Loonies go to the Waterfalls, again - The Images

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
This is the thread for images taken at the Welsh Waterfalls TP meet on the 15th of October.
Spectacular waterfalls, superb weather and great company.
Many thanks to Stan (and Neil) for organising.

Markw08 summed it up perfectly in the original meet thread.
"Well we had a great day...Plenty of activity...
Watched the rugby, visited waterfalls, watched a big group canyoning down the river, a marriage proposal under a waterfall, a canon/nikon/Sony banter with some tourists and somebody wanting to hear stan's sexy welsh accent..
The guys ended it in the pub, which I had to miss...."

Team Shot
Left to Right - CarolineS (kneeling), existent, stan the man, markw08, Digitall (kneeling), Big Andy, Mrs Big Andy and DuncanDisorderly.
i-RH5Nbs3-L.jpg

i-LRLMLQP-L.jpg

Last edited:
The team was shooting underneath Sgwd Yr Eira; the famous waterfall which has a public footpath running behind the waterfall.
I spotted the kissing couple and remember thinking that either the waterfall would hide them or they would add scale. So I thought nothing more about them until Markw08 told us they had just got engaged behind the waterfall. On one knee, ring, the whole works.
We were chatting to them and I suddenly realised I may have an accidental photo of their proposal.
I do!

The shot I was after...
i-wdB4Kxh-L.jpg

Crop of the kissing couple from the image above.
i-LzzT3sx-M.jpg

After chatting to them, Markw08 suggested we take an image of them in front of the falls. For some reason I was the only one who took up the challenge :thinking:
i-pRfRjkK-M.jpg

They have my email address and hopefully will be in touch soon.
I'll be very happy to send them some prints.

Edit - Mark and Erin have been in touch; I'll let you all know what happens :)

Last edited:
Nice shots Duncan looks like you had a great time, and a very nice gesture to send them some prints, bet theyll be over the moon with them :clap:

Look forward to seeing everyone else's shots (y)

Stan....2 & 3 are crackers!!!!! 1's not to bad either!!!!! looks like I missed a good one there :-(

When's the next one?

Stan - lovely piccies!
No 4 and 7 for me :)
As for No6, that's a rare of photo of me that I actually like (y)

A few more from me.

1) Canyoneers jumping into the plunge pool.
20111015-124311-IMG3059-L.jpg

2) Sgwd Dwilli Uchaf
20111015-163805-IMG3147-L.jpg

3) Sgwd Dwilli Uchaf
20111015-164354-IMG3158-L.jpg

4) Sgwd Dwilli Uchaf
20111015-164846-IMG3162-L.jpg

5) Lovely light on this tree in the woods on the walk back to the car.
20111015-150307-MG8920-L.jpg

Final set from me...
Exactly the same composition, but different shutter speeds.
Showing the team the shots on the back of the camera, opinion was split.
I still can't make my mind up; I like them all !
Here's a chance for another look....

2s, f16, ISO 50
20111015-171113-IMG3213-L.jpg

0.6s, f16, ISO 160
20111015-171133-IMG3215-L.jpg

0.3s, f18, ISO 400
20111015-171144-IMG3216-L.jpg

1/15s, f18, ISO 2000
20111015-171206-IMG3217-L.jpg

Final set from me...
Exactly the same composition, but different shutter speeds.
Showing the team the shots on the back of the camera, opinion was split.
I still can't make my mind up; I like them all !
Here's a chance for another look....

2s, f16, ISO 50

0.6s, f16, ISO 160

0.3s, f18, ISO 400

1/15s, f18, ISO 2000

0.6 seconds for me Duncan.. Great balance between smooth silky water flow and the texture detail...

Great shots from everyone so far. Some that stand out for me are:

- Duncan's tree shot.. It was such an amazing light. Shame about the second tree right behind it though... I haven't seen your kissing couple shot yesterday. Great catch there...

- #3 and #7 from Stan. You managed to capture a long exposure while they were all standing there. Lovely light in 3.. Nice glimpse of a rainbow in #5 as well..

- 1st one from Caroline. Shame you didn't have a tripod but managed to grab some nice shots.

Here are few from me...

Sgwd Y Pannwr - Take Two by etunar, on Flickr

2. This is actually from 2 weeks ago but I took the exact same shot yesterday as well. The light was a bit better here though, and there were less people in the frame :D

Sgwd Isaf Clun-Gwyn by etunar, on Flickr

3. This one is my favorite from the day even though I was a bit hesitant about going to Sgwd Dwli Uchaf (thanks Stan!). And as a site note, you can see me taking this one on Duncan's shot :D

Fairy Tale.. by etunar, on Flickr

Essen - #2 is mind blowingly good.
A real 'wish I was there' shot.

#3 - I was wondering what caught your interest. The light was very contrasty and a real struggle from around that area; I didn't see this, but it works :)

Some good shots all round chaps, Didn't we do well :)
Each of you has a real winner for me but I'm not going to say which, but I would have been more than happy to take any of them.

Esen you've done it again for me with the water texture in no 2, love it!

Looking forward to our next trip out.

Caroline - I found it!! Battery and tripod plate, hiding away at home all the time!!

DuncanDisorderly said:
#3 - I was wondering what caught your interest. The light was very contrasty and a real struggle from around that area; I didn't see this, but it works :)

Yes the light was a bit too contrasty and still a bit too harsh but i think the longer exposure helped balance it a bit.

Great sets of pictures guys... :D

A few from me...

1)
tp_waterfall_02.JPG

2)
tp_waterfall_03.JPG

3)
tp_waterfall_04.JPG

4)
tp_waterfall_05.JPG

(y)

Not sure on this one... quite blue... :thinking:

5)
tp_waterfall_01.JPG

Great sets of pictures guys... :D
A few from me...
#2 for me - I suspect that would look great printed big and framed on the wall.

My efforts from a very enjoyable day out with the Loonies. All shots were with a mono pod or hand held and no fliters were harmed in these shots because I did not use any.
#2 for me - absolutely beautiful.

Last edited:
More info from Mark and Erin, the courting couple...
I sent them a link to this thread....

"Those photos are brilliant! I'm so glad you caught one of us behind the waterfall. It is very kind of you to offer sending a print to us, it would be very much appreciated if you did.

Erin and I both live and work in Middlesbrough. We made the 5 hour car journey down to Wales specifically to do the 4 waterfalls walk, all the while Erin being unaware of my full intentions :)

Erin will be so pleased when I show her these photos tonight.
Thanks again - Mark"

Back