Nikon MB-D10. Fake or Real

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
This is where it all started. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....396999&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2118wt_985

Have a look at the pictures below. This is what arrived from FedEx this morning. I was suspicious immediately because of the condition of the box. That let me to look further and in more detail at what was inside.

Any MB-D10 owners out there that can tell me if this is real or counterfeit. The picture on the listing is ever so slightly different to what I received today.

My main suspicion is that it feel very plasticy, the battery tray sticks sometimes and, the stitching around the top of the case is poor but the main difference I've spotted, look at the 3 small screws between the camera terminals and the main screw to the camera. From what I have seen online, the 'real' ones only have 2 here.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

and

simple answer is regester it on your product warranty regester list on the nikon website?

davep90 said:
simple answer is regester it on your product warranty regester list on the nikon website?

It says genuine on the ad and for the price being charged I would expect a nikon one so make sure.

I thought the genuine ones were made if magnesium like the d300 camera body. I bought a cheap plastic knock off a few years ago and never had a problem with it, but if I paid that price I would want the real thing. Good luck with it.

I have a 205xxxx serial number MBD10 and it has only the 2 screws - and it's defo not plasticy. you could go and handle one in a shop and I reckon you'd be able to tell pretty quick.

I'm a Canon shooter so have never seen the Nikon grip up close but you've definitely been sent a different grip to the one in the listing because, as you say, the one in the listing (genuine?) only has 2 screws next to the connector;

457547254_o.jpg

I'd be getting onto the seller about a return, especially considering the cost.

Cheers
Steve

I feel paypal will be your way forward here. Dont delay making a claim and reporting the seller.

Just had a look at mine and it only has 2 screws. I think you'll find this is definitely not the real thing.

The first thing that sets the bells ringing is the price, over a £100 cheaper than a genuine Nikon one.

I got mine 2nd hand and that was £180, so expecting a geniune Nikon one for £156 is definitely a no no.

Got a response from the guy pretty quick. He pleaded that he knew nothing of the non-genuine part and blamed a new supplier. He's GOT to know, surely.

Anyway, refund has been issued and I told him as soon as the refund his my bank account from Paypal he can have it back. He even said he'll refund me the shipping cost once I've sent a tracking number.

This is the second time this week I've managed to get a fake Nikon product. 1st a EN-EL3e now this. Nikon have nothing on their site about counterfeit grips. I'm in two minds to send them the details.

Thanks for your responses!

I'm off now to buy a genuine grip from a real shop!!

Nikon have nothing on their site about counterfeit grips. I'm in two minds to send them the details.

I would. Maybe the retailer would like to add his 2p in as well, if they truly didn't know it was fake.

I wonder whether any other members will have a grip with the same serial number?

I know it gets said all the time - but if the price is too good to be true - then it normally is just that..

Glad you got a positive response - bet you he'll keep selling them though...

Just had a look at mine and it only has 2 screws..

same here with mine.... What did/does it say on the bottom/underside of the grip :shrug:

Last edited:
this is the bottom of the fake one. Nearly convincing.

Report it to Nikon. They need to know about bogus Nikon product and people selling them, it stops other people getting ripped off.

Thats pretty convincing stuff, appart from the extra screw it looks identical to a legit MB-D10 and also the poor quality battery compartment pouch, did it come in a Nikon box, with the Manual and the Nikon Registration Card

Appears to be one of those sellers who knowingly sell fakes as geniune in the hope that no one will notice but who will actually deal with it and pretend they don't know and blame their suppliers, quite a few memory card sellers do that as well.

Hope you manage to get it sorted without too much fuss.

If the MB-D10s are fakes, where do they get the Nikon boxes from?

That's a good point! Faking a Nikon box would obviously be MUCH harder than faking a Nikon battery grip!

:D

If you can fake the grip, you can fake the box ;)

if it was bought from a uk seller report it to trading standards too, if not the complaint to ebay and leave negative feedback

Last edited:
I'm a Canon shooter so have never seen the Nikon grip up close but you've definitely been sent a different grip to the one in the listing because, as you say, the one in the listing (genuine?) only has 2 screws next to the connector;

457547254_o.jpg

I'd be getting onto the seller about a return, especially considering the cost.

Cheers
Steve

Erm...that photo has been taken from my review of the MB-D10. Cheeky little...

I'd say if they aer taking other peoples photos, they are selling fake goods!!

Last edited:
Seeing ad no one else seemed to be bothering I reported him to nikon uk on thursday with links to the sale and this thread...

Back