stuff to take pics of.

Sadly, I had my employment terminated on the day I returned to work for reasons I'm still not quite sure of, so things are a little sad here at present if truth be known. No big celebrations, no big bouquets of flowers, no big extravagant presents to one another (not that we're like that anyway).

Anyway, today to date has cost me £50 quid in diesel to fill the car up, and a cost associated to pay for my photo card on my driving licence which is due to expire at the end of the month!

So having lost my job, and obviously needing to look after the pennies, it feels like I'm taking a bit of a kicking today! :D

Name - Hugh
Website www.hughmillerphotography.co.uk

Description - I had two or three ideas when I started to think about this, all with the idea that they had to be something local and that meant something to me. In then end I followed Purple Clouds lead and went for the outside of the local stadium. As a big rugby fan I do like this line out that greets you as you arrive at Twickenham stadium. I've actually shot this before, as part of my 365 and at 50mm (as the rest of my 365). Not having that restriction meant I could shoot wider which I think works better.

Last edited:
5349342168_12139fe73d_b.jpg

Name: Keith
flickr: My Flickr

Description:
First I would like to thank Gary for doing this, I need something to give me a kick up the rear end where my photography is concerned
Due to the pressures of life I found myself selling all my DSLR kit early last year, it just wasn't getting the use due to business commitments and all the building work we are doing at home, so long story short, I missed having it and bought a D700 just before christmas.
Anyway today is my girlfriend Eve's birthday, Eve is my rock in life, the saying opposites attract is so very true where Eve and me are concerned and we have now been together for 15 years.
Eve loves the clothes & style from the 1920's so we decided todays plan was to shoot her on her birthday dressed in clothes of a similar style, pretty much went to planned although she couldn't find the correct gloves but for me personaly it feels really good to have a DSLR back again doing something I love.

13th January

13th wildlife.jpg

Name: Christine

I had a few plans for taking pictures today, initially I was going to try a landscape on the way to a hospital visit but that got cancelled due to not being able to drive (am in a catch 22 situation, if I take the drugs for my bad back I can't drive and if I do not take them I have problems walking)

Plan two was to try and get a really good bird photo but the weather has been somewhat - inclement I think is the word so Plan 3 was put into effect.

Lay on the sofa and get as many pictures as possible out of the window using my 50D and 100-400. The nearest birds were about 4 yards away and the furthest, the treecreeper and the redwing (their first ever observed visit to my garden so this was very exciting for me) were about 80 yards away. I have been using ISO 3200 or H1 all day just to get enough light - then try and get rid of most of the noise when I shrunk the pictures.

Anyway, enough rambling and I hope you enjoy the results of today's bird (and rodent) spotting, I have not chopped a head off, if you look carefully you can just spot a nose! :)

Selfportrait.jpg

Name: Yvonne

Description:

I had been wondering what to do for this for several days and had various ideas about taking the teenager out and doing some gritty street modeling with OCF, or if the weather was bad, an arty still life right here at home, but that all changed during the course of a conversation today. You will have all heard it before, whether it be from clients, family or a passing conversation in the street - "Oh I hate having my picture taken"
My answer to this statement is normally "don't worry, so do I, so at least I know how you feel facing that lens"
Todays version of the above conversation made me wonder if I could use this project as an excuse to brace myself and get some self portraits done. Perhaps change that stock reply to something more positive. Eventually I want some good ones for my website, advertising and what have you, but this one was more by way of getting used to plonking myself the 'wrong' side of the lens and trying to relaxed and happy to be doing it. I had already broken the ice as it were with a shot taken on the Mac's built in camera, that one over there in my avatar, so this was the next step.
Photography to me these days mostly means taking pictures of people, usually getting them to look relaxed and happy about it, so getting myself to do that strikes me a pretty good training exersize. I don't think I am quite there yet, but with practice.....;)

plnety wrong with it - wish my arms and face were the same skin tones, wish I'd had my hair cut, blah blah blah.... but onwards and upwards from here

edit to say: yes, I waited until after midnight to take it too :LOL: completely nutty

Last edited:

IMG_0086 by SarahLee1001, on Flickr​

Name : Sarah

Description :
This was the first idea that I had, but I initially dismissed it since it entailed a very thorough scrubbing of the aquarium glass :puke:
But after racking my brains for inspiration elsewhere, this was the only thing that really made sense for me to shoot today.
It was fish-keeping that inspired me to get interested in photography - a desire to be able photograph these beautiful creatures that just won't keep still and have the added difficulty of being in water, behind glass and under tricky lighting :LOL: A P&S just won't cut it when it comes to fish!

This particular fish is a Moonlight Gourami. You may have noticed the strange upturned mouth. It's not a deformity, the mouth shape has evolved this way to perfectly suit their feeding habits - Gouramis being surface feeders.
Of all species of Gourami, Moonlights have the most beautiful mirror-like scales which reflect and take on the hue of any available light and I've tried to capture some of this in the shot.

