Cornish sea sunset EDIT: 2 x additional mono long exposures too

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
This was taken on the last day of my holiday in Cornwall a few weeks ago, god how I miss sitting on the quiet beach at sunset listening to the waves crash on the beach.

'the voice of the sea calls to the soul'

Rocky sunset by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

EDIT:
Have been playing around with anoth long exposure i took with the Haida 10stop. This was rescued from a mistaken ISO2000 setting but am happy with how its turned out

Bedruthan Steps Beach (2) by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

Rocks & water by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

Last edited:
very nice but I have to say is not very sharp especially clouds but that's my point of view.

is that Newquay area?

I'm just in St Ives :wave:

Beautiful image Matt, love the slight motion from clouds, and the perspective and composition is very good too IMO.

Love Cornwall wish I went back there this year!

I realy like it, perfect crop imo.

Is this using an ND filter?

Yeah I used an 3 stop ND filter and an ND grad to level out the sky which gave me a 50second exposure at f25. In hind sight I would have probabaly dropped that down to around f16 and had a longer exposure to get a bit more movement in the clouds and to overcome any diffraction that might have been present but am happy with the final image.

Thanks for your feedback people (y)

I'm gonna have to get myself some ND filters, you've pulled off both of those shots superbly! Love the mono image too, great composition and a perfect exposure.

Really good - no1 is best for me. Any recommendations on a make of ND grad ?

Very nice set of shots. Could you clone out the more or less vertical white line in the top-middle of the second shot? I found that a bit distracting.

Any thoughts on whether you would recommend the Haida? Seems a bargain price.

Yeah I used an 3 stop ND filter and an ND grad to level out the sky which gave me a 50second exposure at f25. In hind sight I would have probabaly dropped that down to around f16 and had a longer exposure to get a bit more movement in the clouds and to overcome any diffraction that might have been present but am happy with the final image.

Thanks for your feedback people (y)

I assume that's a typo as f16 will let in more light per period of time than f25. :shrug: Therefore your shutter time would decrease for the same exposure.

lol, yeah defo a typo, just read back what I wrote and it made no sense. Oops!

Good good.... better to check then let someone go do it and then have them wonder why things didn't work. Not saying the case with yourself but you'd be surprised the number of people who assume f2 = small hole, f22 = big hole!

I really like the first one - esp the movement of the clouds.

Good good.... better to check then let someone go do it and then have them wonder why things didn't work. Not saying the case with yourself but you'd be surprised the number of people who assume f2 = small hole, f22 = big hole!

I really like the first one - esp the movement of the clouds.

defo agree, i had my f numbers round the wrong way and confused myself by looking at several other images id taken on the day of the same shot all at different fstops.

What I actually meant was, I was going to pop on my 10stop and drop it down to f16 to remove any aberrations and also get more cloud movement :bonk:

Back