Flying with camera gear -tips please

Name
Caroline Shipsey
Edit My Images
No
I've not flown before but I'm going on a photography workshop that starts in Inverness and I live in Somerset 600 miles way so I'm considering flying with EasyJet.

I need to take a tripod,laptop, plus my camera gear, and clothes including walking boots and wet/cold weather for 5 days. I haven't a clue about transporting this lot - haven't weighed anything yet either. All advice much appreciated:)

Caroline

Hi Caroline...

According to the link above, you can have 1 hand luggage bag as standard, unlimited weight (within reason) as part of your normal travel.
Then as an extra pay to have 1 bag in the hold of the aircraft, max 20kg.

If this was me travelling i would put my tripod into my suitcase and pack clothes etc around it with all my cold/wet gear etc.. Carry a hand luggage bag capable of holding camera,lenses,batteries,filters,laptop etc... any small items (non breakable) required for photography in main case... maybe wear my walking boots as these will take up room in case...

hope this helps...

(y)

I've flown with easyjet and camera gear a few times now.
The weight of carry on baggage is unlimited with easyjet so long as it fits the dimensions and you can lift it into overhead lockers.
I take a lowepro minitrekker with camera, two/three lenses and all my filters, batteries, and can fit a small laptop in there as well.

Tripod goes in checked baggage with chargers etc.
You're allowed a 20kg bag for the hold although you pay for it ;)

You could do. I took out worldwide travel insurance through holiday extras but if you dont travel much then you dont need that.

...and don't forget to thoroughly check your carry on for all those forbidden items which we routinely carry in our kit!

Thanks to you all for the info. I'm re-assured now that it will be OK, had visions of being stopped for having the tripod especially! Roll on October:)
Mark hope to see you on the Looney Meet:)
Caroline

Hi Caroline, just thought you should check the loony meet thread as your name is not down nor Marks for that matter. Assuming you are going I'll see you there.(y)

Hi Caroline, just thought you should check the loony meet thread as your name is not down nor Marks for that matter. Assuming you are going I'll see you there.(y)

What a dummy, at my age if I think it, it is :LOL:

I'm going to Assynt with Colin Prior http://www.colinprior.co.uk/experiences/trips/assynt/
I would have liked to do the same trip that DuncanDisorderly did in May to Knoydart, but I much prefer the colours of October for photography, and hopefully there won't be too many midges!

I'm torn about how to travel up - drive car, drive campervan, train or fly.
The drive campervan option is appealing because I can make more of the whole trip, but it would be slower and quite expensive on fuel, but no B&B costs. The main problem is finding somewhere convenient and safe to park it while I'm on the trip.
Flying is definitely the most time and cost effective so really that should be my choice, especially now I've got some re-assurance here:)

Caroline

Caroline

I travel EasyJet quite a bit (infact my next flight will be in two weeks time).

In my experience I carry everything I need as hand luggage. I find although there are rules about what you can and cannot carry-on, not all airports do the same.

I have a Pelicase which takes 99% of my gear. What I cannot get in, I put into coat pockets. You are allowed one case up to a certain size (My pelicase is actually smaller than allowed) Technically you are not allowed any other bag, that includes the duty free you have just bought and at one european airport ladies were told that handbags were not accepted with another bag, they had to be put inside the ONE bag allowed.. But as said before, the good thing is that there is no weight limit.... Be aware, they will stop people that obviously have a bag that is bursting at the seams..

Another plus is that you are allowed a coat and it doesn't matter what you have in your pockets... So fill them!

You may or may not get away with carrying a tripod. For years, I used to carry a monopole, until I flew out of Frankfurt. Although Adolf said I could carry it on this occasion, next time he would not allow me to carry it! Could never understand why it was okay to take it into Frankfurt, but not OUT!

As for check-in luggage, Easyjet have now changed there booking-in procedure. You now queue up with every other EasyJet traveller, the people that are going to... Spain, Italy, France, Sweden infact anywhere.. One big long queue. So you could be queing behind someone that has a later flight than you. If you need to book in luggage, get there early.

What ever, enjoy your trip.

BTW, Easyjet is far better than the Irish airline..

Thanks for the info:)

I've taken the plunge and booked the flight so all I've got to do now is work out what to take!
Are you saying that you don't take a tripod or monopole now? Your pics are stunning btw:)

Caroline
Caroline

I travel EasyJet quite a bit (infact my next flight will be in two weeks time).

In my experience I carry everything I need as hand luggage. I find although there are rules about what you can and cannot carry-on, not all airports do the same.

