Shooting wildlife - my essential guide....

Edit My Images
Yes
You may have seen this before, some may not, but here is the definative guide to shooting wildlife.

Hope it helps.

Today I would like to talk about wildlife photography and give you all a lesson in the said art.

Hopefully this short web seminar will help YOU improve as a photographer and you can pass these sensible ideas onto fellow snappers.

Frankly, we all benefit, as teaching seems to come naturally to me. Before we proceed with the lesson, please note that the following pictures have not been doctored in anyway, shape or form.

The first thing we need to talk about is preparation. This is critical. I mean, do you think Sadam Hussein frog marched into Kuwait without considering the lay of the land or likewise, when Hitler and his blitzkrieg crew belted into Russia do you think they forgot to research the freezing cold Siberian winters that would render the ill prepared troops as ineffective. No, not at all. (Sorry, just googled that – Hitler, what a Pratt, we all know it gets cold anywhere east of Bristol) Anyway, research, research, and research. My first example picture shows me researching for long a wildlife trip in a difficult climate. Please do not under estitmate your habitat!!!

Research.jpg

I think the next thing to consider would be supplies. Ideally, less is more so pre-packed is good, but avoid wrappers as they rustle and you don’t want to sound like some asbo kid at the cinema on a Saturday night. I have attached some pictures of my ideal wildlife lunchbox items, fresh fruit, and instant custard. Look at those bananas....like they have just fallen from the tree..yummy eh? Top notch fruit.

freshfruit.jpg

Jobs a good 'UN with that delicious lot on your trip.

Next we need to look at our gear. Ideally you should have the following. Camo camera bag, camo hat and of course a second hand camo coat.

hat.jpg

bag.jpg

coat.jpg

I got mine at the army surplus on St. Johns Road for £20.00 and even has the deceased blokes name badge and matching bullet hole. (Ahem!)

I usually wear standard issue jeans and find Pepe to be a good fit. 32” waist and 33” leg for me. I tend to steer away from jeans available at outlets such as Asda George as despite being around £8.00 per pair, they are inherently awful on. Footwear wise YOU MUST wear sturdy, comfortable boots with ankle garters attachments. For jungle expeditions I tend to use these –

shoes.jpg

They are made by Lonsdale; Wimbledon models with Velcro strap for quick release. Finished in black with a mottle effect I prefer these over walking boots. Far more sensible and a snip at £16.00 from sports world and look great on if you happen to chance upon a bar in the middle of nowhere! You can usually find trainers akin to these at those large retail places that claim to be closing down every week but when you pass a week later they are still there selling kit to one and all in some matrix-esque glitch where you again go in for some cheap daps as they close next week. Repeat.

Of course, your outfit/uniform can be adapted to your environment and on this trip I chose to blend in with my prey and the surroundings. A simple trick such as this can fool even the wisest of animals and give you precious seconds when trying to get that critical shot! Note the subtle but adjusted head gear!

hat1.jpg

hat2.jpg

Another tip/trick I would like to reveal is luring your subject into the open/field of view. Why not try and lure the said beast/mammal/animal with food? Talk to the subject in its basest terms and as such I always carry 52 cans of this with me. Of course, it can double up and replace my custard sachet as I have forgotten to pack a kettle lead on many an occasion. Example -

dogfood.jpg

I think the next thing we need to consider is camera gear. Don’t worry too much – I use this £130.00 lens.

zoomlens.jpg

It gets great results and once you put my tips into effect you may find that your days of shooting wildlife with a 400mm L lens will have gone as frankly you can get to your subject with stealth and cunning, the sole objective of today’s lesson. As such why not forget the zoom and chuck in a macro or 10mm lens for the challenge. Once when in East Asia I managed to get right on top of a pair or mating gorillas and I can validate the fact that despite urban legend, they do in fact have large girth in the nether region, not long and thin. A special thanks to Dr. Hans Bartofski for helping me to walk again and for the several tricky operations on my damaged sphincter.

CONT..........

