The iPhone 4S’ Camera Is So Good It’s Almost Like Having A DSLR In Your Pocket

Name
Jen
Edit My Images
Yes
Cult of mac have lit the fuse and stood well back with this article.

While there’s a lot more to a camera’s quality than megapixels, Apple’s initial batch of images taken with the iPhone 4S’ backlit 8MP camera are impressive. Really impressive.

Here’s the caveat, though: these are all images taken by professionals using absolutely perfect light conditions, likely with tripods. The pictures you take with your iPhone 4S in a pitch black club after you’ve had one too many Snake Juices are likely to vary wildly.

I think its a bit tongue in cheek. And if you look at the pictures they look pretty poor even at the published size, though the squirrel one is good but I'd actually question how genuine that picture is!

Picture1-5.png

Definitely something going on with the pixels on the eye.

:LOL:

there are a few 'heated' comments beneath the link. I think it's tongue in cheek too but it made me chuckle :)

surely the pied piper of Apple inc already has enough followers without the need to BS?

I've never bought into the Apple brand myself, but there's enough fanboys and worshippers already to make sure it's the biggest selling handset yet again. I'll just chuckle into my android handset with my monthly bill in the other hand.....

Don't think it costs anymore to have an apple handset than any other these days?

I'm certainly paying less now every month than I ever used to.

I just have a PAYG phone which surprise surprise makes phone calls, so for a mobile phone it does what it says on the tin, if I want a PC, it needs a decent size screen I can see and a proper keyboard I can type with, not some overhyped gizmo. :)

artyman said:
I just have a PAYG phone which surprise surprise makes phone calls, so for a mobile phone it does what it says on the tin, if I want a PC, it needs a decent size screen I can see and a proper keyboard I can type with, not some overhyped gizmo. :)

Ah but it's more than that! They arnt just phones any more, that's the point.

I never knew how useful they were till I got mine. I mean, I'm a coffee addict (for example) and I can go to a completely unknown town and at the press of a key it'll tell me where the best coffee shops are and how to get there from where I'm standing. It'll even tell me which is cheapest...

Now tell me that's not useful! And as I say, I pay less every month than I did for my brick phone 10 years ago.

Last edited:
^^^This.

And bear in mind that 10 years ago is not taking things back to when mobiles were an exclusive luxury, by 2001 they were pretty commonplace.

I use my phone so much it's unbelievable. Very rarely to make phone calls though.:D

antihero said:
surely the pied piper of Apple inc already has enough followers without the need to BS?

I've never bought into the Apple brand myself, but there's enough fanboys and worshippers already to make sure it's the biggest selling handset yet again. I'll just chuckle into my android handset with my monthly bill in the other hand.....

Hi Paul, I could never be described as a fanboy, or at my age any kind of boy, but I do love my iPhone and iPad. They're both incredible devices that have changed my life to a degree. I don't want to get into the argument about wether or not Steve Jobs was a Messiah, but I can't deny I enjoy my new IPad, it's bloody incredible!!

I'm not denying that Apple produce amazing bits of tech, because they have! The ipad is a thing of beauty, just wayyyyyy overpriced in my opinion. If I had money to burn, i'd probably have one right now, but as that isn't the case I can wait for cheaper options to catch up (looking forward to how the Kindle Fire sizes up!)

As for the iphone, I cant find any contracts less than £30 a month (I pay £20 including insurance for my Desire HD)

I never knew how useful they were till I got mine. I mean, I'm a coffee addict (for example) and I can go to a completely unknown town and at the press of a key it'll tell me where the best coffee shops are and how to get there from where I'm standing. It'll even tell me which is cheapest...

Best coffee shops or the ones that paid the app writers the biggest kickbacks? Hell, some people reckon Starbucks make the best coffee, others can't stand the places and prefer Costa or Café ero (other chain coffee shops exist.)

Nod said:
Best coffee shops or the ones that paid the app writers the biggest kickbacks? Hell, some people reckon Starbucks make the best coffee, others can't stand the places and prefer Costa or Café ero (other chain coffee shops exist.)

No I'm talking independents (with some chains in there if you like them, if not you can filter them out) the recommendations are made by the users.

What's with the negativity??

odd jim said:
Don't think it costs anymore to have an apple handset than any other these days?

I'm certainly paying less now every month than I ever used to.

Well, after the 4s cam out I took a long look at possible upgrades. The android equivalent is the samsung galaxy s which on 02 is £21.50 a month and £105 for the phone.
The iPhone 4 is £35 a month and £250 for the phone. That's just too much of a premium for the apple product for me.

I've started to seriously think about the new nexus, and this is from someone with an iPhone and iPad.

