Nikon AF 300mm f/4

TCR4x4

Wishes he had a couple more Inches
Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Rather than Hijack Mervs thread, although this question is similar.
Has anyone experience if using the non AF-S version of this for airshows? Kemble is fast approaching and I dont have a long lens. I quite fancy trying a prime and cant afford the AF-S.
Is the autofocus really that slow? Can it keep up with low flying fast jets?

It isn't bad if your subjects are in the 50'-inf range or not changing distance dramatically, both of which should apply for a lot of shots since you'll be over 100' and close enough to infinity focus for all of them. You can set the focus limiter to 30' or 40' (i forget which is conveniently marked) and keep in in the longer distance range. That will prevent hunting.

This is on a D90. The d700 should be better I would think.

Thanks
Rick

Thanks. Im torn between this and the sigma 150-500 OS.

The zoom would be handy, as would the OS. But then the idea of a sharp prime really appeals, but the lack of zoom is obviously worth condsidering, especially at an airshow.

Tough choice!

I shoot handheld, and if you have enough light, the prime is wonderful. I try to stop it down to 5.6, and then also keep the shutter at 1/500. If you can do that, you can get some really awesomely sharp pictures.

At f4 and 1/320, you need to shoot in bursts and you'll get 50/50 that are truly sharp. Since I don'tmind shooting 1600 or even 3200 ISO on my D90, I'm usually in pretty good shape.

Thanks
Rick

Have you got any pictures anywhere to view with the 300 f/4?

I was going to bid on one today but it topped £400 and there are some on BIN for less.

Yeah thats it. There is another for £380 with £15 postage too. Suprised you didnt go for that one.

Im still sliding towards a Sigma 150-500 now though!

Didn't see that one tbh, and can't see it now either?

I'm looking forward to trying it anyway, as I reckon the 300mm will go lovely at the rallies I shoot at.

but looking to stick a kenko 1.4x TC on for some widlife too.

Here's a couple that I have to hand (i.e. online). The local waterfowl are generally obliging when I want some animal portraits and practice. I like wildlife, so that's what my shots tend to be.

A heavy crop (bird was 40 yards high):

i-gJgdFvD-L.jpg

i-Rm3f3h3-L.jpg

1245203090_82A4b-L.jpg

i-2xWTFmp-L.jpg

Looks very sharp! Thanks

Tis sharp! Just got back from the local reserve and the 300mm looks to be a gorgeous lens once I've gotten used to it.

It's the first real prime I've used and I love it, the dof is beautiful on all images and the crisp sharpness is great.

Will try and post up some of what I got.

Also, may add a kenko 1.4x TC to mine in the future when funds allow lol

I tried the 300 AF F/4 for motorsport on the D300. It was chronically slow to focus, even worse when tried on my D70s. Sold it on after using it twice....

I tried the 300 AF F/4 for motorsport on the D300. It was chronically slow to focus, even worse when tried on my D70s. Sold it on after using it twice....

What (if anything) did you get to replace it?

A quick image of a Gosling i just processed. First image with the lens and new D200 so not exactly brilliant yet, but i will get there

5715801069_aac412085f_z.jpg

I aim to try the lens with some motorsport but...and it's a big but...I reckon it will be difficult and quite frustrating.

Yes the lens AF is slow, I tried to track an arctic tern today with **** all chance, but my motorsport is mainly Rally so reckon if I get in a good spot and pre-focus on the spot I want then might get away with it, but only time will tell. That's one reason I've not yet sold my 70-300mm siggy apo dg ii - this has been a gem for rally.

The 300mm F4 will do me nicely for some wildlife and candids of my nieces.

Very nice shot!
Im thinking with aircraft which is what I'll mainly use it for, I should be ok, as you can pretty much gess where the plane is going to be and get the focus somewhere near.

But still that siggy is tempting me. Its about £200-£300 more expensive though.

I opted for the 300 over my propsed Sigma 120-400mm due mainly to Sigma's quality control (sometimes you can fall unlucky and have focus issues which can be a pain), and I have suffered with this on 2 occasions now.

Always fancied the quality of Nikon glass, esp a prime, and read up on this gem on Ken Rockwells website a few times. Decided I could whack a TC on when light conditions were good and I will get 420mm f/5.6 - ok with the lens being kinda slow anyway the TC won't help matters, but I do get better reach for wildlife and also image quality doesn't decrease too much on the prime.

I did shoot a heron today as it flew over me and it didn't take long to focus on that as it's flight was more controlled compared to the arctic tern which was going balliastic to put it bluntly ;)

Also as you say the price comes into it also, I saved probably 180-200 quid by getting the 300, which I can now use to grip the D200 and also get my TC :)

It's all down to what you want from your photography and what you are willing to part with.

Haha yeah, been there before. I dont think I could get away with it again for a while!

