Vdubster's Photo52 for 2011 Week 42 - Weave added!!! (Index in 1st post)

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Thought i'd take part in this years Project 52 as a way to improve my Photography. Only got my dSLR late last year so still learning :)

**Jokers**

I have limited myself to a total of 5 jokers for the Project 52, Now 4 :)

My Project 52 Submissions:

[post=3286692]Week 1 Accommodation[/post]

[post=3312587]Week 2 New[/post]

[post=3336300]Week 3 Style[/post]

[post=3352347]Week 4 Open[/post]

[post=3377797]Week 5 Hard[/post]

[post=3390030]Week 6 Clutter[/post]

[post=3419106]Week 7 Delicate[/post]

[post=3452561]Week 8 Chaos[/post]

[post=3459280]Week 9 Finish[/post]

[post=3473640]Week 10 Trio[/post]

[post=3494073]Week 11 Re-shoot/Knowledge[/post]

[post=3528586]Week 12 Moderation[/post]

[post=3550801]Week 13 Empty[/post]

[post=3568984]Week 14 Object[/post]

[post=3588107]Week 15 Wrong[/post]

[post=3610049]Week 16 Paradox/RE-SHOOT[/post]

[post=3621867]Week 17 Tropical[/post]

[post=3636547]Week 18 Power[/post]

[post=3660370]Week 19 Divided[/post]

[post=3681255]Week 20 Promise[/post]

[post=3706211]Week 21 Twisted[/post]

[post=3725957]Week 22 Hidden[/post]

[post=3746115]Week 23 Broken[/post]

[post=3769810]Week 24 Bright[/post]

[post=3795004]Week 25 Rescue[/post]

[post=3808899]Week 26 Sensual[/post]

[post=3825628]Week 27 Elaborate[/post]

[post=3863704]Week 28 Celebrate[/post]

[post=3853868]Week 29 Smell[/post]

[post=3944022]Week 30 Weird[/post]

[post=3944022]Week 31 Wind[/post]

[post=3944022]Week 32 Evolution[/post]

[post=3944022]Week 33 Record[/post]

[post=3975293]Week 34 Work[/post]

[post=3975293]Week 35 Blur[/post]

[post=3995035]Week 36 Time[/post]

[post=4014287]Week 37 Mix[/post]

[post=4054062]Week 38 Fun (Joker)[/post]

[post=4054062]Week 39 Volume[/post]

[post=4092586]Week 40 Explode[/post] (To do)

[post=4092600]Week 41 Rapid[/post]

[post=4101611]Week 42 Weave[/post]

Thanks

James

Last edited:
Well first weeks photo done.

As a lot of others have done i've played on the theme and captured my dream vehicle a VW Samba :).

C & C welcome and i can already see that for any indoor small subject shoot i need to look at lighting & background.

Thanks for looking.

Accommodation by j.fordham, on Flickr

Good start James your up and running Good luck with the remaining 51.
Albi :cool:

I like this shot, no distractions from the main subject. (It helps that I have a bit of a soft spot for type 2 vdubs, well I did until I owned a wreck of one!).
Good luck with this weeks theme - to fit your screen-name you could have a 'modern' Beetle with an old one in the background!

Nice use of the theme, agree with you on the background and lighting (it needed some more to the side) and personally I would have prefered not to have such a shallow DOF so that we could see more of the side in all it's glory.

A good start though, keep up the good work.

Good start James your up and running Good luck with the remaining 51.
Albi :cool:

Wooooop only 51 to go, lol

I like this shot, no distractions from the main subject. (It helps that I have a bit of a soft spot for type 2 vdubs, well I did until I owned a wreck of one!).
Good luck with this weeks theme - to fit your screen-name you could have a 'modern' Beetle with an old one in the background!

Good idea might have a go and see how it works, i own a New Beetle so half way there :)

Nice use of the theme, agree with you on the background and lighting (it needed some more to the side) and personally I would have prefered not to have such a shallow DOF so that we could see more of the side in all it's glory.

A good start though, keep up the good work.

