A Suitably Gothic Still-Life in time for Halloween

TheBigYin

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Some of you may already have seen this one in the POTY competition, but I reckoned that it was suitably seasonal, so why not give it another run out...

Vanitas with Globe and Fruit

Vanitas with Globe and Fruit by The Big Yin, on Flickr

For those of you unfamiliar with the style of paintings this was based upon...

Vanitas still life paintings are mostly associated with the 16c and 17c Netherlands and Flanders painters. Heavily symbol laden, they were usually meant as a reminder of the transience of life, the futility of pleasure, and the certainty of death. They also provided a moral justification for many paintings of attractive objects.

In this image I have included a number of Vanitas symbols...

• The skull, a reminder of the certainty of death;
  • Over Ripe Fruit, which symbolizes the decay of ageing, and the ephemeral nature of life... also a peeled lemon, which is like life, attractive to look at, but bitter to taste.;
  • Smoke, and the almost burned out Candle which symbolize the brevity of life;
  • The Cards and Dice are an obvious reference to gambling - a form of excess;
  • The pipe is a symbol of vanity and excess;
  • The Bible rests on the book of Job: 14.1 - "Man that is born of Woman is of few days, and is full of trouble";
  • The Eyeglasses are an indication of ageing and decline;
  • The visible section of the Globe is showing the area from the Middle East to the Seas off China, reminding us of the Unrest and Natural Disasters currently unfolding in these areas at the time of the shoot;
  • In this case, the Dice have also been used to give a personal note to the picture - the 14th being my birthday... as to the significance of the reflected numbers, you'll have to work that one out yourselves ;-)

Shooting this still life was a bit of an epic, to be honest, not just the background research into the style of paintings that inspired it, but the sourcing of props (surprisingly I didn't just have a skull, vintage pince-nez, and a churchwarden clay pipe just lying around :LOL:) and building a set (Stucco Rustico rear panel, and the tabletop were also built for the shot) and even the lighting (bearing in mind I only took delivery of the lighting kit a couple of days before I started in on this project).

Last edited:
That's a stunning still life (y) it's brilliant both in composition and the detail, and that is supported in the background to the image that you've provided, it's this kind of dedication that you've put into this image that really pays dividends when such a fantastic image is the final product (y) :clap:

Matt
MWHCVT

Yes I remember seeing this before. It's a very visually pleasing image even if you're ignorant of the meaning behind the symbols, the lighting and shadows give it the ring of authenticity.

Well done Mark,

an excellent atmospheric image with very good lighting

I love those types of paintings, and think you've done an excelent job or creating a personal and modern take on the idea.

It looks very well thought out and executed.

Excellent, Mark - Pushing all my buttons √√√

Excellent.

I love those types of paintings, and think you've done an excelent job or creating a personal and modern take on the idea.

It looks very well thought out and executed.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

Well done Mark,

an excellent atmospheric image with very good lighting

Strange you mention the lighting - that's the bit i'm least happy with... but then again, my mentor in this sort of set piece photography was from the "It's to be shot on 5"x4" Velvia Transparency for Magazine production - so everything needs to be right "in camera"

That's a stunning still life (y) it's brilliant both in composition and the detail, and that is supported in the background to the image that you've provided, it's this kind of dedication that you've put into this image that really pays dividends when such a fantastic image is the final product (y) :clap:

Matt
MWHCVT

Cheers Matt - wasn't sure if people would "get it" as a creative work, it not being lots of light painting, HDR or heavy PP work. Most of the really creatve work was in the set building and preparation TBH - I made the table for example, purely for this shot (and future work of this nature, obvoiusly) and had to work out how to create a "Stucco Rustico" effect wall for the backdrop. I'm not saying there's NO post-production work gone on, there is actually quite a bit, but it was mainly to get the look and feel of the "Old Master" style, rather than creating an image from composites.

Yes I remember seeing this before. It's a very visually pleasing image even if you're ignorant of the meaning behind the symbols, the lighting and shadows give it the ring of authenticity.

Again, I wasn't sure about including all the background behind the symbols - didn't want to appear too much of a pretentious tool ;) - but in the end, I decided that it DID help the understanding of why I'd chosen the specific items for this composition...

That's a brilliant shot, I love the symbolism you've included - it was also done in a much simpler/cruder way with Victorian portrait photos and I've been trying to interpret that style for a while. The attention to detail in building the set.. top work!

