Sigma 10-20mm Ultra Wide Angle Test Shots

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
Just a few quick samples from this lens today. First time out doing photography in about 6 weeks too. Felt real nice.

Here we go.

CRW_6243-01.jpg

CRW_6264-01.jpg

Slightly bent lighthouse there

CRW_6233-01.jpg

Notice the lighthouse there is straight. I think thats because I wasn't toying with the extreme close up wide angle effect there.

CRW_6236-01.jpg

Very soft on the edges there. Not quite sure why that occured.

CRW_6237-01.jpg

CRW_6238-01.jpg

Wow! Nice stuff there Pete. I want that lens now! The soft edges could be DOF?
Glad you are back out of the house and having fun again. :)

Loving those polarised shots. Stunning to look at :)

Dave said:
Wow! Nice stuff there Pete. I want that lens now! The soft edges could be DOF?
Glad you are back out of the house and having fun again. :)

Perhaps yer. They just seem softer than DOF. Not as nice bokeh. I would definetly recommend this lens to you for some great shots in Toronto. Its IR compatible too, but the filter is £75 from Ebay and £170 from a UK supplier.

Marcel said:
Loving those polarised shots. Stunning to look at :)

Thanks :) You wouldn't believe that they were taken at 12pm. Technically the worst time to take photos and yet, lovely deep blue skies.

really nice Pete, shows how naff the 18mm end of the kit lens really is!

Nice lens Pete, I can't see much to grumble about there at all. :thumb:

I think those shots are excellent considering that lens is virtually a full frame fish eye at the short end. I had a similar Pentax lens once and as long as I didn't get too close, I got good uprights and little distortion.

Your soft edges seem more DOF related to me. :)

EosD said:
really nice Pete, shows how naff the 18mm end of the kit lens really is!

CT said:
Nice lens Pete, I can't see much to grumble about there at all. :thumb:

I think those shots are excellent considering that lens is virtually a full frame fish eye at the short end. I had a similar Pentax lens once and as long as I didn't get too close, I got good uprights and little distortion.

Your soft edges seem more DOF related to me. :)

Getting close to objects and kneeling down does create interesting effects. For simple landscapes it produces nice shots without distortion. Its kinda fun as you can play with the wide angle effect when you want to, and when you don't its a great lens.

Great shots Pete.
The shot with the soft edges will be down to DoF, this will have been exagerated by the focus point being close to the camera.

Would like to try that lens on my camera, see what sort of effect can be achieved ;), its unfortunate that it isn't compatible.

Really like the effect it has on the skies - gives a great perspective :)

Thats the one. I got it for £330 from T4 Cameras. Its a UK store so I qualify for Sigma's lovely warrenty thing. Also, I entered the following shot in a local photo comp and it won :D 1st place, beating 72 other entries stretching over a period of 70 years. Pretty cool for my first photo shoot in 6 weeks with a new lens :D It'll be in a 2006 calendar to save that view from being replaced by a supermarket along with a sunset shot of mine.

Nice one. Can I ask what polariser you use? My Jessops own-brand one doesn't seem to darken the sky as much as that. But it could just be my technique.

Either way that 10-20mm takes 77mm filters, doesn't it? So I'd need to buy a new CPF regardless.

fingerz said:
Nice one. Can I ask what polariser you use? My Jessops own-brand one doesn't seem to darken the sky as much as that. But it could just be my technique.

Either way that 10-20mm takes 77mm filters, doesn't it? So I'd need to buy a new CPF regardless.

Hoya Circular Polariser, 77mm thread. Cost about £56 from Jessops.

Oh, one more question (sorry). Is your camera full-frame or are those shots subject to the 1.6x crop? I'd be using it on a 300D so if those shots are full-frame then I doubt I'd be able to get such nice effects, in which case it might not be worth me parting with £370-odd quid (inc CPF).

\o/ win!

Now I just have to convince myself that I need it. Once you start thinking about it your brain does that thing where it starts suggesting things like "the 17-40 L wouldn't be that much more, you know."

fingerz said:
\o/ win!

Now I just have to convince myself that I need it. Once you start thinking about it your brain does that thing where it starts suggesting things like "the 17-40 L wouldn't be that much more, you know."
More money, not as wide :)

Isn't that their EX stuff?

But is it as good as L glass?

SammyC said:
Isn't that their EX stuff?

But is it as good as L glass?
I've been told their EX stuff is meant to be their equivilant of L glass. Some reviews I've read of this lens show it to be as sharp as the 17-40L.

Back