Hi Tom - don't worry about highjacking my thread, I think I have flogged it to death. I have a Sigma 150-500 (unused) except for a few pics of ducks at 500mm which were brilliant. I am going to Kemble and will be coming over by car for a holiday as well. If you wanted to you would be very welcome to borrow it and use if for as long as you wanted if you wanted to meet me somewhere. I am staying at Uley near Dursley for a week. I am taking a 300/2.8 and 70-200 with TC 20EIII and a 14EII so I am unlikely to use the Siggy but would bring it with me if you were interested. That way you would not have to risk the expenditure particularly if you didnt like the results. If I can find any pics with this lens I will post a few. merv

Tom I see you have a D700 - do you feel that you loose out on reach with the full-frame? I have the 700 as well as the D300 and get confused when thinking what lens to put on which camera for best effect. Thats why I say I flogged the other thread to death repeating myself. merv:thinking:

Bet you aren't looking back now though Graham lol ;)

Fair play to you, that's one fabulous lens

Tbh I bought it to do motorsport shots and then decided not to, so as I'd hardly used it I decided to sell it. Took some example shots with it for the listing, looked at them and decided to keep it :LOL:

Hi Tom - don't worry about highjacking my thread, I think I have flogged it to death. I have a Sigma 150-500 (unused) except for a few pics of ducks at 500mm which were brilliant. I am going to Kemble and will be coming over by car for a holiday as well. If you wanted to you would be very welcome to borrow it and use if for as long as you wanted if you wanted to meet me somewhere. I am staying at Uley near Dursley for a week. I am taking a 300/2.8 and 70-200 with TC 20EIII and a 14EII so I am unlikely to use the Siggy but would bring it with me if you were interested. That way you would not have to risk the expenditure particularly if you didnt like the results. If I can find any pics with this lens I will post a few. merv

Tom I see you have a D700 - do you feel that you loose out on reach with the full-frame? I have the 700 as well as the D300 and get confused when thinking what lens to put on which camera for best effect. Thats why I say I flogged the other thread to death repeating myself. merv:thinking:

Hi Merv, thats very kind of you thanks! Im not 100% sure if Im going yet. I need to speak to my dad to see if I can get a pass for the weekend. I dont like paying :LOL:
If I havent caved in and bought one before then (I'd quite like to get some shots of all the birds in the garden too) then I will take you up on that offer!

As for reach. I havent used the D700 at an airshow yet, the last show I did I had a D200 and siggy 50-500.
Kemble is a very "local" show and the action is usually very close. I dont think I ever used 500mm on the d200 as eveything was so close.
Its growing bigger, so it may be different this year, but the past few years Ive been, its been a very good small scale but action packed show.

Just won a 300 f/4 on the bay for £375 inc P&P. I was bidding on several 150-500's but got outbid by £10 on every one at £565.

Hopefully it will arrive on Tuesday. Looking forward to it!

Congrats on the win, thats a fine price.

I love mine to bits, was shooting birds in flight yesterday with no problems, hope you love it as much

Well, its arrived, much smaller than I thought, though very sturdy. Going to have to gaffa tape the hood I reckon, its very loose, cant understand why Nikon didn't put some sort of twist lock or something on it.

First impressions... Very good!

Here are some hand held photos, really overcast day here so light isnt brilliant. Nothing technically amazing, just testing the sharpness etc.

Must say its very sharp, even wide open. My hands really aren't very steady and I really needed a wee, which didn't help. With the monopod I imagine they should be even sharper!

100% crop 1/1250 f/5.0 ISO 200

100% crop by TCR4x4, on Flickr

1/800 f/5.0 ISO 200​

DSC_5070 by TCR4x4, on Flickr

1/1000 F5.0 ISO 200​

DSC_5064 by TCR4x4, on Flickr

1/200 F4 ISO 200​

DSC_5001 by TCR4x4, on Flickr

1/400 F/5.6 ISO 200​

DSC_4984 by TCR4x4, on Flickr​

Last edited:
Hi tom,

Mind adding in the basic exif data? Looks like all are wide open or slightly stopped down. What about shutter speeds?

Looks like a good copy to me.

Thanks
Rick

Added exif.
Havent stopped down past F/5.6 with it yet. Its not really light enough outside at the moment. Hopefully brighten up tomorrow.

Couple more! Is this lens sharp..
That'll be a HELL YES! All uncropped, sharpened, clarity and noise reduction if needed in LR. Full res available on Flickr.

1/250 f/7.1 ISO 400

DSC_5170 by TCR4x4, on Flickr​

1/250 f/6.3 ISO 640

DSC_5123 by TCR4x4, on Flickr​

1/250 f/6.3 ISO 250 Some nice bokeh!

DSC_5142 by TCR4x4, on Flickr

Last edited:
Sharp isn't it lol ;)

Glad your happy with it, as for the lens hood ive fixed mine in place (extended) by putting one of those help for heroes type rubber wristbands on the lens to stop the hood moving back - works a treat at £3 something off ebay

Sharp isn't it lol ;)

Glad your happy with it, as for the lens hood ive fixed mine in place (extended) by putting one of those help for heroes type rubber wristbands on the lens to stop the hood moving back - works a treat at £3 something off ebay

Certainly is!

Ah yes, I saw those on there.
Maybe I should "help a hero" and buy one next time I get harassed by a soldier. Good plan.

I'm getting a black band from ebay to keep mine in place, least it will be more subtle than my help4heroes one ;)

Still, whilst it's on there at least it's showing my support :)

Good luck with the lens, hope it's ok for your airfract photography. Oh, and when I opened mine I thought the exact same as you...how compact the lens was yet how rugged and heavy it is.

Good bit of kit for the money

Back