This is just fantastic from start to finish :clap: Obviously a lot of thought and time went into this and the explanation is second to none. Very well done :1st:

I remember this from the poty thread, thought it was fantastic then and i still think so. What did that poor fellow do to end up a paper weight on your desk, remind me not to steal any of your chips should we ever meet :LOL:

I love the way you've explained all the elements to this shot. It's very atmospheric and the thought that's gone into the detail has produced a brilliant image. :)

I think its all been said, but just wanted to say it looks great being this time of the yr , really well executed ............

Last edited:
That's a brilliant shot, I love the symbolism you've included - it was also done in a much simpler/cruder way with Victorian portrait photos and I've been trying to interpret that style for a while. The attention to detail in building the set.. top work!

Thanks - it's definitely going to be one of a series - i've got another on the go at the moment, but daren't post it as I'm possibly going to be relying on it for the November POTY... I did actually shoot a few frames of film on the latest setup as well, which I'm looking forward to seeing come out of the soup...

This is just fantastic from start to finish :clap: Obviously a lot of thought and time went into this and the explanation is second to none. Very well done :1st:

Glad you liked it, with something like this it's nice to give a little background - not everyone has a history of studying 16c dutch/flemish painters - I know I DIDN'T, which is why there are a few anachronisms - like the non-period candlestick for example...

I remember this from the poty thread, thought it was fantastic then and i still think so. What did that poor fellow do to end up a paper weight on your desk, remind me not to steal any of your chips should we ever meet :LOL:

Cheers - I'll tell Eddie you liked his starring role. Actually, he's outside tonight in the bushes next to the house, with a couple of red led's in his eye-sockets, scaring the bejaysus out of the little kids who are trick-or-treating :LOL:

I love the way you've explained all the elements to this shot. It's very atmospheric and the thought that's gone into the detail has produced a brilliant image. :)

I think its all been said, but just wanted to say it looks great being this time of the yr , really well executed ............

Thankyou very much... It's nice to get a little feedback from the shot to be honest - it was taken for the POTY back in march, and to be honest, it's one thing to get a few votes in the month, it's entirely another thing to get a reception like this...

All I can say is Gobsmacked! I don't think I have ever seen so much care taken with a photograph on TP, in terms of research, collection of props and explanation of how and why things were included. Absolutely fantastic.:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I liked this the first time round Mark and I've not changed my mind. Its a great still life and, as has been said above, the care, placement and time tyou have taken has paid dividends. Excellent image.

Andy

:clap: Amazing Mark.

I really do love this kind of still life, but I'd never really appreciated just how much symbolism went into them. 10 out of 10 for research and authenticity as well as for execution on this one - I genuinely enjoyed reading about why you'd chosen to include each item. You've obviously taken a lot of time arranging them too. There are lots of implied triangles in that composition which are easy on the eye, but also lead you nicely around the photograph.

Just a couple of suggestions for improvement from me. I'd really like to see that bit of wall (bottom left) that's showing beneath the table top and the hot spot on the globe cloned out. I also think that the left hand side could do with a bit of subtle vignetting to make the image more symmetrical and draw attention away from that bright top corner and into the main part of the photograph. Yes, I know I'm being picky, but when I really like something I always want to see those last couple of touches to make it perfect ;)

Finally 2 questions :

- Where did you buy the skull? I've been trawling charity and second hand shops for something like that for ages and still haven't managed to find one.
(Obviously for still life purposes. I do already have my own skull otherwise my head would be like a jellyfish.)

- And how did you manage to get a fly to land on it and stay still for the photograph?

Bloody hell Mark!
There is a lot of thought gone into that image :clap:

- Where did you buy the skull? I've been trawling charity and second hand shops for something like that for ages and still haven't managed to find one.
(Obviously for still life purposes. I do already have my own skull otherwise my head would be like a jellyfish.)

I don't know where Mark's prop skull came from, but Pets At Home have a very effective skull ornament for fish tanks. With luck they have one from the older moulding, the new one has a hole in the side whereas the original version was much better - can be seen here.

Mark,

Mrs_C says it is fantastic and I does agree :)

We likes that a lot ..............

:clap: Amazing Mark.

I really do love this kind of still life, but I'd never really appreciated just how much symbolism went into them. 10 out of 10 for research and authenticity as well as for execution on this one - I genuinely enjoyed reading about why you'd chosen to include each item. You've obviously taken a lot of time arranging them too. There are lots of implied triangles in that composition which are easy on the eye, but also lead you nicely around the photograph.

Why, thankyou kindly... It was a bit of a labour of love, to be honest - not aided by the fact that I'd nowhere to build a permanent set - so the whole lot was set up and torn down maybe a dozen times before I got it right...

