First Wedding

Edit My Images
No
After a tonne of learning and taking inspiration from a lot of excellent stuff on here I took one on myself. It was my first wedding as 'the' photographer and was a hell of an experience but I thouroughly enjoyed it and will be back for more!

Be kind :D

Mark

amandadavid27.jpg

amandadavid29.jpg

amandadavid74.jpg

amandadavid201.jpg

amandadavid105.jpg

amandadavid231.jpg

I was enjoying this set 'till the last one. I think the focus is on the wrong bit, weddings are about people aren't they?. The shots here are brilliant though, nice one.

Thanks for commenting, last one is maybe a wee bit of a marmite pic, it was just something i threw in to break up the formals.

Wow these are very nice for your first in the hot seat. I've done five weddings so far so nowhere near as many as some of the folks here, but I love the way you've captured little detail items eg the shoes. To me weddings are all about the memories that mean the most to the bride and groom and, when viewed in future times, remind them of that special day.

Thanks for the feedback. They were well recieved by the couple. I did have quite a few 'not so good' pics but Ive gained lots of experience and have some shots I now know I can def nail. Cant wait for the next one! It certainly beats my stuck at the desk day job thats for sure.

I am loving the images well done. In the shoe and flower pics were you using some sort of background? I love our clean and uncluttered these two images are.

I am loving the images well done. In the shoe and flower pics were you using some sort of background? I love our clean and uncluttered these two images are.

Nope, white sheet on a table placed next to an window. Upped the ISO so I knew the BG would blow out and spot metered for the front of the shoes etc. If memeory sevres correct I also used my flash gun in some way. Ill try and get the settings on later.

Really nice set , my only grudge would be to make the black and white images a bit punchier ie using levels .Good stuff though ;)

Really nice set , my only grudge would be to make the black and white images a bit punchier ie using levels .Good stuff though ;)

Thought the same as the white dress looks pretty grey. Up the contrast a little

Thanks for the advice guys. Ill need to keep a eye on those whites, Ive noticed a few more in the set like that.

Mark - The settings I used for the blown BG - f2.8, 1/40s, 50mm, ISO 400, +0.7 and I used bounce flash.

Hey i love the detail shots, i agree with above posts about the b&w needing more punch and i think the last shot is nice, great idea but looks to me like she is a tad uncomfortable and just needs her to take a big breath and relax before. All in my opinion of course feel free to ignore :) number 1 for me :)

Nice first set.

I'd add more contrast and work on bringing the bride and groom out a bit

Old fashioned dodge and burn or maybe even sharpen them a little

The set items are lovely

I think the shoe and rings shots work but the wide shots in the church do nothing for me. They seem very lacking in a focal point and empty.

These are generally fine. Good work on the details shots.

The scene setting shots are ok - especially the one from high up.

The bridesmaid with the bouquet is good but a tighter crop might work even better.

A true test of your wedding photography is on the posed shots of the bride and groom. There's nothing here that shows your true skills to set up the shots and work with your clients. Maybe post up some more pictures of the couple so we can help you improve further.......?

Well that went down well. Perhaps I should have just said.....

"great set"

:coat:

Brilliant set. I like the last one too. Well done

OK

The 2 set pieces (flowers, shoes) look like studio shots, and are out of context
The 2 church B&W conversions look really flat and lifeless to me

That leaves the bridesmaid with the flowers. This is a nice idea, but facial expression is everything, and for me, the expression on the bridesmaid doesn't work

Couple of questions...
How many shots did you take? how many made the final "good pile"?

It maybe that you just selected the wrong group of shots to critique, can you post some you took which include: the story of the day, feelings, expression & emotion

Last edited:
OK

The 2 set pieces (flowers, shoes) look like studio shots, and are out of context
The 2 church B&W conversions look really flat and lifeless to me

That leaves the bridesmaid with the flowers. This is a nice idea, but facial expression is everything, and for me, the expression on the bridesmaid doesn't work

Couple of questions...
How many shots did you take? how many made the final "good pile"?

It maybe that you just selected the wrong group of shots to critique, can you post some you took which include: the story of the day, feelings, expression & emotion

I think Richard and I are in agreement here. :eek:

The key phrase, I guess, is: "They were well recieved by the couple." So: job done. But I have to agree with the comments about the BW conversions - they look lifeless to me and in need of a good tweak.

A true test of your wedding photography is on the posed shots of the bride and groom.

This has been my toughest test...and i'm still not even close!...does it come with time? I trawl websites...magazines etc for ideas but they never seem to come to fruition.

I have to agree about the lack of punch on BW...maybe some curves? Also like the last one but the flowers are central and the bridesmaid isnt which doesnt lead my eye throught he pic quite so well...picky i know.

This has been my toughest test...and i'm still not even close!...does it come with time? I trawl websites...magazines etc for ideas but they never seem to come to fruition.

I have to agree about the lack of punch on BW...maybe some curves? Also like the last one but the flowers are central and the bridesmaid isnt which doesnt lead my eye throught he pic quite so well...picky i know.

Yes, it does come. But you have to work at it. Tell them what you want to achieve and it makes it easier.

I can often be heard saying "right that's a nice boring pose for grandma, now lets sex it up". A few giggles etc but then the b&g realise I'm serious about getting some proper, romantic, loving, amorous, intimate pictures. Basically - SEXY!

Get her to grab him, pull her towards him, hand on hips. Get him to push her back, moving in for the kiss. Play around with these poses and you'll find the ones you like. Again I can be heard saying "actually that looks crap, let's try……" Again it shows the b&g that you care enough to admit that the pose isn't quite what you want and that you'll rework it to get it perfect. All the time being conscious of the where/how the dress is lying, having good lighting and no distracting elements.

The good news is it comes with experience. It comes quicker if a) you care b) you look at other's work c) you practice d) you involve the couple from the outset.

HTH

Just saw this thread getting bumped after two months! Im sitting in the office just now and cant post more. Thanks for the critique! Ive done another two since and I feel my pics have improved since the first. The first wedding felt a bit awkward at times as the bride wasnt particularly interested in getting pics done, she was extremely self concious about a number of things and she insisted on dragging out a blue rug from indoors so her dress wouldnt get wet, IMO those pics ended up utterly atrocious but I did warn her at the time. Ill try and get a few of those on later for a giggle. I ended up aith about 270 after the cull. Great experience though!

(the night ended with the two brothers of the bride fist fighting but that is another story...)

ryanyboy said:
Yes, it does come. But you have to work at it. Tell them what you want to achieve and it makes it easier.

I can often be heard saying "right that's a nice boring pose for grandma, now lets sex it up". A few giggles etc but then the b&g realise I'm serious about getting some proper, romantic, loving, amorous, intimate pictures. Basically - SEXY!

Get her to grab him, pull her towards him, hand on hips. Get him to push her back, moving in for the kiss. Play around with these poses and you'll find the ones you like. Again I can be heard saying "actually that looks crap, let's try……" Again it shows the b&g that you care enough to admit that the pose isn't quite what you want and that you'll rework it to get it perfect. All the time being conscious of the where/how the dress is lying, having good lighting and no distracting elements.

The good news is it comes with experience. It comes quicker if a) you care b) you look at other's work c) you practice d) you involve the couple from the outset.

HTH

Like your style ryanyboy... I think you have to be honest about your images.

Back