Thanks, i'm very new the dSLR world and wanted to play around a bit. My aim was for the DOF to draw the focus to the front of the bus. :)

Thanks for all the comments

James

Last edited:
Ok just realised that photo wasn't taken by me, lol. Was taken by my friend Kate (owner of the bug nearest the camera)

So I will post new photo trw, that I have actually taken :)

J

Last edited:
James, I would like to see the original pic please. I personally don't think the vignetting does much for this picture and the crop is very tight to the 1st beetle's rear wheel.

Ok, Now i've taken a picture, lol

Decided that i wanted to move away from the VW shot, so as i'm new to dSLR photography i could take a shot of my NEW camera.

So here it is;

New by j.fordham, on Flickr

I know the 400D itself isn't new but it is to me :)

Had a play in Photoshop as my white background wasn't great so having learnt about adjustment layers recently i had a go on this shot.

Thanks

James

Last edited:
My take on this weeks theme, Linkin Park's albums.

And the reason for this is this quote i found when searching for definitions on the word "Style"

"Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say and not giving a damn."
(Gore Vidal)

This is aimed at their last album "A Thousand Suns"

Style - Week 3 by j.fordham, on Flickr

And here is a HDR version of the shot made using easyHDR Pro 2 (free version hence the watermark)

StyleHDR - Week 3 by j.fordham, on Flickr

Thanks

James

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new camera - nice shot, the white background works really well.
Also like your Style shot. If I had to choose I think the colour one works the best.

This isn't related to my P52 but why doesnt my sig always show in my posts?
With regards to your sig. I think it depends on how long your posts are. A very short post doesn't get a signature :shake:

Hi James, looking great. My first 52 too. Good luck on keeping up to schedule each week :)

Photo 1: The subject is really cool but as you say yourself the background is lacking. I can see it looking great placed somewhere outdoor. I also think the cropping is a bit too tight.

Photo 2: Really like the angle of the camera, maybe just me but the placement within the frame seems a bit strange to me.

Photo 3: Could be a bit more dramatic. Maybe placed on dirty concrete or something. I don't really get the theme and your message though. Did they change their musical style or something? I stopped following them after Meteora :p

This isn't related to my P52 but why doesnt my sig always show in my posts?

It only appears under the first post of a thread, subsequent posts won't have it. The length of the post is irrelevant.

I'm not clear if you have re-shot the first photo as I can't see the vignetting referred to in one of the comments.

Nice angle for the New shot, but as said positioning within the image feels unbalanced... and at least you are learning along the way having worked on the adjustment layer (y)

Hi James, looking great. My first 52 too. Good luck on keeping up to schedule each week :)

Photo 1: The subject is really cool but as you say yourself the background is lacking. I can see it looking great placed somewhere outdoor. I also think the cropping is a bit too tight.

Thanks for the feedback, i might re-shoot this one at some stage in the year.

Photo 2: Really like the angle of the camera, maybe just me but the placement within the frame seems a bit strange to me.

Thanks, It's just the way i shot it, i like the way it looks :)

Photo 3: Could be a bit more dramatic. Maybe placed on dirty concrete or something. I don't really get the theme and your message though. Did they change their musical style or something? I stopped following them after Meteora :p

Why did you stop following them?

Having been a fan for so long, and seeing them live I can understand why the idea doesn't come across but the quote

"Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say and not giving a damn."
(Gore Vidal)

Kind of sums up what the band is trying to say with their new album "A Thousand Suns" It's a different sound for them, but it's what they've grown to become. A lot of "fans" aren't liking the sound and wanted a 2nd "hybrid theory"

Thanks for the comments

James

It only appears under the first post of a thread, subsequent posts won't have it. The length of the post is irrelevant.

I'm not clear if you have re-shot the first photo as I can't see the vignetting referred to in one of the comments.

Nice angle for the New shot, but as said positioning within the image feels unbalanced... and at least you are learning along the way having worked on the adjustment layer (y)

Hi,

Oh ok, seems odd not to have a sig in every post :)

Yeah i had to submit a different picture as the first one i posted wasn't my own, lol. It was a mates picture of my car.

Thanks for the comments.

James

:LOL: I saw the last one and for a split second thought "what a strange name for a linkin park album...!:shake::wacky:

Hi all,

As soon as the theme was published I knew what I was shooting my Arduino clone in this case a Freeduino.