I have a Pelicase which takes 99% of my gear. What I cannot get in, I put into coat pockets. You are allowed one case up to a certain size (My pelicase is actually smaller than allowed) Technically you are not allowed any other bag, that includes the duty free you have just bought and at one european airport ladies were told that handbags were not accepted with another bag, they had to be put inside the ONE bag allowed.. But as said before, the good thing is that there is no weight limit.... Be aware, they will stop people that obviously have a bag that is bursting at the seams..

Another plus is that you are allowed a coat and it doesn't matter what you have in your pockets... So fill them!

You may or may not get away with carrying a tripod. For years, I used to carry a monopole, until I flew out of Frankfurt. Although Adolf said I could carry it on this occasion, next time he would not allow me to carry it! Could never understand why it was okay to take it into Frankfurt, but not OUT!

As for check-in luggage, Easyjet have now changed there booking-in procedure. You now queue up with every other EasyJet traveller, the people that are going to... Spain, Italy, France, Sweden infact anywhere.. One big long queue. So you could be queing behind someone that has a later flight than you. If you need to book in luggage, get there early.

What ever, enjoy your trip.

BTW, Easyjet is far better than the Irish airline..

Thanks for the info:)

I've taken the plunge and booked the flight so all I've got to do now is work out what to take!
Are you saying that you don't take a tripod or monopole now? Your pics are stunning btw:)

Caroline

Depends where I fly to? I have invested in a compact monopole that fits INSIDE my pelicase. I don't normally travel with a tripod.

If you are taking a rucksack type bag, strap the tripod to the outside of the bag. I have seen that accepted before. If you are only travelling to scotland, you shouldn't have a problem with hand luggage.. fingers crossed!

Remember, if you are going to Scotland in October, you will need a BIG coat.. FILL the pockets with all you odd bits. I sometimes will put lenses or even flashguns in my pockets to make space in my bag...

Airlines can be random....my friend couldn't take her violin in hand-luggage and yet on a different flight, the same airline allowed her to?!

I did the wedding photos for my sister on Tresco and wasn't allowed at all to take any of my camera stuff in hand luggage on the helicopter :eek:

I would have liked to do the same trip that DuncanDisorderly did in May to Knoydart, but I much prefer the colours of October for photography, and hopefully there won't be too many midges!
Afternoon Caroline!
You will need a tripod. A monopod would be a handy way of reducing weight on a long daytime trek, but will not be adequate for photographing the Blue Hour. I'd take both :)

We've talked around this subject - but I forgot to suggest taking the head off your tripod before checking it will fit into your suitcase - presume you already thought of that one. :)

Hi Duncan :)

The more I think about it I think I will chop down a few of saplings and tie them together a la tripod fashion. If I take a cushion from the B&B I should be able to rest this in the area at the tops of the sticks, and the camera can rest nicely on this.

The advantage of this method is that I can use the sticks to help me climb and walk, lie down and have a short nap on the cushion and if all else fails set fire to the sticks to alert the search party when I wake up. What do you think?

Caroline

I always travel with Easyjet when working in Spain / Portugal.

I use a Pelicase with a 400 2.8, two 1D bodies and a 70-200 2.8. Easyjet dont weigh hand luggage so they are perfect.

I then check a suitcase in for the rest of my clothing etc.

Hi Caroline...

According to the link above, you can have 1 hand luggage bag as standard, unlimited weight (within reason) as part of your normal travel.
(y)

This has not been my experience with EasyJet. I have had to remove items from my carry on luggage as it was more than 10KG.

I ended up having to put the flash gun and some lenses in my jacket pocket :LOL:

I fly to Spain every three weeks with my kit, and always with Easyjet and have NEVER been asked about the weight of my Pelicase.

However, with Ryanair, Jet2, Monarch, I have always been asked about the weight.

Easyjet state that "as long as you can place the hand luggage in the overhead locker on your own", there is no weight restriction. They publicly state this.

Last edited:
I took my tripod in hand luggage with first choice to cuba, and my camera gear also, they rarly weigh hand luggage :)

Hi Newbie here.

Is it OK to keep my body, Nikon D600 with a lens on my person or does it have to go in the hand luggage?

Cheers.

Glyn

Holy thread revival Batman! :eek:

@Glyn Melling depends if your airline allows one bag only or will allow an additional personal item.

Its EasyJet.

Do you know If they are OK with a coat with pockets in for lens etc?

Cheers everyone.

I use a suitably sized camera bag for carrying on and I wear a photographers jacket with the pockets stuffed with everything that would n't fit in the bag. This is particularly useful when flying with an airline that has 5kg limit on carry on luggage. I haven't flown Easyjet for a while so do not know their current policy.

Last time I flew Easyjet I had a fishing coat on complete with poachers pocket and it weighed over 6 kilos by the time I had stuffed it full of clothes towels chocolate etc. Only problem was I was so hot and exhausted carrying it.

Back