Review Think Tank Sling-O-Matic 20

Name
Russ
Edit My Images
Yes
This is my first online review, hope it helps anyone thinking of getting this bag.

First off I’ll list the current photo equipment I currently house in a Lowepro Flipside 400AW
Canon 7D
EF-S 17-55mm IS (plus hood)
EF 70-200mm L f2.8 IS II
Speedlite 580EX II
486RC2 Ball Head
Manfrotto 190X Pro B Tripod
Remote Shutter
Various Filters
Spare Memory Card
Battery Charger and Lead
Camera & Flash manuals

Previous to owning a 7D I had a 400D and Kit Lens which I used to house in a Lowepro Slingshot 100. As my I upgraded my equipment I needed a bigger bag so went for the Flipside 400. The Flipside is a great bag but I missed the ease of use of the sling bag. Some people don’t get on with sling bags but personally I like them. We are off to Florida later in the year and I decided I wanted a sling bag again as opposed to a back pack. After a couple months of research I plumped for the Think Tank Sling-O-Matic 20. It had good reviews from the few I could find and would hold all the kit I’ll need for the holiday.
I bought the bag from Clifton Cameras and a couple of days later it arrived (great service).

The TT is roughly the same size as the Flipside. Official dimensions are:

Outer: 28W x 42H x 15D cm

Inner: 27.5W x 39H x 14D cm

The TT is unique in that it can be worn on either the right or left shoulder due to the cleverly designed shoulder strap. It can literally be changed over instantly, you don’t have to undo any straps, it just slides across to the other side.

Extras with the bag are a Raincover, Tripod, Chest and Waist Straps and 7 extra foam dividers.

The bag is accessed from a zipped side panel. The zips are huge and look very strong.

I have arranged all my gear in two different configurations. In the first configuration I have the 70-200mm Lens attached to the body with the lens hood attached.

Underneath I have the 17-55mm with hood reverse, 580Ex II, Tripod Ballhead, Charger and lead.

The second configuration has the 70-200mm off camera and housed at the bottom of the bag. Next the 7D with 17-55mm attached (hood reversed) with the charge and lead under it. Finally Ball head and Flash. There is a felt flap to protect the LCD of the body, I have it tucked down in the photo.

There is a clear pocket on the inside of the panel flap which will hold spare memory cards, filters and batteries. The bag easily holds all my gear and more. I hope to get a 10-22mm in the future and there will be plenty of room for it.

On the opposite side of the bag to the access panel is a long side pocket. This can be used for carrying a tripod or water bottle.

On the front and back are zippered pockets. These are easily big enough to carry manuals, magazines or a netbook.

The TT is a great bag and fits my requirements perfectly. The only downside is the price, its expensive. I am a believer in you get what you pay for and the quality of this bag is outstanding and I’m confident it will last me for years to come.

The Sling-O-Matic range also comes in a smaller and larger size, the Sling-O-Matic 10 and 30.

Check out ThinkTankphoto.com for specifications and videos. Also here’s the instruction pdf which has more details.
If anyone wants anymore details please ask.

Back