Looking to buy a bridge camera as a first foray into hobby

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks,

As above, would like to buy a bridge camera and would like some advice if possible.

The sort of things I have been looking at so far are either the Panasonic DMC-FZ45 or Fuji Finepix S2500 HD

Was thinking that the Panasonic would appear to be the best option, as it would seem to lend itself to a little more creativity and learning than the Fuji... yes, ok... double the price, however, I may be one of the sort that never actually gets to managing a DSLR and am quite happy to admit this...

Looking at this as a hobby, not a profession..... particularly interested in wildlife and scenery type pics and in respect of wildlife, love the close up and macro type shots.

Any advice gratefully accepted... cheers.. J :beer:

The panasonic FZ series are meant to be highly rated and I was going to buy the old FZ28 before I decided on the Sony a300 instead. I'd say though that for wildlife I would just opt for a DSLR instead because it will have faster autofocus and even cheap lenses will be better quality. For a starter kit you could buy a second hand Sony a200 and then a Minolta 70-210mm lens which as I say would be a significant difference compared to the bridge cameras :)

I would consider the FZ38 over the 45. It's just gone down in price at Dixons, and the 45 really adds nothing useful. It doesn't have an articulated screen, or a bigger sensor, or even a hotshoe. It has 14 megapixels vs 12, but the same tiny sensor, and a 24x zoom that is overkill really. Plus both of those factors result in a decrease in image quality, rather than increase.

Thanks for your responses so far..... reason I am not looking too closely at DSLR's are i) had an olympus OM10 in the 70's and it baffled me :p so not sure if will ever go that route again... and, I have arthritis in my neck and shoulders (everywhere else as well, but mainly neck and shoulders), so carrying anything around is a royal pain!

Will look a little more closely at the FZ38... had seen an FZ35 on flea bay, but not too sure about going for it, as it is classed as 'grey goods' :thinking:

Have y0u considered the Fuji HS10? Was voted Bridge camera of 2010, and within your budget.

I had a FZ38 and can highly recommend it as a cheap but good bridge camera.
I got one for my holiday last year and was very impressed with it's performance. I got mine for about £240 and this was a year ago.

I do think it's a bit overkill for a novice who just wants to point and shoot. Lots and lots of options and settings but also a very good full auto mode. You can grow with it though and it has many of the same controls as a DSLR so it could help prepare for the big jump to DSLR if needed.

Last edited:
If you can then you may want to wait a couple of months and get the Fuji Finepix HS20 when it comes out in April.

Hmmm.... lots to choose from... however, now that I've seen the FZ38 coming in at a squinch under £200 may go for this and buy a few bits like a 3' pop up lightbox etc.... good way to keep snakes in one place when I take pics of them :LOL: and definately likely to need extra lights when taking indoor shots as my house is quite dark... any comments on lights whilst I'm here... or should I post that as a different topic?

If you taking shots close up, it is worth seeing what the minimal focal range is (the distance from the lens that the object has to be for the camera to focus) and also the Macro ability. The fuji does both of these well, and also has a Hotshoe so you can use an additional flashgun for better and more flexible flash. It is £230 ish, but you get a lot of camera for your money.

Hmmm.... lots to choose from... however, now that I've seen the FZ38 coming in at a squinch under £200 may go for this and buy a few bits like a 3' pop up lightbox etc.... good way to keep snakes in one place when I take pics of them :LOL: and definately likely to need extra lights when taking indoor shots as my house is quite dark... any comments on lights whilst I'm here... or should I post that as a different topic?

I cant help with the lights but i do have a couple of galleries of shots taken with my FZ38 that might help show the IQ.
This first one is mixed with my S90 but most of the day shots are FZ38
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davebass5/sets/72157624318445576/

These are all FZ38
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davebass5/sets/72157623847343904/

I should add that they are all shot Raw and converted in LR.

Last edited:
Hi panasonic fz 28 was my first bridge camera and was amazed by it. When the 38 come I went for it but wish I had not. On the 28 you could edit and take a hard copy of any frame in video witch gave me shoots you would be hard to get from single shoot or a burst of 5 to 15 frames. Between to two 28 every time. Battery life is a lot better as well on the 28. 38 you need a back up battery for safety.

Hi folks,

As above, would like to buy a bridge camera and would like some advice if possible.

The sort of things I have been looking at so far are either the Panasonic DMC-FZ45 or Fuji Finepix S2500 HD

Was thinking that the Panasonic would appear to be the best option, as it would seem to lend itself to a little more creativity and learning than the Fuji... yes, ok... double the price, however, I may be one of the sort that never actually gets to managing a DSLR and am quite happy to admit this...

Looking at this as a hobby, not a profession..... particularly interested in wildlife and scenery type pics and in respect of wildlife, love the close up and macro type shots.

Any advice gratefully accepted... cheers.. J :beer:

Now, the obvious advice would be to steer you towards a DSLR, but, as you stated later, you suffer from arthritus - not good for lugging around, especially with a big lens.

Bridge cameras have their advantages, together with a lot of disadvantages, but, provided you work within the limitations, then you should be able to get some good pics.
I can vouch for Panasonic camera and image quality, once you get away from the cheap end of compacts. Provided you don't want large prints and are not into pixel peeping, you will be fine.
It is a hobby after all, see how you go on.
An other area you may want to consider, is the new range of micro 4/3 or the Sony equivalent, small bodies, smallish lenses, big sensor (compared to compact and bridge).

Choices choices choices - what a dilemma! nothings ever easy is it?

Back