Sigma 24-70 2.8 LENS TEST (2)

Edit My Images
Yes
OK, I have attached two more images as per previous post.

To recap, I have a sigma 24-70 which I think is to soft.

Image 1 was taken with a Canon 55-200mm4.6-5.6
f4.5, ISO 100, 1/160.
bike1.jpg

image 2 was taken with the Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 EX DG macro.
f2.8, ISO 100, 1/320.
bike2.jpg

Thanks Spence

The 24-70 is a grand lens, but can be a touch soft in certain instances - I've found that Wide Angle does end up with softer images than normal.

Yours does look soft there, but I'm not sure it's a 100% fair fight there.

Try taking a photo of something with clearer defined lines? I use a book or similar sometimes, to help judge.

When shooting at f2.8, don't forget that your DOF is going to be minimal, if you miss the focus point, even slightly, then everything can look soft. Are you autofocusing or using manual focus? Have you made sure the MF clutch is disengaged if using AF?

Cheers,
James

Hi Spence,

That shot simply looks out of focus, are you 100% bang on that you were correctly focused?

Might be worth using a tripod too, just to make sure there's no movement there - there shouldn't be at that speed, but you never know.

Cheers,
James

A dartboard makes a good test piece.

Use a tripod, perpendicular to the board and shoot each lens using the same or similar aperture in aperture priority mode. I can't see how your camera body would let you take that last shot if you were in AF mode, nothing is in focus.

If you think its too soft send it back to Sigma let them have a look, or get a replacement from WHE.

try using a faster shutter speed. I have this lens and it's amazing, infact here's one I took earlier!

flybv6.jpg

Spencer - Dont froget when uploading images to the Web to convert the colour to sRGB leaving them as AdobeRGB gives you dull, washed out colours.

Marik - Very nice capture.

Shame, as someone said. If I doubt, get it replaced! It really is a top drawer lens... if you get a decent one!

And here's one of mine with the aforementioned lens.

CRW_0067.jpg

I think there's either some user error here, or you have a faulty lens. Does it get sharper at f8?

Cheers,
James

My new replacement lens arrived yesterday, I sent the faulty one back on Tuesday expecting to wait at least a couple of weeks! A big thumbs up to Warehouse express.(y)

Anyway I've had a quick play tonight.(with the lens)
And it is far sharper than the original lens!!:woot::woot:

Spence

Hoorah!

Nice one matey, and well done to WE!

Cheers,
James

Back