Portrait first timer

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all,

I had a bash at some portraits for the first time yesterday.

If anyone has the time to take a look and point me in the right direct I'd very much appreciate it (for the record, I'm well aware that on some of the images the necklace is messy - something I didn't notice till halfway through the shoot :bang:)

I also had a little play in PSE for #5 and #6, so C&C on that too please.

Thanks,
Michael

CC01.jpg

CC02.jpg

CC03.jpg

CC04.jpg

CC05.jpg

CC06.jpg

I really like #2, but I feel it could do with a sharpening up. Great job for your first time!

I think my favourite would be #6 if the colours were a bit more natural. I feel it was overexposed and some detail has been lost.

I agree with will about the overexposure on 6, and the intense colors. Try converting it to b&w perhaps?

I think #6 is pick of the bunch, but again agree with the overexposed - her chest is White.

#1 is let down by the expression - it just doesn't work - your model has a wonderful smile, capture it!

#2 is a good picture but lacks a certain something - I'm not an expert togger, but my best guess is the lack of sparkle (catchlight) in the eyes, especially the front one.

#3 is just too "pallid" - upping the contrast, or lowering exposure may help here?

#4 is good fun. I don't know if I'd prefer a fuller shot (wider angle), or maybe a different balance (framing), but I do like the shot as is.

#5 doesn't work for me - it's annoyingly grainy IMO, and the blurring out the necklace/chest doesn't work.

Coming back to #6, I think the framing is great, you've captured a great expression, and the background draws out the portrait well.

HTH

Nigel

Sent from my iPhone using TP Forums

Thanks for the comments all.

#6 was intentionally overexposed as I was trying to expose for the hair colour and not the whole image, but I appreciate your comments on the pose, composition, etc, thanks.

Any further comments are most welcome.

Hope you don't mind, I had a go with editing 2 and 3 to punch them up a bit. Let me know if you don't like them and I'll remove them:

CC02.jpg

CC03.jpg

You're more than welcome Charlotte, thanks for having a go (y)

Back