Gypsy Princess's

On the Huh

Little Ball of Fur
Name
Zulfi
Edit My Images
Yes
Well I found it interesting, even though no one may have! :)

Interesting is one word for it...............I can think of a few more, cringeworthy being the most polite

My big fat gypsy wedding. How hilarious was that, omg, the bride looked like she was gonna sit on a toilet roll with that dress. And bright pink brides maids, oh please. I'm sorry but I couldn't shoot a gypsy wedding as all the pictures would be blurry from me laughing so much.

got to agree, i watched the last season, and although over the top don't remember cringing as much, so maybe just a bad example.

but the young girl at her communion, i thought fair enough if thats what they want, but when i realised it was her whole class at the same time i didn't think it was fair at all.

a. the girl ended up look rediculous against the rest of her class and
b. the rest of the girls in the class must have felt shaddowed by her.

do what you wan't i say but not when its forcing it on everyone else which in my opinion is not fair.

Ignoring the outfits, was anyone else amazed by the complete lack of interest from anyone at the wedding or reception? Even when cutting the cake everyone was just sitting around ignoring the B&G. I just found it really odd, and the whole 'grabbing' thing is absurd.

I would like to know how much the wedding dresses cost and how they afford to buy them :shrug:

craigm said:
I would like to know how much the wedding dresses cost and how they afford to buy them :shrug:

I would guestimate around £3-£5k for the dress. As for how they afford them, no tax, no national insurance, no water bill, no electric bills, no car tax, no not, no insurance, groups going a shop and steel the clothes, when they go out to eat they walk out with out paying, steel a car, sell it for £5-£10k as a ringer, breed dogs and sell them, do I need to go on?

You can't help but watch it though. I went to see usher the other night and we must of had the whole cast of gypsy wedding behind us, it was ok though as security came and moved them all leaving only two behind us.

Sent from my iPhone using TP Forums

I would guestimate around £3-£5k for the dress. As for how they afford them, no tax, no national insurance, no water bill, no electric bills, no car tax, no not, no insurance, groups going a shop and steel the clothes, when they go out to eat they walk out with out paying, steel a car, sell it for £5-£10k as a ringer, breed dogs and sell them, do I need to go on?

You can't help but watch it though. I went to see usher the other night and we must of had the whole cast of gypsy wedding behind us, it was ok though as security came and moved them all leaving only two behind us.

what a load of bull

what gives you the right to tar all gypsy's with the same brush
i know of non travellers who are little sh**s and behave alot worse than most travellers does that make you the same

personally i think you sound like a right twit

what a load of bull

what gives you the right to tar all gypsy's with the same brush
i know of non travellers who are little sh**s and behave alot worse than most travellers does that make you the same

personally i think you sound like a right twit

Second that, do you think all Muslims are terrorists and all blacks are criminals too?

Most of the people on that program are travelers not proper Gypsy's, there is a difference.

Any evidence for those claims?

I think the ability to afford it comes from the fact they have far lower outgoings than the rest of us. Just the fact they live in a caravan has to mean they have lower costs of living, just think if you didn't have to pay your mortgage / rent every month how much better off would you be? Plus I don't think you can be charged Council tax for a mobile caravan? If I'm right that's another big saving.

How much less junk would you buy if you chose to live in a Caravan?

With the numbers of ANPR cameras around these days there is no way they can get away without having Car Insurance.

That said, it must be mighty difficult for HMRC to keep up with travellers & gypsys but I am sure that they all will honestly declare their full incomes, just like all photographers do!

I would guestimate around £3-£5k for the dress. As for how they afford them, no tax, no national insurance, no water bill, no electric bills, no car tax, no not, no insurance, groups going a shop and steel the clothes, when they go out to eat they walk out with out paying, steel a car, sell it for £5-£10k as a ringer, breed dogs and sell them, do I need to go on? You can't help but watch it though. I went to see usher the other night and we must of had the whole cast of gypsy wedding behind us, it was ok though as security came and moved them all leaving only two behind us.

BLIMEY!

You cannot class a whole community of people as thieves and non tax paying individuals.

The only thing I will say about fat gypsy wedding is, it's not a true representation of the gypsy lifestyle. The majority of people appearing in these episodes are Irish Travellers. They are completely different to true gypsies.

The grabbing fiasco appears to have started recently from a young group or Irish travellers and spread.

Oh and as for the estimate on the dresses, however, gawdy, double the higher figure and add a bit on.

