Taking film through airports

Name
Josh
Edit My Images
No
I'm going to Finland, via Amsterdam, at the end of the week. I'm taking my Mamiya RZ and OM10, and a big bag of film. From a google search I've had pretty varied answers as to whether the xray machines that luggage goes through will damage the film or not. Some sites say that cargo luggage goes through less xrays and that the film will be fine in there, whereas others say to take the film separate and ask for it not to be xrayed. Does anyone on here know what's my best option?!

Thanks.

I travelled a lot with film and never had any issues, just take your film as hand baggage and don't check it in. Hold baggage receives much higher X-ray doses. Some people recommend asking for a hand search but I've never been successful with this in the UK.

There have been a few threads about this, and you can use the search option if you want to read them. The consensus seems to be that there's nothing to worry about, and that most airports won't do separate hand searches anyway.

Absolutely do not put it in check in luggage - that's the only commonly agreed on thing when it comes to this. I'd say goodbye to your film if you put it there.

I used to put half of my unexposed film in the hold and half hand luggage, returning, it all stayed with me.

As everyone else has said, DON'T put it in the cargo hold - Carry it on the plane and you'll be fine.
I never had a problem in all the years I carried film on aircraft.

The higher the ISO the more chance you have of a problem, so as long as it's not all ISO3200 stock and you have multiple x-rays done (lots of connecting flights) don't worry.

Wow - I must be old. Years ago when all I had was film you used to be able to buy special film bags purposely for airport xray machines.

They may, or may not, have been lead lined which enabled you to put them into general luggage without a problem. Never did though - always took them on as hand luggage though. In those days, pre 9/11 security wasn't as great and the security staff often gave the bag a cursory glance when asked.

Extremely unlikely now you'd get through without opening it I would have thought(y)

cyclamens said:
Wow - I must be old. Years ago when all I had was film you used to be able to buy special film bags purposely for airport xray machines.

They may, or may not, have been lead lined which enabled you to put them into general luggage without a problem. Never did though - always took them on as hand luggage though. In those days, pre 9/11 security wasn't as great and the security staff often gave the bag a cursory glance when asked.

Extremely unlikely now you'd get through without opening it I would have thought(y)
I think nowadays you might shoot your own foot with those bags, as they'd probably just crank up the intensity of the machine until they can see inside that lead lined compartment.

Not sure why people are so afraid of the airport scan. I'm sure the film collects quite a bit of radiation at several hours above 10km altitude.

Last edited:
I thin nowadays you mitt shoot your own foot with those bags, as they'd probably just crank up the intensity of he machine until they can see inside that lead lined compartment.

Not sure why people are so afraid of the airport scan. I'm sure the film collects quite a bit of radiation at several hours above 10km altitude.

It's one of those urban myths, maybe in the 1970's if you went to Russia or China then yes there was a problem. I've never heard of or met one person in all my career who has had a problem.

It's one of those urban myths, maybe in the 1970's if you went to Russia or China then yes there was a problem. I've never heard of or met one person in all my career who has had a problem.

And in the late 70's in some of the dodgier african republics where they had the (now worn out and badly maintained) ex-russian kit...

but yes, by and large, its not a problem, stick it in your carry-on kit and just forget about it.

Do you think we could actually have a sticky thread on taking film through airport security? It seems a commonly asked question which has a fairly simple set of answers and would be useful if it was readily available to be seen.

Problem is, people never read sticky notices, neither do they use the forum search button. We've already got half a screen full of sticky notices at the moment, there's barely any room for normal threads as it is!

I can't remember exactly but some boffins in a laboratory did tests with various film brands, ISO's and number of passes. If its not high ISO marked then it should last a good 10 or so blasts (although I doubt you would be making that many anyway - transfers usually dont have to go through security again)

Just don't stick them in hold luggage. Higher X-ray dosage and the possibility of them being taken -without- argument.

I wouldn't put exposed film, or anything else that really matters to me, in checked baggage anyway. Airport theft/loss of baggage is always a risk.

Back