Manchester with a twist (caution heavy processing present)

drodd

Also loves to mass debate
Name
Dawn
Edit My Images
No
Hiya all,

I thought I would venture out of the Photo52 challenge, just for a change (as I seem to spending a all my time there lately).

On the 6th March 2011, I had the pleasure of meeting two fantastic peeps from TP, namely Mark (markmjh) and Sasha (travel shooter). Sasha arranged for us to meet up to do a bit of street photography around Manchester. So Mark and I met up and caught a bus from Accrington town centre. What an experience that was (hadn't been on a bus in yonks), not only was the bus stopped en route to chuck 2 people off, but then the bus broke down in Prestwich (wow that was an experience and sight to see all the people dressed in their religious attire).

Anyway, eventually we made it to Manchester and met Sasha in Piccadilly Gardens.

First stop was Afflecks Palace (I was in my element .... this is an absolute emporium lovers haven :D).

There was also a Marie Currie fund raising day on, so many collectors dressed up in various outfits.

It was a brilliant day, full of a variety of photographic experience, from product photography, architecture, street photography, candids, grunge, structures, graffiti, omg the list goes on.

I took over 350 photos in 3 hours, and was absolutely shattered after that :LOL:

Here are a few photos from the many I took (well at least the ones I have had time to process so far .... it has been so hectic lately at work, home and with my photography [doing a 52 and 365, not to mention all the side lines] just not enough minutes in the day), but I thought I would share some with you (btw very heavy post processing applied in most .... because they cried out for some creativity, so probably classified more as images than photographs .... but all produced from pics shot on the day):

May have to post the pics in two posts as there are a quite a few

1. Different spin on Harvey Nichols (not sure they would appreciate such :LOL:)
5529715375_3a54a2ce1c_b.jpg

2. Posters in Afflecks
5529715115_91bfa82811_b.jpg

3. The aliens are watching us
5530301834_a4648a030a_b.jpg

4. Into the Studio
5529714075_d14d0ccfc7_b.jpg

5. Abstract Beads
5530301080_a954eff69d_b.jpg

6. Cathedral Windows (Abstract)
5530296952_9f4d52d07a_b.jpg

Granted this is a lot to go at, not necessarily looking for c&c, but any would be welcome if you have the time to provide feedback. Just wanted to share the pics.

More to follow ......

Cheers

Dawn :)

more from Manchester....

7. Part of the Triangle
5530300330_9f348d6c78_b.jpg

8. Sasha (travel shooter) TP member and an absolutely ACE gal ;) Thanks babes for arranging the day out x
5530295152_209cbce74b_b.jpg

will post other pics in the 'spot a tog' thread :D

9. Street shuffle
5530294916_a68d4f1175_b.jpg

(my fav from the day ... taken from the bus trip home)

10. Part of Afflecks
5530291788_fbd3b5cd96_b.jpg

11. Afflecks Palace from a different angle
5529703879_1deee2a397_b.jpg

12. b&w signs
5530294008_5d88b4ff38_b.jpg

Okay I think that is enough for now ... if you would like to see more or want to see the others I finally get round to processing over the next few weeks, pop along to my Flickr site (link in sig) to see more.

Thanks for taking a peek ;)

Cheers

excellent series and a good blog to boot.......best photo account I have seen in ages.....

excellent series and a good blog to boot.......best photo account I have seen in ages.....

Hiya Tom (I think)

Wow, that is some praise, and I thank you kindly.

So it was well worth my venturing out of my TP Photo52 comfort zone :p

Actually I have been so busy lately with my photo projects that I have neglected posting in the TP general and themed threads (I have taken some fab photos of various subjects since the start of the year). I must make time to post same here.

The learning experience I've had recently, not to mention the inspiration has been fantastic. I am on such a journey!!!

Now if only I could find someone to pay me to take photos and post pics all day, I would be a happy bunny :D

cheers

Love Street Shuffle. Is all the PP in Photoshop?

Thanks, all the PP is done in Picnik (I don't have Photoshop). I find Picnik easier to use than some other PP packages.

Picnik is a free download, which one can upgrade to a premium account for a fee (which I did and it has already paid itself), here is a link if you are interested in finding out more: http://www.picnik.com

Cheers

A very nice collection as a whole with Street Shuffle being my favourite

Hiya Pete,

Thanks for the compliment. Street Shuffle is my fav too, as is 'Into the Studio'.

