ezybox or similar

Edit My Images
No
Anyone using a Lastolite Ezybox or similarly compact and collapsible softbox?
I'm looking for something ultra-portable for my SB800.

I can't seem to find a stockist of the ezybox over here in Belgium so It'd have to be ordered somewhere anyway.

cheers, Rob.

Try this Rob,

Ebay.de

or here

Photomart

I've never used either I just remember seeing them mentioned on the strobist Flickr group.

foldupable softyboxus in the house.

I went for the ezybox as I needed one quicker than foreseen, ...like a job tonight :|
Luckily, one of our main suppliers had them in stock.
Another nice option I saw there was a Chimera proII XS with speedring. A bit bigger but less portable.

This all rolls up into the typical blue Lastolite bag, handy for transport on the motorbike.

Links Rob, this thread is no use without links! ;)

Links Rob, this thread is no use without links! ;)

You're right.
The best I can find as a reference link is

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/13256-REG/Chimera_1710_Mini_Softbox_Silver_XX_Small.html

I think the dealer cludged something together with this 'box + hotshoe mount from Chimera.
It worked out a dearer solution than the Ezybox but does have a larger surface area. They'd had a load of sets made up a few months ago and they literally flew off the shelf.

This is the Ezybox
http://www.lastolite.com/ezybox-hotshoe.php

I've used it now and have a couple of comments for anyone thinking of purchasing it.
You have to remove the diffuse panel before folding it up and stuffing it in the bag. No biggie, as it's all Velcro'd in. Still, I was hoping it'd stay in place for the folding.
2nd point. The mount ring + flash bracket need to separated to fit in the bag. A thumbscrew separates them, again, no biggie but I think a mod' will come that allows me to just fold it up and slid in the bag.
Overall construction is as expected from a Lasolite product, very robust.

Cheers Rob,

how did you find it on the shoot? Did it sap much power from the flash?(Which one were you using?)

Cheers Rob,

how did you find it on the shoot? Did it sap much power from the flash?(Which one were you using?)

I was just using it with an SB800 for a bit of soft fill, so low powered, manually and hard-wired. I've the SC-17 Nikon cable too, but not tried that yet.
Ideally I should source an RF set to trigger it, unless I can figure a way of hooking up the RF studio flash trigger set.
I could even lash it up to one of the old Metz units I have.

Lastolite say the Ezybox only reduces the output by half a stop so. If I get time at the weekend I'll try some proper portrait stuff to see what it'll do.

Let me know how you get on. I'm using shot through umbrellas at the minute but the light isn't as even as a softbox so I'm thinking of egtting one or two of those.

RF-wise. The Ebay triggers are alright, you get what you pay for like anything in life. Mine were fine until I changed the battery in the transmitter and now it's getting a bit tempremental. Might speak to Kerso to see how much pocket wizards or Skyports are from the states.

Here's a quick test I did yesterday:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34489

Not day-to day portrait stuff but I'm happy how it works.
Ideally You'd need a couple of these, running wireless. 2 x SB800's maybe or even a simple cheapo slave unit running on one of them.
This was linked to the D2X with the Nikon cable, so it was running semi-auto from the camera's control.
Mostly that was ok, but of course the flash output isn't going to be constant then. Full manual would be better if you want more controlled conditions. Saying that, If I was operating the camera properly, (rather then trying to hold it in one hand to take my pic) there would be more control, plus the ease of the Nikon controlled flash setup.
I did boost the flash a bit though to make up for the diffusing screen.

All in all, a good purchase I think. I'll get another or maybe one of those ebay ones to see the difference in construction.

I think you'll certainly be able to do more with this setup than the brollies.

Back