But what's an Arduino I hear you say well Wikipedia has the following;

Arduino is an open-source electronics prototyping platform, designed to make the process of using electronics in multidisciplinary projects more accessible. The hardware consists of a simple open hardware design for the Arduino board with an Atmel AVR processor and on-board I/O support. The software consists of a standard programming language and the boot loader that runs on the board.

So as you can see it's an OPEN-source prototyping platform.

And now onto the pictures

Open - Week 4 by j.fordham, on Flickr

Open(2) - Week 4 by j.fordham, on Flickr

Open(3) - Week 4 by j.fordham, on Flickr

The last picture was taken with my latest eBay find some extension tube which i got for 99p :) The picture are also taken in my DIY Light Tent, which i still have to finish but it's worked quite well i think.

James

Last edited:
Hi James

Just having a quick catch yp as seem to have missed so many threads (y)

Your week 1 shot is great , like the DOF as you look momre at the front of the van just not so keen on the towel but thats nit picking!

Week 4 I also like . Crisp & clear ,great DOF (y)

Hi!

Great shots! I really like your week one. Lovely shot of a beautiful object!

Hi James. Just seen your 52 for the first time. Don't know how I missed them till now.

Week 1. My only slight criticism has already been said already, regarding the crop being a little tight, particularly at the bottom. With regards to possibly shooting it outdoors as has been suggested I am not too sure. You have said this is your dream vehicle, obviously a model so no need to try and portray it as the real thing. The background is fine. Great DOF. nice shot.

Week 2. Great angle and fab work on the PP getting the white background right.

Week 3. I am biased cos I have all those albums. I fully understand your creative take on the theme. And agree incidentally with "Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say and not giving a damn."
(Gore Vidal) and how that fits in. Lovely shot. I prefer the colour HDR. (when thousand suns came out I took it into work to give some LP fans a listen and I was the only one who seems to like it - a bit of a Marmite album apparently)

Week 4. Nice clear shot of an interesting object. I am a fan of Open Source in that I have a Linux OS. This Arduino clone thingy is beyond me though, lol. Well shot, great DOF

All in all, some great images there.
Good luck with the rest of the 52 Challenge

Martin

Hi James

Just having a quick catch yp as seem to have missed so many threads (y)

Your week 1 shot is great , like the DOF as you look momre at the front of the van just not so keen on the towel but thats nit picking!

Week 4 I also like . Crisp & clear ,great DOF (y)

I agree the towel wasn't the greatest choice :)

Thanks for your comments

Hi!

Great shots! I really like your week one. Lovely shot of a beautiful object!

Thank you :)

Hi James. Just seen your 52 for the first time. Don't know how I missed them till now.

Week 1. My only slight criticism has already been said already, regarding the crop being a little tight, particularly at the bottom. With regards to possibly shooting it outdoors as has been suggested I am not too sure. You have said this is your dream vehicle, obviously a model so no need to try and portray it as the real thing. The background is fine. Great DOF. nice shot.

Week 2. Great angle and fab work on the PP getting the white background right.

Week 3. I am biased cos I have all those albums. I fully understand your creative take on the theme. And agree incidentally with "Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say and not giving a damn."
(Gore Vidal) and how that fits in. Lovely shot. I prefer the colour HDR. (when thousand suns came out I took it into work to give some LP fans a listen and I was the only one who seems to like it - a bit of a Marmite album apparently)

Week 4. Nice clear shot of an interesting object. I am a fan of Open Source in that I have a Linux OS. This Arduino clone thingy is beyond me though, lol. Well shot, great DOF

All in all, some great images there.
Good luck with the rest of the 52 Challenge

Martin

Thanks Martin

Hey all,

That indeed was a "Hard" theme, had a few ideas none of which really worked as well as i would have liked :-(

But these are the 3 shots I'm happiest with, C & C welcome.

I give you the life of a "Hard" boiled egg :)

I'm not sure why but the focus just doesn't seem right on this? Had to go manual as the auto wasn't working.

Hard - Week 5 by j.fordham, on Flickr

The next two are the same shot but with different shutter speeds, i wanted a fast shutter speed for the boiling water but i could get a good exposure without upping the ISO a lot.

