urgent help required

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name
mat
Edit My Images
Yes
Not sure if this is the correct place for this if not im sorry.

Well a friend of mine was out taking some pics of the high street, nothing inpaticular just anything he thought looked like a nice pic

now the problem begins

A security guard from one of the shops came out and asked him to move on ( although my friend was in middle of high street not in shop door way) and told him he has to stop taking pics and demanded he format the sd card.

my friend declined to delete the pics but agreed he would focus his attention away from said shop, after he pointed out that he didnt have to.
the guard got abit aggresive and tried to take camera from him but a couple of people helped and the guard disapeered.

about 10 mins later 2 cops came over and started to ask questions about what he was doing and then they also demanded he delete pictures as he had no permission from the guard or anyone else caught on camera.
he explained that he does not need permission and the police took his camera as evidence as they beleive he has pictures of them on the sd card and they stated that it is illegal to take pics of the police , so they are taken his camera as evidence.
I must add he said as far as he knows he didnt even catch them on the camera and they said that there is a chance he did so it needs to be checked.

can someone just shed some light on this, ive searched the net but some sites say it is illegal and some say its not

many thanks

Rubbish, assuming a public place there is no need to ask permission and without a court order neither the police nor anyone else can demand images be deleted.

what... so the police just 'took his camera'? He must have had some sort of formal ticket / explanation as to why and what his next move is?

Were they proper coppers or plastics? He needs to get down the station and find out what they're playing at. That's scandalous.

I live a country where you can't take any pictures of police or army IMO i think the police went over the top on taken the camera when all they have to do is get the SD card or just maybe your friend was asking for trouble in the first place.

The part about the security guard it seems to me he didn't like his picture taken it could have been for many reasons why! IMO it could have been he was on Benefits and working at the same time.

Last edited:
what... so the police just 'took his camera'? He must have had some sort of formal ticket / explanation as to why and what his next move is?

Were they proper coppers or plastics? He needs to get down the station and find out what they're playing at. That's scandalous.

yes he has a receipt/ticket

and they told him to go to the station tomorrow, my friend is here now and he's not happy as he thinks they gonna keep his camera.

when they took his camera i said why and they said that an offence has been made so i said then surely they have to arrest some one but they never they just gave him the ticket and said go to the station

Who, What, When, Where Why and How?
More info, please. When was this, on which high street to start. A lot of journalists will want to follow this up in the light of recent events in Braehead. For a start, call your local paper - or PM me or one of the others who work in the press to do it.

I live a country where you can't take any pictures of police or army IMO i think the police went over the top on taken the camera when all they have to do is get the SD card or just maybe your friend was asking for trouble in the first place.

The part about the security guard it seems to me he didn't like his picture taken it could have been many reasons or he was on Benefits and working at the same time.

nope my friend was just taking pics,wasnt rude to the guard or the police but he did refuse to delete his pics and that was all. i was there also but i was abit further up takin pics of a over flowing bin of all things.

now he knows that the guard could be photographed ect but he was concerned about the police incase he did get them on camera and it was against the law, but as i said he thinks he never got them anyway

he is going to phone the station now and ask to speak to someone in charge

I call hoax. But for the sake of the friend hope it isn't.

Either it didn't happen, or the friend is the first victim of a new scam involving a fake security guard and two fake police officers. There can't possibly be two genuine police officers daft enough to try this now.

Either it didn't happen, or the friend is the first victim of a new scam involving a fake security guard and two fake police officers. There can't possibly be two genuine police officers daft enough to try this now.

it did mate i was there

admit i wasnt there fior the whole thing but i was at the end and the security man was still in the shop working when we left.

my friend is on the phone as we speak to the station as i type.

he seems calm on the phone so im hoping its going well

That was my first thought. Still, we'll have some more information soon, won't we? And when we get it, I'm calling the local police & the local paper (if it's in Southampton I may know some of the journos there). Should get to the bottom of this quite quickly.

Had a nice chat with this guy today after I caught him looking at the job ads in the employment office :)

RJB_4898.jpg

(Unedited)

photography and the law - taken from the Met Police website:

Freedom to photograph/film

Members of the public and the media do not need a permit to film or photograph in public places and police have no power to stop them filming or photographing incidents or police personnel.