Lisa

Last edited:

WHAT A MORON YOU ARE.:bang:

I deal with gypsys everyday and class quite alot of them as friends and you sir, are completely 100% correct. They are thievin *******s!
I still have a great laugh with them though, I just accept them as they are (y)

I've heard many a bad thing said about Gypsys/Travellers. Much in the same vein as TonyJ. The programme on the telly, I find them a nice bunch of people.
Most, (although, IMHO, have bad taste and are a bit behind in sex equality etc) seem pretty decent. Not sure the difference between Gypsies which I believe is derived from Egyptians and Romanys, which I believe is derived from Romanians, but the staple gypsy seems to be the Irish traveller? They seem pretty cool about being called Gypsies.

Mainy out of curiosity I'd like to learn more about this culture. There are bad ones, but feel it is completely wrong to tar them all with the same brush.

I feel sorry for the woman they get treated like **** basically there life is stuck in a caravan cleaning and cooking and not aloud to do **** the men are bullies possessive bullies the girl at the end of the last episode who got married definitely wasn't happy I would say she got forced into it total shame she seemed like a nice girl

Any evidence for those claims?

I think the ability to afford it comes from the fact they have far lower outgoings than the rest of us. Just the fact they live in a caravan has to mean they have lower costs of living, just think if you didn't have to pay your mortgage / rent every month how much better off would you be? Plus I don't think you can be charged Council tax for a mobile caravan? If I'm right that's another big saving.

How much less junk would you buy if you chose to live in a Caravan?

With the numbers of ANPR cameras around these days there is no way they can get away without having Car Insurance.

That said, it must be mighty difficult for HMRC to keep up with travellers & gypsys but I am sure that they all will honestly declare their full incomes, just like all photographers do!

You'd be supprised, the last figures I can find claim around 10% of drivers are uninsured.

swanseamale47 said:
You'd be supprised, the last figures I can find claim around 10% of drivers are uninsured.

When are those figures from? Also do they give any indication of how they calculate that 10%?

I'm very skeptical on stats as I know just how easy it is to prove anything if you manipulate enough!

swanseamale47 said:

About 4% according to the info at the bottom. However, they still don't make it clear how this estimate is calculated.

If it is from extrapolation of cars passing a single point which flag on ANPR as uninsured then the location of that point could make a huge difference. The edge of council estate vs posh suburbs I would expect to see a difference in numbers of uninsured cars.

As could errors in the database used! A difference of just 2 cars incorrectly marked as uninsured within a sample of 200 could make a huge impact the extrapolated number.

if anyone wants to know how we really live and our beliefs just pm me and i will try and explain because i promise the tv is no where near a true Representation

mat

Perhaps you should post a brief explanation on here. The views of that TonyJ writes is unfortunately what a lot of people think about gypsys, and I suspect many with these views have never come accross any gypsys before.

As a gypsy yourself, it must be a bit heartbreaking to hear this generalisation and hope that you can at least educate a few when it comes to your own romany culture.

Perhaps you should post a brief explanation on here. The views of that TonyJ writes is unfortunately what a lot of people think about gypsys, and I suspect many with these views have never come accross any gypsys before.

As a gypsy yourself, it must be a bit heartbreaking to hear this generalisation and hope that you can at least educate a few when it comes to your own romany culture.

i will do tonight

im a little busy at the moment but once i get a spare ten mins tonight i will type something up

mat

if anyone wants to know how we really live and our beliefs just pm me and i will try and explain because i promise the tv is no where near a true Representation

mat

That doesn't really come as a supprise. TV will try to present what they want to suit the story line, so they will "drama" it up a bit with selective editing (just look at big brother type programs) boring old real life wouldn't make very interesting telly I suppose.

deleted

the people who are interested in seeing a different view to a culture have by now read the post so i have deleted it

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Mat.

That's really good Mat. Hopefully it will banish some of the myths borne out of ignorance.

That's really good Mat. Hopefully it will banish some of the myths borne out of ignorance.

Despite Matt's explanation, a lot of the 'myths' are fact and come from experience and not ignorance.

Until this show was aired I had no idea why have a gypsy camp just down the road from me in a place called Rosehill.

After speaking to a friends dad who worked at the local Campervan & caravan company he has more than a few stories of these gypsies. Now, I can not comment on whether they are gypsies or travellers, but the camp has been there for years and they are most static people.

