Victorian Fair

moomike

TPer Emeritus
Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I got the weekend off from my event stuff & decided at the last minute to head down to a Victorian fair in Cumbria.
Had a great day out & although there weren't as many people dressed up as I may have liked, I think I saw some real characters (including one of our newest members Gibbo :LOL:)

Here are a few of my processed shots - once again, I know they won't be to everyone's taste but I felt like making the images a bit more alternative looking.

Honest c&c welcome & appreciated as usual (y)

Street_performer_03.jpg

Street_performer_04.jpg

Cheers for looking (y)

I also really like these, the first especially. Its fantastic. I'm sure I've seen a few others use a similar type of processing here, but never known what it is. It really seems to bring the detail out.

I've been trying to get a similar processing look as well and can't get it. Come on Mike, spill the beans :p

:LOL: Arm thoroughly twisted up back here then :LOL:
It's a lot of messing around tbh - Firstly, I use loads of adjustment layers & masks to bring down the highlights (slightly) & deepen the blacks (mostly using curves, brightness/contrast & levels adjustments) - I then use the hue/saturation to desaturate slightly & then sharpen away (loads of sharpening so make sure you don't have loads of noise in your images - I actually prefer there to be some noise, makes the image a bit grittier)
I then create a new layer above all of the others, fill it with 50% grey & set the layer blend mode to "Overlay" - this acts as a dodge & burn layer that can be easily modified - just paint on the layer with black to dodge, white to burn & 50% grey to erase your changes/soften the effect - just vary the paintbrush's flow for more subtle effects.
IMHO, this processing technique relies a great deal upon just seeing what looks right for each image & not to following too many set rules - I do find that about the same level of saturation will tie images in well together though.

I tend to keep going back to my "levels" adjustment layer & upping the mid arrow if the image starts to get too dark & go to the "curves" if I need to make the highlights brighter or if I need to add more contrast without altering the highlights (I use light "S" curves with mine usually.)

Hope this helps & cheers for the comments guys (y)

This set of images are great moomlike, I really like the PP and the mood it gives. The expressions on 1 and 2 are also fantastic and bring the images to life.

Are there anymore to this set?

This set of images are great moomlike, I really like the PP and the mood it gives. The expressions on 1 and 2 are also fantastic and bring the images to life.

Are there anymore to this set?

I'll put up a few more when I get a min - cheers for the comment (y)

Excellent set mike, but I still cant get that pp working, so I wil leave it to you, you have got it down, quite literally, to a fine art, they look wonderful :clap:

Thank you LL :) Feel free to ask away if there's anything else I can do to help out with your processing (y)

Excellent photos Mike, and processing.
It looks like the guy in photo 3 is standing on someones fong diffuser ;)

Love the way the processing works on the 1st, and the shot. The rest I'm not so keen on.

Cheers Paul (y)
Think that he stands out a bit more than the others due to the lighter background & darker hat (the guy was a walking composition :LOL:) Think that as this technique brings out so much detail that uncluttered backgrounds are necessary to get the best results.

Really like the processing on these shots. It suits the subjects very well IMO :)

These Are really good.. I do like the processing you have applied.. looks right to me Well done

I'll add my compliments Mike for some fantastic shots. I like the processing.

Number 1 really stands out for me.

Shame about his glasses on number 2...they just cry out to be a little more 'period'.

Cheers Brains (y)
I hadn't considered the glasses at all - mad the things you miss when it's you behind the camera isn't it :LOL:

These Are really good.. I do like the processing you have applied.. looks right to me Well done

Thanks Chickadee :)

:clap:all been said already mate but ill say it again anyway...

very good well done (y)

dave (y)

These really are super imgo Mike ... :clap: ... love the processing, composition, lighting ... everything in fact ... (y)

:p

Like alot Mike the PP really works with these shots :clap::clap: number 2 is class(y)

Hi Mike,

Very nice processing indeed, and top pics too!

Sorry for the random bump, but was just looking again at this and noticed I had a shot of the second bloke, from a dickensian festival up here. So thought I would have a go at your processing style. I haven't got it yet :( but having fun trying:

GrassingtonMoomikestyle.jpg

Back