Photography and Section 43 of the Terrorism Act 2000

Officers have the power to stop and search a person who they reasonably suspect to be a terrorist. The purpose of the stop and search is to discover whether that person has in their possession anything which may constitute evidence that they are a terrorist.

Officers have the power to view digital images contained in mobile telephones or cameras carried by a person to discover whether the images constitute evidence that the person is involved in terrorism. Officers also have the power to seize and retain any article found during the search which the officer reasonably suspects may constitute evidence that the person is a terrorist. This includes any mobile telephone or camera containing such evidence.

Officers do not have the power to delete digital images or destroy film at any point during a search. Deletion or destruction may only take place following seizure if there is a lawful power (such as a court order) that permits such deletion or destruction.

link

Last edited:
NO guard would take MY camera believe me.

I'd definitely get a local media furore going. Is it fall out with all the bad journalist/tog behaviour I wonder?

Security guard must have been up to no good. I'm surprised the police backed him up as it has clearly been stated by various heads of police that you cannot stop people taking photos or insist they delete them. Unless there is some pertinent information that would explain it that we don't know about? Seems slightly rum to me. Good scam to get someone's camera off them though.

Wht are people so scared to stand up for themselves or to the idiots.

My recation would have simply been, second word "off"

Arrest me PLEASE

Any updates on what your friend has been told by the police yet?

yes he is of the phone

we now have to go to the police station together

not sure what is going on though as when my friend gave the badge numbers they are not real, were of to the station now to try and work out whats gone on.

i hope they have his camera as he only bought it saturday :-(

will update as soon as were back

yes he is of the phone

not sure what is going on though as when my friend gave the badge numbers they are not real, were of to the station now to try and work out whats gone on.

Oh dear :shake:

yes he is of the phone

Oh man, this doesn't sound good, please let us know the outcome as well as to where it happened.

Unfortunately I smell a rat, I think your poor friend is a victim of a very new and brave scam !

Very clever idea, just a shame your friend was not of the mindset of the rest of us, in other words tell them to go f&!£ themselves and arrest me !!!

Unfortunately I smell a rat, I think your poor friend is a victim of a very new and brave scam !!

Or unknowingly and indirectly prevented a much larger 'scam' taking place somewhere in the area - the bogus policemen needing to ensure that their photos were not available to anyone as evidence of identification.

I really hope your friend hasn't been scammed but if it was the High Street then surely there would be CCTV?

Paul

A little concerned about the truth of this, either the story as quoted, or the 'Police' being Police.
Firstly, though, I do wish people would do some research. I have no idea why S43 is being quoted, its not really relevant, perhaps you should be looking at S.76.
Anyway, that being out of the way, my first point is that IF this happened as reported, then the camera without the photographer is a bit pointless. If they think, rightly or wrongly he'd committed an offence then the camera would be going along with the photographer, in oder to facilitate the prompt investigation.
If they don't suspect an offence then neither goes.
Having read the last post by the OP, again, if this is correct, then we are looking at a new game. Although, and I am assuming here that as the OP is from Southampton, then thats where this happened, and knowing the high street, I'd be surprised if anyone had the bottle to pull a trick like that. There's usually one or 2 real old bill walking up and down it, outside West Quay shopping center.
Which just leaves one other alternative, and thats security guards being mistaken for Police?

I hope this did not really happen,if it did the police and the security guard were both wrong,and way out of line.

If I was your mate,I would be straight up to the police station,asking to speak to an inspector,and get this soughted out,and make a compliant against both police officers,a make sure this is followed thought.

We do not yet live in a police state :thumbsdown:,as I have said before even a policeman on duty is not above the law. :shake:

not sure what is going on though as when my friend gave the badge numbers they are not real,

If true, and no reason to think it isn't, I think this is much more serious than a 'snatch a camera' scam, I can't believe anyone is going to risk dressing as a PC just to nick a camera, I really think these guys were there for another reason.

well ive dropped my friend at the station and he is in now answering questions, they aid he maybe a while so best to go home and he will call for a lift, but they said i have to go back tomoz to answer a few questions also.

basically it does look like he was robbed and apparently this is not the first time something like this has happened.

obviously i wasnt told to much and wont be until i pick myfriend up later.

one thing i know for sure is the badge numbers he has are not real, this was confirmed by the police just now.
i feel for my friend because it looks like he will never get his camera back and it took him a year to save .

will update later once i know more

What was the camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back