Sigma 120-300mm OS testing

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Something even better :)

1. Sigma 120-300mm at 600mm f5.6 (kenko 2x DG)
2. Canon 500mm at 700mm f5.6 (Canon 1.4x II)
3. Canon 800mm at 5.6

Center and corner crops

center%20crop%20600mm%20f5.6.jpg

center%20crop%20700mm%20f5.6.jpg

center%20crop%20800mm%205.6.jpg

corner%20crop%20600mm%20f5.6.jpg

corner%20crop%20700mm%20f5.6.jpg

corner%20crop%20800mm%205.6.jpg

Last edited:
I'll take the Canon please ;) What's it like at the edges?

Have a look at the full frame link above (lower right side). Not bad at all IMHO.
Very happy from the first few shots but have a lot more testing to do!

Well assuming that the scarf is actually in sharp focus (it looks close!) the Sigma looks terrible. As you would expect with all those telecons on it.

Well assuming that the scarf is actually in sharp focus (it looks close!) the Sigma looks terrible. As you would expect with all those telecons on it.

As shown on the full crops, the focus is on the nose and also on the 'paw' on the lower right side, which is not looking not bad at all to me.

Actually, considering the two teleconverters, the Sigma is surprisingly sharp, and much sharper than the Canon 200mm f2 when combined with the same 2 teleconverters (more photos to follow!)

Mate, that is a zoom lens with stacked teleconverters, compared at a longer focal length to a lens 5 times its price. That's not bad at all!

They look a lot better than the first set you put up of the teddy, with the extra extender.

But the subject is a bit artificial and you can't add sharpening and contrast like that to a normal, naturally-toned subject.

Would like to see something more real :)

AF with the 2x is slower but very accurate.

Will take images of different subjects tomorrow but it will only be with the 120-300 + 2x.
No more comparisons with other lenses for a while, too time consuming!

AF with the 2x is slower but very accurate.

Will take images of different subjects tomorrow but it will only be with the 120-300 + 2x.
No more comparisons with other lenses for a while, too time consuming!

Comparisons are the best way of seeing how good it is ;)

Thanks for this (y) i have been toying with the idea of one of these for a while i thought all the trouble in Japan would have delayed the launch a lot longer. I quite fancy the new canon Canon EF 200-400mm f/4 L IS USM with built in Ext 1.4x but the 3x price tag makes me think the Sigma might be a better choice.
Regards
Richard

Must admit, I am wondering about the new Sigma too. Would be a nice lens to use alongside Canon 400DO and 500/4. Would only be interested in it with a 1.4x so will keep my eye out for further reviews.

Ive been dreading seeing the first threads on this lens, now have severe "i want oneitis"

First AF servo sequence. Using a 7D, 6 frames taken in the same second.
Exif data should be intact

Back garden too small to use TC's so all shots are at 120mm

When it stops raining and I can go to a park I will try different focal lengths and teleconverters

IMG_9356.jpg

IMG_9357.jpg

IMG_9358.jpg

IMG_9359.jpg

IMG_9360.jpg

IMG_9361.jpg

That's looking good! The old lens wasn't great at AF tracking so maybe they've tweaked that too. New OS version has loads more glass in it (I hear that Sigma are being sued by Nikon over VR patent infrigements :eek: which is promising for users!).

I didn't realise this new lens was so cheap - £2k is a bargain by any measure. And if it holds up with extenders (at least with just one at a time ;)) it will surely be on permanent back-order.

Very Interesting ...If it turns out to be this good at all FL's then it will certainly be on my wanted list...It will compliment the 400 prime very well.
In the crops it looks like the Focus point is changing ...??

Was this in AI Servo ? On the 1D series CF 4 is the control CF for the AF system...Not too sure if this is the same on the 7D...If so, what setting did you have set ?

Last edited:

It might be moving a bit, I asked my dog to run towards me at a straight line but he did not obey :)
For reference it was with the centre point with point expansion enabled for the 4 adjacent points.
Need to try different settings on the 7D to see how it reacts (i.e change AI servo sensitivity, now it is at Medium, would like to see how Slow or Fast affects the accuracy)

If it means anything, my 100mm macro and 100-400mm cannot keep up and always miss some frames completely when I try this.

Last edited:
Very Interesting ...If it turns out to be this good at all FL's then it will certainly be on my wanted list...It will compliment the 400 prime very well.

Was this in AI Servo ? On the 1D series CF 4 is the control CF for the AF system...Not too sure if this is the same on the 7D...If so, what setting did you have set ?

Hi there micloi. I was just wondering if the Canon 1.4x II extender works with the new 120-300 OS? If so is there any chance of seeing some test images as I am very much interested in this lens.

Below some shots with the Canon 2x III and also a comparison between the Canon 800mm and an up-sized crop of the Sigma at 600mm (wooden pole).

The pole is 100% crop and the rest approximately 50% crops.

600mmcropupsizedto800mm.jpg

800mmcrop.jpg

FORUMIMG_9501.jpg

FORUMIMG_9632.jpg

FORUMIMG_9658.jpg

FORUMIMG_9794.jpg

Out of interest, how are you getting on with this lens now, does it still impress and are there any niggles that you're not too keen on?

I'm waiting for uk stock to arrive to test one prior to purchase for use in sports photography mainly. What's the AF like in less than bright sunshine?

Still very happy. Used it for shooting gannets and got some nice shots. Will post when back from holiday. Very impressed with low light AF, minimal hunting.

Back