D90 grip alternative? Let's have some views!

Name
Luke
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, been considering gripping the D90 for a while now but it's just the price that's put me off as I can't justify that much money for what i'd actually gain from buying one (very little at the moment!)

So ebay chucked this up when i searched for the MB-D80

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BATTERY-GRIP-..._Batteries&hash=item2a079474a7#ht_6094wt_1224

Look the same just without the name? Interested to hear peoples thoughts and if anyone has bought one...silly not to give it a go at the price surely!

I brought one from Linkdelight and I'm very pleased with it. Can't imagine the d90 now without the grip.

Only drawback with linkdelight was the lengthy shipping time from Hong Kong.

Mate recently brought one, from the supplier you've highlighted (although not the same package, just the grip and a remote) and he's more than happy and took less than a week to deliver.

So I'd say go for it. If you find you don't like having the grip on the camera, you can always sell it off at cost.

Last edited:
Thats the one i have been looking at. will be interested to see what it is like.

Keep us updated on delivery times etc.

Cheers

Mark

Just read the review, sounds promising even though i'm buying from a different place, and joker I will keep up to date, delivery time states 2-3 days, but i'm not expecting that to be honest

i hate to keep going on, but i ordered my grip for the d7000 from that shop on wednesday night, i got the email saying it had been dispatched at about 2 in the morning on thursday, then it arrived on friday morning. so hopefully you'll have a similar wait :)

i hate to keep going on, but i ordered my grip for the d7000 from that shop on wednesday night, i got the email saying it had been dispatched at about 2 in the morning on thursday, then it arrived on friday morning. so hopefully you'll have a similar wait :)

Ahh good to hear! Why did you say you hate to keep going on? lol

Just read the review, sounds promising even though i'm buying from a different place, and joker I will keep up to date, delivery time states 2-3 days, but i'm not expecting that to be honest

so are you buying from a different seller then? if so which one cause the original link you put up was the seller i was looking at.

so are you buying from a different seller then? if so which one cause the original link you put up was the seller i was looking at.

No sorry i'm buying from the seller stated in the opening post...slight confusion, apparently it's already been dispatched and I only ordered it yesterday, which was a Sunday! Would have thought it would take them all of tomorrow just to process the order

Ok cheers.

I did try to strike a deal with them as I don't need the remote but they wouldn't play ball.

I have a similar one, it has buttons and a display on the rear for self timer, delay modes and others...

The rear buttons are useless, I sent the first one back as it didn't work properly. The second one didn't either, but I couldn't be bothered to return this one. I jus use it as a normal grip now.

The shutter button and tog wheels all work perfectly although they do feel of a lesser quality to the camera controls.

I use it all the time and wouldn't be without it, one day if I can afford it I may upgrade to a nikon version.

Personally I wouldn't be happy unless it was Nikon.

I would always be thinking "this button is soft, would the Nikon one be?"

They aren't expensive second hand and if it has been treated well, then go for it.

But opinions are like ********s, everyone has got one.

Personally I wouldn't be happy unless it was Nikon.

I would always be thinking "this button is soft, would the Nikon one be?"

They aren't expensive second hand and if it has been treated well, then go for it.

But opinions are like ********s, everyone has got one.

See this is only my opinion but you've got to ask yourself, are you really willing to part with an extra 85 quid just cos the button feels a little "soft" :/

Dude, that is probably the most important part of the grip.

Right, well quick review...turned up today, so not bad delivery considering I ordered it Sunday evening on a bank holiday weekend :)

Feels quite light, but i'm not sure what the nikon ones feel like so would be interesting if i get the chance to compare one, all functions seem to work, all I need to do now is get used to it!

To be honest it probably doesn't feel QUITE as well built as the nikon, and I had unlimited funds then I would buy the nikon, but its looks the same and does the same job, so for the money I can't complain, would recommend this product and supplier so far!

Cool cheers for that is it secure delivery cause I'm having a few issues at the min with eBay stuff not turning up

I get very bored with all this grip stuff. Bought a grip (genuine Nikon too) when I upgraded from a 70 to an 80 . . . and I was taking pics for mags at the time. More trouble than it was worth . . . heavy, ungainly, added nothing to the picture or the experience . . . I think the grip is knocking about in a cupboard some where, I did not sell it when I sold the camera . . . personal opinion, you understand ;)

CJS

Each to their own CJS...and if I find it's more of a nuisance than a gain then I will get rid of it :)

I got a link Delight one after people recommended them on here and they were spot on with their recomendation.

The grip I got is excellent quality and makes the D90 much better to use. I got an extra battery later (not Nikon) and together with grip it makes battery like excellent

My grip was like THIS

Dude, that is probably the most important part of the grip.

Yes and the Meike one I have is a much better 2 stage feel to it than the Nikon one!!!! (I have the Nikon on the S5 pro as it came with it, the Nikon one is not worth the extra.

Yes and the Meike one I have is a much better 2 stage feel to it than the Nikon one!!!! (I have the Nikon on the S5 pro as it came with it, the Nikon one is not worth the extra.

I must say I think it's excellent on this copy grip

I have the Meike one, too. It looks almost identical to the Nikon version, in terms of the shape, the texture of the grip pattern and even the area where the manufacturers lable goes (on the base plate). In fact, I had to wonder to myself whether or not these were moulded on the same production line as the genuine Nikon ones :shrug:.

Either way, for what it cost, I was very happy with it and can see absolutley no reason to ever think about changing it for the 'real' one :|.

For anyone who's interested, here's a post that I made about it in the 'D90 Owners Thread' ..Link ... :).

I have the official Nikon grip however it feels light and the buttons feel cheap. The battery compartment lock is really flimsy and not what I expected.

In hindsight I probably would've been better off buying the 3rd party offering at a third of the price. Don't get me wrong the Nikon grip works fine but the build quality doesn't justify the price tag.

Back