First rainbow I have seen in 2011 (Added more of another rainbow yesterday)

drodd

Also loves to mass debate
Name
Dawn
Edit My Images
No
Hiya

Went outside after a rain shower earlier and saw a beautiful rainbow in the sky. It didn't stay around for long, but fortunately I had my camera so got a few shots. Here are two I thought I'd share with you:

5701486570_d91d8cd162_b.jpg
[/url] Rainbow-1 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

5701487028_b3987f2043_b.jpg
[/url] Rainbow-2 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Cheers

Dawn :)

Last edited:
Lovely Dawn, fab moody rain clouds and great to see the rainbow against them, love the gradient blue sky behind (y)

Hiya Dave,

Thanks for the comments .... the sky looked very moody and I find rainbows always stand out better against the dark clouds. Also loved the blue of the sky. I love seeing rainbows :D

Cheers

Love them both. Still fascinated by them after all my years...

Love them both. Still fascinated by them after all my years...

Hiya Trevor,

Thank you .... indeed I am too fascinated by rainbows .... they are wonders of nature and reflect the power of light.

Cheers

i love rainbows.... and love these shots... you do realise that a rainbow is actually circular if viewed at its correct angle...not so much a ribbon across the sky...

i'm not mad...

i love rainbows.... and love these shots... you do realise that a rainbow is actually circular if viewed at its correct angle...not so much a ribbon across the sky...

i'm not mad...

Hiya Kev,

Thanks .... yes I know what you mean, but unfortunately this was the only bit I could see from my vantage point so had to make the most of it :D

Cheers

Hi Dawn, 2 nice pics there, had some rain here, but unfortunately no rainbows. Love the mood in your pics. (y)

Hiya Michael,

Thanks for the comments. Must say I like this little rainbow trap I live in :D although we don't see many in a year, all depends on the time of day that it rains and where the sun is ... but when it happens they are very impressive.

I have a few photos, although not the best, of the end of the rainbow .... but then again I took them in my early days of photography ... think I need to dig them out again and see if I can do some magic on them to bring out the best of them.

The best thing about these two is that with all I have learned over the last year about photography I got photos that I was pleased with, so I must be heading in the right direction :)

Cheers

I love rainbows :) great shots Dawn with strong contrast and well defined colour, but I'm not sure the shadow frames set them off right. Had a quick play, but it was hard with the vignette and I didn't want to crop. Just let me know and I'll remove;

Untitled-1.jpg

Might have to go and play with the sprinkler outside tomorrow and create some rainbows to shoot!

Hiya Caleb,

Thank for popping past to look, comment and for the edit.

Initially I had thought of, and applied a black border to them, but thought it a bit harsh for the image, mainly because I view rainbows as something delicate ... a bit like fairies dancing in the light, so I thought the softer border was more appropriate and wanted the rainbow to take the dominance rather than the frame.

You may leave your edit as it would be interesting to see what others think of the different frames.

Thanks for taking the time and showing your thoughts of the pics.

Cheers

Really nice, i like #2 best we've had some storms about which we normally get a lot later in the year, love the changes in weather this year ((((superb)))) :D

Really nice, i like #2 best we've had some storms about which we normally get a lot later in the year, love the changes in weather this year ((((superb)))) :D

Hiya Graham,

Thanks, must say I like #2 also because it looks like the light reflecting from the clouds is dividing the rainbow ..... would have been better if I could have got more equilibrium in that regards, but this rainbow faded so quickly and I was actually lucky to get the shots .... it was all over in a matter of minutes.

I agree, I too love the changes in the weather this year .... it has presented many photo opportunities .... and this is just the start of what is to come .... I think we will be in for a good photo season.

I've got a 4 week continuous camper van holiday planned later this year (early August through to early September) stretching from Land's End to John O'Groats. I hope it is going to be amazing weather, with a bit of rain and sun at the right moments to take some stunning shots, oh and those moody skies will be a blessing whilst up on the West Coast Islands of Scotland :D

Cheers

Hi dawn,
Love your two photos. The rainbow really stands out against the sky and dark clouds.I prefer your framing of the images.

Hi dawn,
Love your two photos. The rainbow really stands out against the sky and dark clouds.I prefer your framing of the images.

Hiya Ceri,

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated. I too prefer the lighter frames.

I have been fortunate enough to get some more shots of another rainbow tonight, including a double rainbow, and some great cloud shots. I am just looking through them now and will post some later.

Cheers

Hiya Kev,

:LOL: No problem .... I love them ;)

I will be posting more photos that I took yesterday, just sorting through them now.

Cheers

Hiya,

Thanks for the comments about the first two photos in the OP.

I was so pleased when once again, yesterday, we had another rainbow and a double one too, not to mention the fantastic cloudy sky (I'll post photos of the clouds in a separate thread).

Here are more rainbow photos, which I also got a bit creative with some:

5710888201_5c2f5a07c6_b.jpg
[/url] Rainbow by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

5710887959_71df120bdd_b.jpg
[/url] somewhere over the rainbow by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

5710887203_fa4daba22f_b.jpg
[/url] Rainbow Birth by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

5710884779_72288b3077_b.jpg
[/url] The Rainbow Divide by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

5711443882_5660a3fc4a_b.jpg
[/url] Through the rainbow by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Any comments would be great, especially as for what camera settings work best for these types of shots.

Cheers

Back