The next set of pictures actively demonstrates the art of good camouflage. However, note that years of experience, Roy Castle like dedication and some training have got me to what I call 'Mission Impossible mode'. As an aside, its my favourite ring tone when out in the field on a paid assignment.

fence.jpg

I have revealed my hands in this picture so- you can see me. Clever eh?

fence2.jpg

In this shot I have left my left foot visible for you, along with my right hand which is pointing to my destination. Finally, my head is clearly visible in this shot. Can you see it?

fence3.jpg

You will note that from the first shot to the last I am hardly visible, even up against the green wood stain cuprinol fence. The last shot will prove that my technique is simply untouchable as please tell me, can you see me? Have a go - try and spot me. Impossible isnt it?

hidden.jpg

The last shot is a simple picture of me advising you on how to go prone with your camera. To be honest, I did not learn this by using my camera. I simply spent far too many hours playing shoot em ups on my PC and its something that now comes naturally.

prone.jpg

I am what I would call a camper, but not in the ‘I’m freeeeeeeee’ sense of camp. Also, having to lay on my front for six months after my gorilla incident help this technique a lot and in this picture I am demoing Canons new stealth camera and lens.

Finally my last batch of pictures again highlights how effective this shooting method can be. Look how close I got to this Koala which happened to be roaming in my back garden just this afternoon - apparently taking a distinct interest in the bait I had put out for a bald eagle that has been seen near my home of late. Got. to. catch. that. bad. boy!!!

koala1.jpg

Even closer!!!!!

koala2.jpg

To be honest, I knew there was a reason I packed my Aussie bobble hat this morning and I looked like it paid off. Kudos to me as I suspect it lulled the Koala (aboriginee word meaning lives in the trees) in a false sense of security and I think that it could relate to the hat, somehow, someway :clap:

That concludes today’s lesson.

If there are any subjects you would like me to draft a summary on please don’t be afraid to ask. Please go out and out this event into practice. It really does work and there is nothing like getting close to nature.

Well except for those damned dirty apes that I am mentally damaged by.

Oh and one last thing, please - don’t have nightmares.

Pete.

Bloody hell Pete..:LOL:

Superb stuff.. Keep taking the tablets mate..:D:LOL::LOL:

:LOL: :LOL:

I came in here thinking when did Pete ever do wildlife :LOL:

someone needs to get out more! :nuts: :clap:

BRILLIANT!!!!! I have learnt soooooo much!!! thankyou, thankyou, thankypoo!!!! :notworthy: x x x

Ill take a dose too please!

Creacked me up mate :LOL: Keep it coming!

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Love it

Highly educational piece of writing

Well done, brownie points duly awarded to you sir

You really ought to lay offa the caffeine after 20:00hrs, IT WILL send you HYPER you will have TROUBLE SLEEPING but It obviously helps you write increadibly funny stuff, I recind my first statement in favour of the second
:clap::LOL::LOL::LOL::clap:

I was just smiling until I saw the foliage camouflage shots :LOL:

I can't believe I'm going to say this but I think you topped the MILF thread. FABULOUS. I"ll have to share it with others I think.

Very very funny :LOL:

Wow! Pete Im sooo impressed!!! (y)
After studying your guide I shall indeed start a wardrobe search this very day as Im pretty sure I have the appropriate attire for a wildlife trip around the wilds of Penn.
Ive also heard the rumour that there's been bears spotted around these here very parts. :eek:

That concludes today’s lesson.

If there are any subjects you would like me to draft a summary on please don’t be afraid to ask. Please go out and out this event into practice.

Pete.

Ok, since you asked, what Id really like to know is, how does one lure those amazing creatures .... the Lesser Spotted female Wannabie Model.
I know this creature exisits as its been reported to be found in abundance around shopping centres, pubs and the now very alien to me .... nightclub.
So Pete, how does the humble photographer get the camera near to these amazing fillies without them taking flight or smacking you between the eyes with their little pink phones?

As a wildlife guru with so many adoring fans, your advice would be muchly appreciated here Pete.

In the meantime while I await your generous & knowledgable advice, I will go practice my bear watching skills in the cold climes of Penn with baited breath and armed with a packet & a half of honey flavoured Lockets
... see Ive been listening ;)
Gratefully yours ... your no.1 stalker ... I mean fan .... yes fan...I meant to say FAN! :nuts:

Pete, you are as sane as a chimp playing a wax piano in bath full of turnips.

... and you deserve an award for that :clap: :clap: :clap:
Excellent.

Now thats funny. I was in a bad mood then i came to work, thats just cheered me up.
Thanks you:clap:

Quality thread Pete, you've cheered me up no end :LOL:

Classic, many TV series have started from less! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Pete,

I've just got in from a long and hard night shift, (started at 8 last night). This as put my bad mood to bed and deserves 'Thread of the Year'. :clap: (y)

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Whatever about a misspent youth..........

Back