Hunters in the undergrowth (some more added)

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
The sunny weather has brought out hundreds of little wolf spiders, about 5mm body length, all looking for a meal.

These were all taken with various combinations of extension tubes, TCs and a Tamron 90mm macro on a D90. The first two are two shot stacks.

Wolf Spider by jomike, on Flickr

Last edited:
I do not like spider but I do like these, so crisp and clear.

spike

These are absolutely fabulous shots. I've had a go at photographing little beasties and haven't been very successful. How do you get close to them and keep them still for long enough? Go out early morning when it's cold? Also, are you using a reflector or artificial lighting? Any tips would be gratefully received!

Thanks everyone. I love the Tamron 90mm macro.

For these shots I pick a likely spot, with lots of old dead leaves, and get a comfortable position and keep still. After a while, if you keep still, the spiders will come out (sometimes other creatures as well) and then it is a matter of slowly moving the camera nearer untill the subject is in focus. I hand hold the camera, but support my hand our elbow on the ground to keep steady.

This is my set up with Kenko tubes and a Kenko Pro 1.4TC and a SB600. I made a flash diffuser from a plastic milk bottle that fits over the end of the Tammy 90.

D90 Tamron 90mm macro Kenko 1.4TC and tube setup by jomike, on Flickr

Good to see your setup. Is there anything holding the milk bottle in place other than friction?

No 1 is my favourite out of the set.

Good to see your setup. Is there anything holding the milk bottle in place other than friction?

No 1 is my favourite out of the set.

Thanks Jonothan, the piece of milk bottle has a hole cut in that fits snugly into the groove where the hood would clip on the front of the lens.

Lovely shots - I think number 4 is my favourite.

I've never tried photographing insects, might need to give it a try.

#2 and #4 are brilliant - love the plastic bottle diffuser :)

i found a few sandwich backs wrapped around the flash worked well too!

Great shots..especially like 1 & 4. The detail of the eyes is great. I also love your diffuser. A great way of recycling our rubbish,turning it into camera gear. Off to find an empty milk bottle now.

1st class set :clap::clap:

Love the diy diffuser, can you make me one for my ring flash :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Les (y)

OMG I hate spiders but you have actually managed to make them look cute... I swear #2 is smiling at me! :D

great photos(y)
and a great set up
just of to make mine
thanks for showing us
all the best
mick

Bloody hell I dont hate spiders but I'm not fond of them either. Your photos of them are superb tho.

These are excellent. #3 of the second set is amazing!

I was out also this morning. Tried to shoot a spider with a Sigma 70-300mm with no tripod!! Just wasn't happening :)

Many thanks for a great share.

These are excellent shots. How far away were you from the spider on the first set of shots? Which set of tubes would you recommend for a 100mm canon macro lens?

Probably a silly question but how on earth do you know where the spider is going to appear?

Superb shots. I have a Tamron 90mm - but clearly I need some extension tubes!! Thanks for the photo of the set-up, which is really helpful.

Back