Stolen kit

Name
Blarg
Edit My Images
Yes
All,

A mate had his bag stolen from a pub a couple of days ago that contained quite a bit of camera kit, Could you please keep your eye out?

Bag contents

Canon 5D Mk II, serial 0630316561
24-70 f/2.8, serial 1398778
50mm f/1.2, serial 1571760
16-35 f/2.8
Dell Mini 9 laptop, a bit worn
Brown T-shirt with "Fox racing" logo. I liked this shirt.
LONAP branded jumper and mug

http://www.marmot.org.uk/bag/ <-- for security feed of the theft in action :(

thanks

Hope they catch him and your mate gets his equipment back.

I presume you are keeping an eye on e-bay and Gumtree in case they are flogged off.

Suprised at this: "I called them again and was then informed that they would not be doing anything because the CCTV was not good enough." - the CCTV quality looks a lot better than some of the footage that gets shown on crimewatch.

Looking at that footage I think its good enough for some one to ID him I think I would be having a word with the citizens advice and local MP that the police wont help

I would also be thinking about putting the reward details in all the local papers these scum bags seem to all know each other and would sell there own Mother for a fiver

also try crimewatch if you dont try you never know

people like this make me sick - about two years ago a young guy who is a dead keen photographer had all his kit taken by 'thugs' and he was shaken up by the experience and he was only 16 yrs old

Last edited:
You need to complain about this. Ask to speak to a senior officer. If you don't get any joy, write to the Chief Constable, enclosing some stills from the CCTV. That will get things moving if all else fails, I guarantee it :)

A.

Suprised at this: "I called them again and was then informed that they would not be doing anything because the CCTV was not good enough." - the CCTV quality looks a lot better than some of the footage that gets shown on crimewatch.

A typical excuse!

This CCTV issue seems to come up more often. My partner was attacked in Tescos and the police said nothing would be done because CCTV wasn't good enough. What's the bloody point of the CCTV if the quality is no good?

Hope your mate gets his stuff back.

Would have thought they could id him from that. Sounds like sorry sir we can't be arsed here's a crime number let the insurance deal with it. Too much like police work.
All plod is good for is hiding in the bushes with a speed gun.

What's the bloody point of the CCTV if the quality is no good?

Scorpion Stare in the event of Case Nightmare Green.

Complain - long and loud. The guy is very identifiable from some of that footage - particularly towards the end. Who's told you it's not good enough?

A couple of days ago? The CCTV is dated October... think we've seen this one before!

Complain - long and loud. The guy is very identifiable from some of that footage - particularly towards the end. Who's told you it's not good enough?

I can tell you from two instances of personal experience that that'll go somewhat like that:

-a police officer refuses to investigate

-you complain to their superior, who will give them top cover.

-you complain about the police officer to the police force's professional standards department.

-they either after some investigation (into the complaint, not the original matter!) or without any investigation refuse to do something, stating that the officer in question doesn't have a case to answer, that this is 'normal police business'.

-they tell you that if you don't like the outcome of the (professional standards) investigation, you can go to the IPCC.

-With the IPCC nothing will happen for month and then, more likely than not, you'll still be told that your complaint wasn't warranted.

That said - it doesn't hurt to complain - but never expect anything to come of it. If the police decide to disregard a matter, then that's that.

It's frustrating though, and I, too, agree that the CCTV footage is substantial enough to work with.

Last edited:
You need to complain about this. Ask to speak to a senior officer. If you don't get any joy, write to the Chief Constable, enclosing some stills from the CCTV. That will get things moving if all else fails, I guarantee it :)

A.

I agree with that. Police are like many large organisations in that that you need to persist with your complaint to the point where they are forced to realise that you are not going away.
If you can, get your mates to complain that they are aware that a serious crime was commited and expect action to be taken to apprehend the criminal. It all adds weight. Anyone has a right to raise a complaint if they feel the police are not taking appropriate action.
Keep puting your complaint in writing (and or email).

I'd say an ID was possible from the pics.
Sorry for this little aside, but in an age where cameras can produce super detailed images why are all the security pics we see appear to be rubbish quality.

I can tell you from two instances of personal experience that that'll go somewhat like that:

-a police officer refuses to investigate

-you complain to their superior, who will give them top cover.

-you complain about the police officer to the police force's professional standards department.

-they either after some investigation (into the complaint, not the original matter!) or without any investigation refuse to do something, stating that the officer in question doesn't have a case to answer, that this is 'normal police business'.