Cheers

Some really imaginative/inventive processing in these shots, well done :clap:!

I can't say much about the underlying photography (too heavily obscured ;)), but the final images are certainly effective.

Very sorry but I'm not a fan of any of these. heavy processing makes them very very bad. you are right to put caution on the title. Not a single one I like.

Sorry, but I'm really not 'feeling' any of these.
'Into the Studio' is the pick of the bunch for me.. but I think it could do without the harsh internal frame.

Some really imaginative/inventive processing in these shots, well done :clap:!

I can't say much about the underlying photography (too heavily obscured ;)), but the final images are certainly effective.

Thanks Andy for the comments. I decided to use the photographs to make them into something different using the heavy processing, mainly to experiment with different techniques.

Very sorry but I'm not a fan of any of these. heavy processing makes them very very bad. you are right to put caution on the title. Not a single one I like.

Hi Smith, thanks for your critique. Understandably these will not be to everyones taste, but heyho that is how it goes with art.

I like the alien (presume a spray paint on a wall?).

The beads is like a tron with the post processing.

Not too keen on the reflection pp but does work with the posters in the window.

Overall looks like a great day of shooting. Keep it up!

Hi, the alien is not a sray paint on a wall, it was a photo of an alien model on a shelf holding the camera. I applied a brick wall theme to it to make it look like it was a spray painting.

I can see what you mean about the beads looking like a tron. When I processed the image I was looking to create a prism effect.

Thanks for comments (y)

Sorry, but I'm really not 'feeling' any of these.
'Into the Studio' is the pick of the bunch for me.. but I think it could do without the harsh internal frame.

Hi Chris, thanks for the feedback. As I mentioned above, this type of art is not everyones cuppa. I can see what you mean about the harsh internal frame, I might change that when I get a chance.

Thanks all for taking the time to comment and critique.

These were just a few of the many photos I took on the day. When I get chance I will post a couple of the more subtle photos.

Cheers

Great set

Number 12

Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Slipknot, System of a Down, Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Roses

Where were they pasted ??

Great set

Number 12

Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Slipknot, System of a Down, Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Roses

Where were they pasted ??

Hiya Phil,

Thanks for the comment (y)

The posters are pasted on the stairway walls in Afflecks Palace. It is a fab building inside with loads of photography potential.

Cheers

It's an interesting approach, but personally I don't feel like you've captured Manchester at all.. nothing screams out and says "THIS IS MANCHESTER!" to me. Especially the shots of Afflecks, it's a very iconic place and you could get some great shots there - but in yours it just looks like the rooftop of any old building.

Hiya Dawn, It certainly was a worth while trip, you have done yourself pround there, numbers 3 and 6 are my favourites. (y)

Hiya Michael,

Thanks for the compliments and for pointing out your favourites. It was indeed a worthwhile outing, one that I thoroughly enjoyed :D

It's an interesting approach, but personally I don't feel like you've captured Manchester at all.. nothing screams out and says "THIS IS MANCHESTER!" to me. Especially the shots of Afflecks, it's a very iconic place and you could get some great shots there - but in yours it just looks like the rooftop of any old building.

Hiya Andrew,

Thanks for the feedback. It was my first visit to Manchester and my first 'street photography' shoot and actually my intention was not to necessarily capture the 'feel of Manchester', but to build my confidence of taking photos in public. It turned into a bit of a 'mixed bag' sort of day, with a bit of everything, which resulted in me expressing some creativity.

Next time I'm in Manchester I'll make sure to pay more attention to the rooftops ;)

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers

im gonna go against the general feedback here and say im not a fan of the pp on any if im honest, sorry but its not my cup of tea! id be interested to see some of the originals though?

im gonna go against the general feedback here and say im not a fan of the pp on any if im honest, sorry but its not my cup of tea! id be interested to see some of the originals though?

Hiya Tom,

Thanks for your feedback and opinion, they all count. I appreciate this is not to everyones taste and was pretty much a trial and error sort of post.

I've been so busy lately with various things, but as soon as I get a chance I will create a thread with some of the original shots, for those who are not keen on the processing.

These are only a few of the pics I have managed to sort through, and I still have another 100 or so to go through from the day.

When I post the 'unprocessed' thread I will note it here so that peeps can check out the 'raw' pics.

Cheers

Back