Taylor Wessing: Shortlist announced

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
No
The shortlist has been announced for this year's Taylor Wessing Photography Portrait Prize ... you can see and read all about it here.

My first reaction is that they've picked five photos that all come from the same ballpark stylistically and that they follow on from the type of shots that've been in the majority in the exhibition for the past few years. I was really disappointed last year by how 'samey' it felt with the year before and I get the feeling this year it could be the same again.

I foolishly dared to enter this year, but something completely different. A wide angle 11mm close up of a child at the moment of 'emotional eruption' with a tear in his eye. I knew it wouldn't stand a chance, but at least it's a bit different.

I'm pretty uninspired by those short listed this year - and yes, they all seem very similar and to be frank, a bit dull and lifeless.

At least i know what type of portrait to enter next year to stand a chance of being exhibited!!

Many of this years efforts wouldn't look out of place on awkward family photos.com.

At least i know what type of portrait to enter next year to stand a chance of being exhibited!!

Exactly! It's really not a criticism of these individual entries which actually I quite like - it's just that there's been a noticeable narrowing of what is being included, and that does make the exhibition itself duller.

Back