-they tell you that if you don't like the outcome of the (professional standards) investigation, you can go to the IPCC.

-With the IPCC nothing will happen for month and then, more likely than not, you'll still be told that your complaint wasn't warranted.

That said - it doesn't hurt to complain - but never expect anything to come of it. If the police decide to disregard a matter, then that's that.

It's frustrating though, and I, too, agree that the CCTV footage is substantial enough to work with.

Without getting into the politics of it Anja - I was a copper for 30 years and this smacks to me of some idle copper who basically just doesn't want to deal with it. It seems to me some stills from that video could make this guy very identifiable and a few shown around that particular pub could have him identified in no time.

I'd at least make sure that some supervisory person of as high a rank as possible has seen this footage (they may well not have done) - I don't see how you can possibly claim the guy is not identifiable. If I got no satisfaction from the police then I think I'd be going to the press with it.

Last edited:
All,

A mate had his bag stolen from a pub a couple of days ago that contained quite a bit of camera kit, Could you please keep your eye out?

Bag contents

Canon 5D Mk II, serial 0630316561
24-70 f/2.8, serial 1398778
50mm f/1.2, serial 1571760
16-35 f/2.8
Dell Mini 9 laptop, a bit worn
Brown T-shirt with "Fox racing" logo. I liked this shirt.
LONAP branded jumper and mug

http://www.marmot.org.uk/bag/ <-- for security feed of the theft in action :(

thanks

what part of the country is this?
is this really a mate of yours or are you just copy'n'paste the story?

Is there no CCTV outside they could have looked at to see where he went or if there is a better pic etc?

A couple of days ago? The CCTV is dated October... think we've seen this one before!

the bag was stolen three weeks ago.. not a couple of days ago.. all these nice people offering help and advice and asking for messges to be passed on... are they being passed on to the OPs mate? sorry but it does look like a global copy/paste pass it on type thing...

apologies if this really is your mate and its taken you three weeks to ask for help..

@GizmodoUK just retweeted me on Twitter!

Detective Farrance on route.

Without getting into the politics of it Anja - I was a copper for 30 years and this smacks to me of some idle copper who basically just doesn't want to deal with it. It seems to me some stills from that video could make this guy very identifiable and a few shown around that particular pub could have him identified in no time.

I'd at least make sure that some supervisory person of as high a rank as possible has seen this footage (they may well not have done) - I don't see how you can possibly claim the guy is not identifiable. If I got no satisfaction from the police then I think I'd be going to the press with it.

Oh, I agree, complaining is necessary, but it may just be fruitless. I've met some great police officers, but there are unfortunately also quite a few who simply cannot be bothered, even when evidence and leads are right in front of them. And, I found (my experience is limited to Thames Valley Police, I should add), that going up a rank or two with your complaint will just lead to the higher ranking officer giving top cover to his report and dismissing the complaint as well - even in cases where they themselves may have acted very differently to the investigating (or non-investigating in this case) officer.

The press, maybe a local paper, could indeed be a good alternative.

I sure hope someone's going to pursue this, if not the police, then the (local) press.

Not going to be popular but i dont think the images are good enough to have a positive ID , from the police point of view- the goods are insured and no one was physically hurt. I agree that a certain level of investigation should be put in , as it was clearly theft but how much should time should they invest given the unlikely outcome , ei - finding the scum

Oh, I agree, complaining is necessary, but it may just be fruitless. I've met some great police officers, but there are unfortunately also quite a few who simply cannot be bothered, even when evidence and leads are right in front of them. And, I found (my experience is limited to Thames Valley Police, I should add), that going up a rank or two with your complaint will just lead to the higher ranking officer giving top cover to his report and dismissing the complaint as well - even in cases where they themselves may have acted very differently to the investigating (or non-investigating in this case) officer.

The press, maybe a local paper, could indeed be a good alternative.

I sure hope someone's going to pursue this, if not the police, then the (local) press.

In general CCTV tapes are pretty awful. I'm not sure why that is -whether it's down to cost possibly, but i'm sure there's far better stuff available if they want to spend the money. As tapes go though, that one's pretty good, particularly towards the end where you get a good look at him and he's actually standing quite still.

Sometimes the tapes are pretty useless, but I've certainly had results off tapes far worse than that. It doesn't even need to be good enough to be conclusive evidence - just good enough to bring the guy in and interview him. The police response is less than impressive here and I'd definitely pursue this if it was me.

Back