Hard(2) - Week 5 by j.fordham, on Flickr

Hard(3) - Week 5 by j.fordham, on Flickr

Kind of sums up what the band is trying to say with their new album "A Thousand Suns" It's a different sound for them, but it's what they've grown to become. A lot of "fans" aren't liking the sound and wanted a 2nd "hybrid theory"

Thanks for the comments

James

Having loved the band since 99, seen them many many times live and met them twice - I can fully understand your meaning behind the shot. They have become what they want to become, have created their own style, not conformed to music industry and churning out whatever was the biggest hit. The colour version works for me, maybe changing the background to something rougher, flooring or wooden floor for example might have finished it off (y)

EDIT - Do we have the same structure to our desk area??? (ie none :D )

Go on... be truthfull... is your desk really like that or did you clutter it specially?

Having loved the band since 99, seen them many many times live and met them twice - I can fully understand your meaning behind the shot. They have become what they want to become, have created their own style, not conformed to music industry and churning out whatever was the biggest hit. The colour version works for me, maybe changing the background to something rougher, flooring or wooden floor for example might have finished it off (y)

EDIT - Do we have the same structure to our desk area??? (ie none :D )

Hi,

Good to hear from another LP fan, lol. Seen them a few times myself but never met them. Still love their music but they have really messed up the LPU now so i wont be renewing.

I even got all the limited edition A Thousand Suns merch :)

And yes no structure what so ever :)

J

Nice one James,
Wise choice deciding to go monochrome. It gives great effect of clutter cos so many of the things are the same tone.

Martin

Edit: I have just noticed that your screen is showing your Hard Boiled Egg. Nice touch

Last edited:
Nice one James,
Wise choice deciding to go monochrome. It gives great effect of clutter cos so many of the things are the same tone.

Martin

Edit: I have just noticed that your screen is showing your Hard Boiled Egg. Nice touch

Thanks for the comments Martin,

Yeah as part of my 52 i change the my desktop to my themed shot each week.

J

I like the angle of the shot and putting it in b/w was a good idea well done (y)

Good start to your 52, really liking your work.

My only gripe, and its only a v v small one based on my own preference is the DOF on the VW van.

Really well done so far :clap::clap:

Hiya James,

Wow, how have I missed this project, I do apologise, it has been a hectic 6 weeks and I am trying my best to keep up with my Photo52 and get round to commenting on others. But now that I have your thread tagged I will be able to keep up to date on your progress.

So a quick summary of my comments for your already posted weeks:

Week 1: Absolutely love this one, mainly because of it being a VW, I love campervans (have my own van - Jasper - not a VW, but ubber cool to go camping in).... so this image really appeals to me. I think you have captured it really well. Actually gave me an idea for a photo too.

Week 2: Another fantastic image, love the way you have photographed the camera against a pure white background really makes the subject stand out.

Week 3: Prefer the colour version as the whites on the b&w version look a little blown.

Week 4: Once again another clear shot that fits the theme and like the way you have shot the subject against the white background.

Week 5: I prefer the first of the 3 shots, the colour combinations work well, good composition and nice DOF.

Week 6: The mono works well for this image and I like the angle from which you have shot this. Like the way the border on the wall adds to the cluttered effect and also notice your HARD shot on the computer screen too (y) Even though it resembles clutter, it looks organised in a way ..... organised chaos as I like to refer to it. :D

You are doing a brilliant job with your project and I look forward to seeing your coming weeks photos too.

Good luck.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Thanks for all the comments everyone, it does make this project a lot better knowing that people are watching and commenting, so Thanks.

OK onto week 7 (7 already, lol) was a bit stuck for ideas for this one, so i've followed some of the other Project 52'ers and gone for a Delicate Rose.

2 versions for this week, one a B&W with the red of the rose's showing and the other a simple crop, retouch and boarder.

Delicate - Week 7 by j.fordham, on Flickr

Delicate (2) - Week 7 by j.fordham, on Flickr

James

Hi, James, I'm not keen on the selective colour one and my, they are red roses!

You have a nice triangle going on and some nice shadows but nothing really grabs me.

Not sure what lens you used but a macro shot of the left hand rose from lower down would be nice to see.

Cheers.

Back