Now that I'm hooked on togging as a second hobby, I have vague aspirations of taking aquatic photography further. There's a niche there for providing advertising material for independent aquatic stores and the fish-breeding / showing circuit has a surprising number of people willing to pay for shots of their award winners.
Certainly not something to replace my day job, but perhaps a means to fund my hobbies. I just need to get out there and start making it happen - and keep practicing!

A HUGE thank you to Gary for organising this. I've enjoyed taking my shot today and looking at all the others.

Last edited:
p245806977-5.jpg

Name Mike Jackson

Website Mike Jackson Photography

Description:

I had planned on something different to this but as I had to take the shot at the last minute I thought I'd have a go at a reshoot of a picture that I took years ago. Not long after I got my first DSLR (300D) I went out and did a bit of night time photography. One of the shots that I took was of Hastings Old Town and it was a stunning shot. I've since tried to replicate that shot having more knowledge and better kit but I've never managed to get a shot as good.

I tried again last night and it's still not as good as my first shot, despite having near perfect conditions. It's not as sharp as I'd like and the seafront lights are a bit blown but if I cropped them off the symmetry looked wrong. I'm now wondering if the problem is the fact that the lighting has been changed since I took the first shot. I'm still kicking myself that I can't get a shot as good as I took with a 300D and 18-55 non IS kit lens.

TIME

Name: Sara

Description: I came across this reflection whilst out walking today,I shot it from a number of angles but what really interested me was the distortion of the clockface, which changed depending on which angle I shot it from. To me its interesting as time is one of the few things as human beings we cannot control,once it has gone, its gone. However for a brief moment I was able to distort it....

18th January

Arthuret Church by steelo26581, on Flickr

Name: Martin

Description: This is a shot of Arthuret Church, Longtown, my home town. It's a shot i've been wanting to get for quite some time, and luckily the weather this afternoon after work was perfect, so got out and took some shots, and it just so happens I needed a photo for this today, so here we are.

I'm relatively new to SLR photography, only having my 450d for a couple of months, but with every shot I feel i'm improving, and understanding more. The light was how I wanted it for this shot, just before sunset, with the sun lighting up the top of the tower from behind the hedgerow.

Last edited:
110119_681-4-800x563.jpg

Name: Matt Thomas
Online: http://mattthomas.co.uk

Description: I had another shot in mind for today, but alas the fog hindered it. But as soon as I saw this shot I thought why not. This is from a shoot yesterday at a new bar and restaurant now featuring Michelin starred Aiden Byrne. I was commissioned to shoot the launch. Just as I was leaving Aiden invited me into the kitchen to see what it was like and what he was working with. What I saw was a very small kitchen with an awful lot of chefs making an amazing amount of beautiful food. This is the first shot I took in the kitchen, literally as I walked in. The temperature difference was unbelievable it was like a furnace in there. So naturally every piece of glass I had steamed up instantly. :) Still, this hasn't made the final cut, but it's a shot that I'll remember the most.

21st January

just uploading. six minutes to go!

Just importing zero minutes to go!

Edited ..... - 13 minutes to go...

stop the clock... 00:14

Name - John Milton
Website http://www.togger.co.uk

This sums up me my photography and my year.

I had great plans for this entry and have been too busy to realise that my date for my entry was closing in on me fast. But really I have no organisational skills and it not for my mate Dave Young giving me a heads up at 11.45pm :LOL: I would have missed my deadline completely and been snoring now. Those that know me know that I don't often bang my own drum but my photo is what I have achieved last year after only picking up a camera in anger 18 months ago, If it wasn't for desperate time I would not have taken a still life photo of certificates that are hidden in a drawer or cups hidden under stairs, so I guess I will have a record of this and can look back one day to see if the first things I have won EVER in my life were a peak or a stepping stone to greater things.

Who knows but.. here is my photo and late as usual but tries hard ;)

Last edited:
22nd January

Selsey-Lifeboat-Station by Stokes Tog, on Flickr

Name: Tom Barnett
Description:
I had planned to give myself a number of opportunities today to take my photo for the "Collective 30", these included the parade to mark the end of HMS Ark Royal, A night shoot, and a portrait session with my dogs.Then a message from JollyJack on here and he asked if I wanted to go to Selsey for a sunrise photo... of course, why not, 6am pick-up on my day off and an hours drive, i would have been silly to say no :thinking:

So the photo. Inspired by similar photos of the lifeboat station, it is somewhere that I have always wanted to go, both for the beach and the photo opportunity. There wasn't really a sunrise as such, no magnificent beams of light, no lovely warm glow coming from under the horizon. But this photo really stood out. I took it very low and close to the still sea, but still managed to get my feet soaked by a rouge wave... my camera was literally mm's from getting a early January salt water bath :)

5382017790_dd86cc519b_z.jpg

Name:Graham Boxall
Description:
Not only is this my first posted photo on here, this is also my first ever post so hello everyone and I hope I get this right!
I remembered at the beginning of last week that I was due to do this today but typical me I leave it to the last minute!
I was due to go to Chester this afternoon so decided that Chester would be the place to photograph, unfortunately that trip didn't happen which left me panicing about what to take. Then I spotted my two month old daughter looking very cute in her little bear snowsuit out in the garden in the arms of my wife. I managed to capture her peering over Louise's shoulder looking straight at the camera. I've been trying to take as many pictures as I can of my beautiful daughter and I thought I would share this one with you.

