I have some old Ilford super colorprint C.22 process, now where to get it processed?

Name
Louise Knight
Edit My Images
No
Hello all!

I've been given two rolls of Ilford super colorprint film which was shot in the late 60's and contains very precious images of my family. Can anyone shed any light at all on where I might have these processed? I believe they need the C22 process which is rarely used these days?
The only place I've found so far is here http://www.processc22.co.uk/ but if anyone knows of anywhere else, please please do let me know as like most people, I like to shop around.

Also, if anyone has any feedback RE process22.co.uk I'd be interested to hear your experiences, to me it looks as though the site hasn't been updated since the Autumn but I'm certainly no expert :(

Thanks!

Process C-22 is one of the best places for this sort of stuff and have a very good reputation. I've not used them but have heard good stuff from others that have. Their one of the few places that will do things like this and if you read around their site they have developed some astonishing stuff like pre-WWII Dufaycolor successfully.

The C-22 process has been obsolete for about the past 40 years, it was actually the original colour print film process developed by Kodak.The newer and different C-41 process has been used since about 1974

I've been given two rolls of Ilford super colorprint film which was shot in the late 60's and contains very precious images of my family.

Hi Louise,

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but assuming this was shot in the 60's I wouldn't be holding my breath that your 'precious images' will be much in evidence even if you can get it processed.

40-50 years knocking around in a drawer is not the most stable of archive systems.

You may be lucky, and I hope you are, but I would prepare to be disappointed. Then if you get some decent images everyone's overjoyed.

Good luck.

I processed some fuji superia( i think!) that had been in a drawer for 12 years, and it looked okay but had a pronounced red cast. There was another old roll that went along with it, but that came back blank.
Film emulsions may have been more stable then, but as Nick said, its going to be hit and miss, there are stories of a roll of kodachrome that was lost in some jungle and found and processed some years later with images intact once processed though.

Thank you for the replies, very helpful!

Raglansurf, thanks, I'm not holding my breath but what I'm saying is that I'd like to send the films to the most capable person so if there are images in tact, they can be safely delevoped as oppose to some bloke in a basement with some chemicals messing it up - just wondering if there are other options before I go ahead & send them :)

Any other labs that are able to process those films properly in colour are abroad, the chems have to be custom brewed by the lab as they've not been available for about the last 30 years. The only other one that I am aware of is 'The Rocky Mountain Film Laboratory' in the States, it'll end up being quite a bit more expensive though due to postage. Their C-22 list doesn't include the Ilford film but I imagine if you contact them they will be able to tell of they can do it or not.

http://www.rockymountainfilm.com/c22.htm

repeat of info given, but can't del this post :thumbsdown:

Last edited:
There are stories of a roll of kodachrome that was lost in some jungle and found and processed some years later with images intact once processed though.

A roll? More like 5, a guy in Canada had a load of exposed Kodachrome in a bag in his car in 1989. Basically his car was broken into and the bag stolen. 19 years later someone found these films in the bag in the forest near where the car had been parked and sent the guy the 5 surviving films. After processing them at Dwaynes, images came out of all the 5 surviving films although on only 2 of the rolls were there not red colour casts. Those two rolls though could easily be corrected after scanning.
A couple of the pictures are below:

http://www.huennebeck-online.de/foto/kodachrome/stability.html

Of course Kodachrome is different to most colour film as its actually just a type of black and white film so that's likely why they survived so long. After processing though, properly stored Kodachromes will last an estimated 185 years before the yellow dye (the least stable) degrades 20%. Compare that to processed E-6 which will last according to Fuji, 12 years at room temp or 20 years if cold stored before they will degrade significantly.

Back