Last edited:
You can get an iPhone 4s for £15.50 per month on o2.

and the handset is free?

That's what I was wondering.... on a £21.50 contract the phone itself costs over £300 :eek:

I do have an iPhone, I think it's a great piece of kit, my contract is £32pcm, my phone was free but even with a cheaper phone/contract my usage averages about £35pcm anyway. Admittedly, when I upgraded in August I did just get another iPhone 3 - camera quality on my mobile phone is way down my list of priorities

Simmotino said:
You were talking about monthly costs, not contract prices :rolleyes:

Nope. You have to look at total price over the contract period, be it 18 months, 24 months andthe cost of h handset. They tie you into a contract period for a reason, and it's all about money.
There's no poor phone company.

Nope. You have to look at total price over the contract period, be it 18 months, 24 months andthe cost of h handset. They tie you into a contract period for a reason, and it's all about money.
There's no poor phone company.

Not sure I follow your post in response to my quoted post to be honest Byker.

I was simply refuting the assertion that you had to pay more a month for an iPhone than you do a droid handset.

yes but doesn't everyone factor the cost of the handset into it?

Evidently not, when they express their stance with:

I'll just chuckle into my android handset with my monthly bill in the other hand.....

Your droid handset and monthly bill will be bigger than someone's iPhone handset and monthly bill that's taken that contract option.

Now, if you had of said...

"I'll just chuckle in to my android handset with my completed contract cost in the other hand"

... it would have been a fair assumption that handset cost should also be factored in to the debate.

Galaxy s2 on a 24 month contract for £22.50 per month and £99 up front for the phone. Absolutely love my Android!

Simmotino said:
Not sure I follow your post in response to my quoted post to be honest Byker.

I was simply refuting the assertion that you had to pay more a month for an iPhone than you do a droid handset.

I agree with that :)

Leslie said:
Galaxy s2 on a 24 month contract for £22.50 per month and £99 up front for the phone. Absolutely love my Android!

Which network is that? O2 is £21.50 for 200 mins, unlimited text, 500mb data, £105 for the handset. I'm just waiting for the 4s prices to see what the rest of the iPhones drop to, or the cost of the new nexus.

I love my iPhone, but I'm not going to pay £14+ per month extra plus an extra £150 over the galaxy.

DOF is interesting for a camera with a small sensor size I thought, doesn't anybody here have one to post some actual pics for us to see?
The ones I have seen from the "old" iphone 4 were not very good IMHO, and in poor light even the cheapest compact would blow it away.

My best friend has the same phone and his crashes every half hour, its a real shame as it is a nice phone, i got the first galaxy that came out and enjoyed it for about 2 weeks before going back to an iphone, nothing compares imho to an iphone.

Evidently not, when they express their stance with:

Your droid handset and monthly bill will be bigger than someone's iPhone handset and monthly bill that's taken that contract option.

Now, if you had of said...

"I'll just chuckle in to my android handset with my completed contract cost in the other hand"

... it would have been a fair assumption that handset cost should also be factored in to the debate.

fair enough, but that was before I knew you could get such a cheap "monthly payment" ... next time i'll choose my wording more carefully.

I'm £10 a month on the iphone4 for 250 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data with 0800 and 0500 numbers free too.

(did buy the phone unlocked direct from apple though)

Lomond Lad said:
I'm £10 a month on the iphone4 for 250 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data with 0800 and 0500 numbers free too.

(did buy the phone unlocked direct from apple though)

Any iPhone owner can get 0800 and 0500 numbers free by installing the correct app.
As for the new 4s it's a bit of a disappointment so for my upgrade next week I'm switching from my jailbroken 3GS to the Galaxy S2.

Paul

Redpaul said:
Any iPhone owner can get 0800 and 0500 numbers free by installing the correct app.
As for the new 4s it's a bit of a disappointment so for my upgrade next week I'm switching from my jailbroken 3GS to the Galaxy S2.

Paul

I'm afraid you might find that clunky to use, even compared to a 3s (which is still an awesome phone).

Last edited:
My best friend has the same phone and his crashes every half hour, its a real shame as it is a nice phone, i got the first galaxy that came out and enjoyed it for about 2 weeks before going back to an iphone, nothing compares imho to an iphone.

That probably means he's loaded a dodgy app, rather than a problem with the phone.

I'm not saying the iphone isnt good, just that the premium to own one seems unrealistically high over other offerings.

Last edited:
I am pretty settled on the 4s as a replacement phone. Only hurdle is how to force o2 into letting me keep my current tariff as their new ones all suck. Also with the icloud stuff it means the phone content will always be backed up properly.

I've always used nokia but their last two efforts have been such an unreliable disappointment I can't stick with them even though the cameras in them are so good.

Back