High End Compact Cameras - Test Shots

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
As there have been a few threads just recently about high-end compacts I thought I would add a couple of shots from my Samsung EX1 for people to peruse.
If anyone has any shots from other cameras of the same type (e.g Canon G series, Panasonic LX, Nikon P7000 etc.) they could pop them in here for comparison.

I have to say that I am very pleased with the Samsung so far, good image quality, fantastic build quality and simple to use.

Indoor shot

Mums by andysnapper1, on Flickr

100% crop of above

Mums-100% by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Outdoor shot 1

Field1 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Close up

White-flower by andysnapper1, on Flickr

All of these were shot in RAW and have only had a little sharpen otherwise they are straight from camera.

Cheers

Andy

:whistle:

although they do look good, i dont think i could ever go back to a compact camera. It just doesnt compare to an SLR. Ill get some shots up in a bit of a Panasonic ZX1 i bought my dad

A decent compact is useful to keep in a pocket. Not everyone wants to lug round a dslr all the time.

ISO 400
1/30 Shutter Speed
F/3.3

P1040130.jpg

100% crop

P1040130100c.jpg

ISO 80
1/160
F/10
P1030724.jpg

100%

P1030724100.jpg

A decent compact is useful to keep in a pocket. Not everyone wants to lug round a dslr all the time.

I'm toying with the idea of getting the new Ricoh GRD4 when it's released later this month.

Although I'm happy with the D700 it would be nice to have something that will fit in my pocket yet will still take a good quality shot.

It's got a stop less ISO (3200 vs 6400) but has over a stop faster lens (f/1.8 vs f/2.8).

It's also one of the few compacts that has a prime lens (I have never much liked zooms).

I'm still going through my folder, but I liked this one as an example of a photo using the flash.

Olympus XZ-1
Exposure 0.033 sec (1/30)
Aperture f/1.8
Focal Length 6 mm
ISO Speed 200
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash Auto, Fired

jpeg, nothing done to it at all.

Coel by Craig & Ruth, on Flickr

How do I do a 100% crop? Using Elements 9, do I just view actual pixels crop the area I want and then save?

Last edited:
Sponge, yes thats how I do it anyway, nice pic the XZ-1 was on my list but was just a bit too pricey.

Adrian, I have a friend who has the GRD3 and he loves it, really good image quality.

Dylan, thanks for those shots, looks good. I too would never not have a DSLR but, as Suz says, there are times when I just want to slip a camera in a pocket and off I go.

Cheers

Andy

Back