Silverstone FIA GT with 200mm

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
This weekend was/is the first race meet on the new 'Winged' GP Circuit so it seemed like a good opportunity to check things out.

Firstly, if you hated Silverstone before you will really hate it now, the new infield section has broken the circuit up (to give you an idea of how awkward it is to get around, to get from the stand just in front of the Wing, to the paddock just behind the Wing took me 20 minutes on a bus!), the old Pit Straight is basically a ghost town and there is virtually no new spectator banking in place yet, so don't expect any nice new clear sight lines (and we've lost the nice spot at Club obviously)

Anyhow, I thought it would be fun to see what was possible with 200mm, as I get a little bored with people saying you need 400mm or whatever, probably a bit marmite but here goes...

DSC0860a-L.jpg

DSC0459a-L.jpg

DSC0550a-L.jpg

DSC0361a-L.jpg

DSC0251a-L.jpg

DSC0185a-L.jpg

Thanks for looking, a few more here: http://chrisharrison.smugmug.com/Motorsport/FIAGT

this is a nice set of shots, just proves that you dont need 400mm to shoot motorsport :)
nicely done, really like 3 and 5 :)

Really nicely done, I think that #3 stands out the most to me. Just out of interest, were you using a 70-200 or a 200mm prime?

Really nicely done, I think that #3 stands out the most to me. Just out of interest, were you using a 70-200 or a 200mm prime?

Nikon 70-200 VR. #3 was from a cracking spot, a completely clear sight line of the main pit straight at ground level...I bet it will be gone when the Bernie Circus arrives. Nearly as happy with that as the spot I found at the F1 GP two years ago.

Love the first 3 and especially 2#.
Silverstone is my local and have seen the fencing going up since the new pit has been built and its a shame that some of the spots that were very good have now gone.

Thats impressive... good work there!

Remembering of course that Gary on here uses a 70-200 and nothing else for quite some time... its definitely possible, you just need to think out the box... which you've done well!

Thats impressive... good work there!

Remembering of course that Gary on here uses a 70-200 and nothing else for quite some time... its definitely possible, you just need to think out the box... which you've done well!

Doesn't he have media accreditation usually?

indeed he does! At Silverstone that only puts you 1m closer... with another 800m to go before you get to the 300m wide track though :D

I didn't see many media togs, I'm guessing they found some areas unreachable by spectators (possibly infield) as they had seperate buses to take them around. I did an entire outfield lap and there are only two places with a clear view over a fence now (Luffield and a small space at Vale), which even for a non photographing general access spectator looked pretty poor for those with F1 tickets.

Back