Just a couple of suggestions for improvement from me. I'd really like to see that bit of wall (bottom left) that's showing beneath the table top and the hot spot on the globe cloned out. I also think that the left hand side could do with a bit of subtle vignetting to make the image more symmetrical and draw attention away from that bright top corner and into the main part of the photograph. Yes, I know I'm being picky, but when I really like something I always want to see those last couple of touches to make it perfect ;)

Ah - you spotted the one thing I'm not happy with - the "hotspot" on the globe was a dismal failure on my part - let me tell "the story of the shot"

- The idea was of a chap, late on in years, who's spent an evening, smoking his pipe, reading his bible, and dwelling on his own mortality. He realises he's spent all night at his good book, rises from his chair and opens the heavy curtain to the left hand of frame, allowing the low morning light to enter the room, slanting in across the table, lighting above and below the table to the left of frame, yet fading to the right....

The "hotspot" was a not-quite-reflective enough surface of the large softbox with faux window mutton-bars added - the intent was to have the shape of a lit window on the globe... sadly, I ran out of time before the shot needed to be entered into the competition, and I really, really wanted to try and do it "in camera" - mainly as I also shot it on a borrowed 5"x4" film camera on Velvia slide film.

Finally 2 questions :

- And how did you manage to get a fly to land on it and stay still for the photograph?

The skull is a complete fake - from this seller on ebay - it's actually a solid lump of ceramic, thats been aged and painted to look maybe half convincing, in the right light, with a bit of PP ;) - if you want a more convincing fake then these people are good - the basic ones aren't fantastic, but if you give 'em a ring and see what they'll do in the custom line...

As for the Bluebottle. Well... Bert was very well trained...

There's actually quite a precedent for adding in Flys on these kind of pictures - it was treated by the old master as a test of how good their painting was - if they could paint a fly on their canvas, so convincing, that the purchaser was moved to brush it away, then they had "arrived" as a painter, so to speak.

All I can say is Gobsmacked! I don't think I have ever seen so much care taken with a photograph on TP, in terms of research, collection of props and explanation of how and why things were included. Absolutely fantastic.:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Cheers, it's probably one of the only shot's i've ever taken that i'm reasonably happy with :)

I liked this the first time round Mark and I've not changed my mind. Its a great still life and, as has been said above, the care, placement and time tyou have taken has paid dividends. Excellent image.

Andy

Cheers Andy - it just seemed timely to get it out and give it an airing - what with halloween, and the new creative section...

Bloody hell Mark!
There is a lot of thought gone into that image :clap:

Quite a bit of £ sunk into the props too - fortunately, I sold a single canvas of it to one of my Goth-ey mates, and it paid for itself :LOL:

Mark,

Mrs_C says it is fantastic and I does agree :)

We likes that a lot ..............

Thank you both!

Bloody hell Mark! I'm even more impressed now that I know this was shot on film and done completely in camera :notworthy:
And now that I know the story I'm seeing it in a totally different way - the lighting on the LHS makes a lot more sense. Shame that the window didn't quite come out as planned, but don't let it take anything away from what's still a fantastic shot just as it is.

Re: The skull.

Don't worry - I wasn't actually after a real human skull, a replica will do nicely :). But to date the only things I'd found on EBay were plasticky Halloween stuff; stupidly priced ceramics and even more expensive anatomical models. I'll definitely check that seller and the other place out.

Alastair, thank you too (y)
I'll be having a look in P@H this weekend when I top up on fish food. Brilliant tip - I'd never thought of looking at aquarium decor, but that also looks like it will do the job perfectly.

Quite a bit of £ sunk into the props too - fortunately, I sold a single canvas of it to one of my Goth-ey mates, and it paid for itself :LOL:
Always a bonus, Mark always a bonus (y)

Bloody hell Mark! I'm even more impressed now that I know this was shot on film and done completely in camera :notworthy:
And now that I know the story I'm seeing it in a totally different way - the lighting on the LHS makes a lot more sense. Shame that the window didn't quite come out as planned, but don't let it take anything away from what's still a fantastic shot just as it is.

If this had been the version that was shot on film, chances are people wouldn't have been half as impressed - with a plate camera, I certainly wasn't able to shoot enough frames to get the candle smoke perfect, Bert the bluebottle would have been nowhere to be seen (ok - I'll admit it, he's a bit unreliable - I had to shoot him seperately :LOL:)

Glad you liked the story - a good friend of mine, sadly no longer with us once said to me "They say that every picture tells a story. Well - that's true of 'real life' or 'reportage' but when you're building the entire picture, then you have to begin by writing the story behind it..." I suppose that came from his background in film and tv of course, but I've always thought it a really good approach whenever possible.

Back