Over the years my mates dad has had death threats for all sorts of reasons, not giving discounts or fixing things for free, he's even had them for having to explain things to the kids because the dads can't understand him properly. He's had threats of having dogs set on him. He's had people turn up and pay £80k in cash for a top of the range brand new camper. They've had orders for imports, he's been offered stolen goods, and once even had his van stolen and it was used in a robbery to steal a load of metal and the dumped just down the road from his work.

I am NOT tarring them all with the same brush, however, you do and will get bad apples everywhere.

romani gypsies can be traced back to the indian subcontinent, as to why we left is a debate that people still argue about today.

in our language the word rom means "man" and because were known as romani that does not mean we come from romania far from it. the name romani whilst is egyptian again does not mean we come from there
( well if you google how we got that name you will see, basically some idiot said we did and the name has stuck).

as for the gypsy wedding tv programme i think it is very mis leading as it makes romani gypsy and irish traveller's out to be the same, and to be honest it could not be further from the truth ( no different from saying india is the same as ireland)

While we do have alot of customs similar to the irish travellers that doesnt mean we go about them the same way.
im not saying the irish travellers are wrong or right, its there way of life and tbh its no one elses business.

im sure there are thieves amongst the irish and romani groups but i know damn sure there are in every walks of life.

as you may have gathered by reading this post i am a romani gypsy

i got to work everyday, i adore my wife and children and try my best to give them everything they want, my wife doesnt work and yes she does the house work while im at work but believe me she wouldnt have it any other way either.
are we thieves no ( may have swiped a few packs of sweets when i was a lad) i totally disagree with stealing, have i had stuff taken from me from non gypsy/ travellers yes i have, but would i call you all thieves, never.

sorry if it sounds as though im ranting but it just gets to me that people are so quick to slate anyone who does'nt believe/fit in with there way of life.

i see it all the time when i tell people im a gypsy they look at you and check there pockets, and tbh im just mat

Thanks for taking the time to give an explanation of your way of life Mat, it seems anyone who isn't deemed by the "media" as being normal are marginalised.

Despite Matt's explanation, a lot of the 'myths' are fact and come from experience and not ignorance.

Until this show was aired I had no idea why have a gypsy camp just down the road from me in a place called Rosehill.

After speaking to a friends dad who worked at the local Campervan & caravan company he has more than a few stories of these gypsies. Now, I can not comment on whether they are gypsies or travellers, but the camp has been there for years and they are most static people.

Over the years my mates dad has had death threats for all sorts of reasons, not giving discounts or fixing things for free, he's even had them for having to explain things to the kids because the dads can't understand him properly. He's had threats of having dogs set on him. He's had people turn up and pay £80k in cash for a top of the range brand new camper. They've had orders for imports, he's been offered stolen goods, and once even had his van stolen and it was used in a robbery to steal a load of metal and the dumped just down the road from his work.

I am NOT tarring them all with the same brush, however, you do and will get bad apples everywhere.

i didnt say that the myths were not fact, of course some of them are true.

and i have been offered stolen goods also by gypsi ( romani and irish) but i can assure you ive been offered the same stuff by non gypsi.
i havnt really had threats by non gypsi but i have been put in hospital for being a gypsi on more than one occasion and the last time whch was about 3 years ago the doc said i was lucky to be leaving not in a box, partly my own fault for not justgivin in to the crap we have to put up with, that last one has resulted in me havin to got o hospital every 6 month to have pressure released from behind my eye

no culture is perfect

The travelling community does itself no favours. Look at the mess that is left behind when they do move on.

People will of course also deny that the crime rate in the local area goes up considerably when a camp is set up. 100% of the time? Maybe not but enough to earn a bad reputation & that reputation sticks.

Look at things like dumping. One of their big rackets is charging to collect rubbish which should then be disposed of in a council dump where payment would be required. What happens - the stuff gets dumped in a side road. Do other non travellers do this type of thing. Yes BUT when a travellers site is set up this type of behaviour goes through the roof.

I guess all the men in the programme who had their faces blurred out were just the shy retiring type. Err no me thinks not.

Of course there are many travellers who just don't wish to be tied down to one place for their whole lives and are fine people.

Out of interest Matty I see that you have had one iTade deal on here and you have negative feedback.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=277702

You had the money, you don't have the money, your Mrs find some money, then it all goes quiet and then you get a bad rating.

What happened there then?

Out of interest several of the tabloids have articles on the " big fat Gypsy wedding" today.

Back