I am very new to digital photography and editing so I hope that my very amatuer standard is ok for you. I've been so impressed with what everyone else has shared so far and I'm glad, although slightly nervous, to be part of this project.
Graham

Last edited:

Time

Name: Mathew Moule

Description:
Ive always wanted to do a slow time shot with a watch, but thought that a clock was ideal for this. Time. Never enough of it, it seems. My biggest memory about Time is my Mother in the hospice, in the short time that she was still lucid. She woke up after a little nap, looked at her watch and said 'im sleeping my time away, dont let me nap.' Enjoy your time, dont waste it, dont squander it on petty arguments, dont fritter it away on trivial matters. Enjoy the time you have, spend it wisely, because eventually, we all run out of it.

DSC03571.jpg

Well since getting a dslr around christmas time i have taken all kinds of photos of many different subjects, but i love taken wild life photo's.
this was the first picture of a horse i have taken with my camera.
the horse was outside a house we were working on today and i thought it was a perfect oppurtunity, after taken this shot he walked up to me so i could stroke him where we bothed stayed until my boss called time for coffee.
hope youu like it

mat

think it is a liitle to bright

Last edited:

26JAN2011 by Azureizmoi, on Flickr

Name: Naomi

Description: Australia Day!

23 years ago today I was backpacking Down Under on a Round The World ticket with a tiny pocket camera and 35mm film. I had a passion for photography then, as I do now. On this day then, I was at Sydney Harbour on the Irish Tall Ship Asgard II – shortly after, I became “crew” sailing from Sydney to Melbourne. I was supposed to spend 3 months in Australia and ended up staying 7... leaving me only 5 months to “do” the rest of the world (I was never much good at sticking to a plan). I loved it there – it was the time of my life – hundreds of rolls of film – ha, if only “snapping” had been digital then!

Fast forward 20 years.

3 years ago today, very unexpectedly and inexplicably, one of my closest friends died – I held his hand and then told his little boy his PaPa was gone.

January 26th is very emotionally charged day for me – one of the best days ever way back when without a care in the world, and one of saddest days of my life with a ghost I’m unable to lay to rest.

The basis of this shot is the choice to focus on the future when the future is precarious at best. I’m surrounded by smiling faces where I work with kids – they’re the future and a reminder each day that life does go on, no matter how difficult it feels at times.

Photography is the peace in my life. Thank you.

Last edited:
help_tp.jpg

Name: Elli

Description: I wanted to try and capture something that related to talkphotography and what it means to me. I saw this and thought it was pretty apt!

Probably like many others, I first ventured here seeking some help. I have received it in abundance and would like to thank you all for that. The information and advice I've gained has been incredible and I only hope that one day I can be amongst those offering help to others. :D

- As I side note, I wish trees could talk, I'd love to know the story behind this!

Name: Ivan

Description I'll be honest I'd lost track of the date (working funny shifts) and thought I had a couple of days left before I was due to post. I remembered halfway up a Howgill!

I had all sorts of plans for today's post but in the end the idea of posting a shot from my mountain bike ride seemed more appropriate. I originally got into photography as a result of wanting to record what I do in the outdoors so it's too much of a coincidence to ignore.

So here it is, not a planned shot but a quick stop, shoot and ride away kind of thing. As it happened it's the first attempt at panning I've tried with the camera so I'm fairly pleased with the shot in that respect.

5395541383_bbb31b6c8e_b.jpg

Poppy5 by SpongeBob1964, on Flickr

Name: Graham

Description: After a week with a few lovely sunsets, I get to the weekend and it's grey and dull. Bang goes the mind blowing landscape :D
I snapped a few of Poppy earlier in the day, planning to get a better setup tonight but Poppy had other ideas. She would not sit where I wanted her or look in the direction I wanted either, so I had to go back to an earlier version. I know it's a bit of a snap but I'm glad I kept to the deadline. (y)

Project: Collective 30! January 30th

Name: Jeff Arris (aka Kennysarmy)
Description: My initial idea was to take a night-time shot at Gloucester Docks, but after purchasing a wireless flash trigger this month I wondered if I could take a photo that combined my two main hobbies.
So here it is photography meets golf...!
Thanks to Ben for holding the flash at waist height :)
Unlike others during the collective 30 I managed to be very very lucky with the light....

I think it's been a great (pilot?) project to be involved with and hopefully I've not disappointed with the shot to close it off.....I look forward to a collective three-six-five!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back