Pre Chrismas meet for the loonies - The Piccies

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
Many thanks to Andy for organising another cracking Loony meet (y)
Took place Dec 10th near Hay-on-Wye - Meet thread is here.

Ridiculously early start for sunrise at Llangorse Lake, breakfast in Glasbury, climb up Lord Hereford's Knob (aka Twmpa), last eclipse of the moon till 2014, lightpainting at Llanthony Priory followed by a lush meal at the Skirrid Inn (oldest Public House in Wales).
A very full (and long) day - great company - be interesting to see the piccies!

The weather two days before the meet saw 160mph winds in Scotland and a Red Alert issued by the Met Office across much of the UK; the weather arriving soon after the meet was forecast to be equally bad - but a merciful gap in the weather led to some nice light and just a few light showers - was darned cold though!

Evening meal at The Skirrid
L to R - Zeitghost, CarolineS, AgentG, Jomantha, Big Andy, Mrs Big andy, Stan The Man, Digitall, Paul100, Existent and DuncanDisorderly;
For the geeks; image is straight out a Fuji X10, ISO 3200, f2, 1/15s taken by the waitress. Tried flash, but natural light looked better. Not bad for a pocket camera!
i-wN5k8r5-L.jpg

The stragglers nearing the top of Twmpa.
L to R - PK (couldn't make the meal), Big Andy, Jomantha, Digitall and Zeitghost.
i-dQ33k9X-L.jpg

Loonies - bung yer piccies in here (y)

Last edited:
A first few quick edits by me.

#1 The bird watching hut with Pen-Y-Fan mountain in the background.

#2 A zoomed in view of Pen-y-fan, unfortunatly I'd lost the light on the reeds by this stage.

#3 Looking North from Lord Herefords Knob. You've got to love the name. :D

#4 Looking East across Hay Bluff towards England.

#5 Early morning light at Llangorse. The magenta cast is natural light and nothing to do with Cokin on this occasion.

Hope you enjoy looking at them as much as I enjoyed taking them, although I'm creaking a bit this morning after all the walking yesterday.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed yesterday, it was great seeing everybody again. I had a hard time editing the IR pics, I couldn't decide whether I liked the channel mixed image or the non-channel mixed image.

Here's a few from me.

At the lake, IR shot with no channel mixing
005lcA.JPG

The same shot but with channel mixing
005lcCMA.JPG

View over the lake, IR w/channel mixing
008CMa.JPG

View over the lake with some sun catching the hills, IR w/o channel mixing
013a.JPG

Llangorse Lake full colour
030a.JPG

Sun trying to break through the cloud
034a.JPG

We had 10 minutes of sun on the hut
038a.JPG

Big Andy in IR
010a.JPG

Paul100 & DuncanDisorderly in IR
011a.JPG

StantheMan
016a.JPG

019a.JPG

021a.JPG

Last bunch honest! The rest can be seen here

After the hills a few of us went to Llanthony Priory and did some light painting.

040a.JPG

041a.JPG

some very good shots here guys..there is something to like about everyones shots,but way too many to comment on :eek: :LOL:

fantastic day yesterday,slept like a baby last night,after consuming a liberal amount of alcohol ;).many thanks to everyone for turning out,and making the day what it was..a success,but especially to andy,for taking the time to organise it all.....

anyway,here's a few from me....

haybluff-twmpapanoramic.jpg

acrosstheice-haybluff-1.jpg

llanthonypriorylightpainting.jpg

llanthonylightpainting.jpg

llangorsesunrise_3.jpg

llangorsesunrise_2.jpg

I am rubbish at landscapes and these are probably only the second I have ever done (the first was the loonies seaside meet), but I had to prove that yes I did actually take a photograph and didnt spend the entire time screaming and clinging onto a mountain for dear life (okay well only 95% of the time)

DSC_7204.jpg

DSC_7207.jpg

My favs from the day.

1) Twilight, Half an hour before sunrise
i-pV2ph4J-L.jpg

2) First splash of colour (and the first ducks)
i-rXWt2Lb-L.jpg

3) The hut (almost the same as everyone else, but I still like it :))
i-t37PPb5-L.jpg

4) Very dramatic lighting as the sun peered over the nearby mountains.
i-Vd95qkg-L.jpg

5) Gorgeous tree at the start of the the walk to Twmpa.
i-4R7NqTz-L.jpg

6) A shower that only just missed us.
i-BSSb9gJ-L.jpg

7) 'That' wall a lot of us took.
i-5kfBjxV-L.jpg

8) Sheep and frost on the mountainside.
i-2fcQB7m-L.jpg

9) Layers in the landscape.
i-rxz53Sf-L.jpg

10) Big Andy on the slopes of Twmpa.
i-djfVk8X-L.jpg

11) Another line of showers that just missed us!
i-zLtPCFq-L.jpg

12) My attempt at light painting using the Fuji pocket camera.
i-vR9W6zB-L.jpg

Absolutely amazing piccies being posted by everybody! :clap:

Impossible to single anybody out, but I'm loving AgentG's IR shots; plus the shots that have really captured how bleak it was up on the top of Twmpa.

Just to prove that Andy and I didn't completely waste out time going back up Twmpa for sunset.......

Pen-y-Fan post-sunset with tantalisingly clear sky, but no colour.
i-RSFKZhW-M.jpg

Lunar eclipse! It may look like the bit that is missing is simply hidden in cloud, but I've got a whole set as the moon rises into this gap in the clouds, and the missing bit is the same in all of them.
i-3FcNQH3-L.jpg

OK - neither of those are going on my wall...
But we saw what we hoped to see, and it was frustratingly close to delivering some memorable shots....

Stunning pictures everyone. Couldn't you tow the place down to the South East?!!

Some cracking images here, seems like you had a great day and the weather was kind to you.
Interesting ir images too, thanks for sharing.

The start of a long day, and Andy :ty:

1)
IMG_3428.jpg

2)
IMG_34172.jpg

3)
IMG_34312.jpg

4)
IMG_34442.jpg

5)
IMG_34602.jpg

Only have JPEG's as accidently deleted my RAW :crying::bonk:

As always a great day although bitterly cold walking up Lord Herefords nob :naughty:
When the next loonies outing then :exit:

Looking at the pictures I'm really sorry to have missed this, but was busy all day Sunday with a meeting in Tiverton and tried unsuccessfully to re-arrange things to leave Saturday completely free. Ah well, next time!

Hi mark - welcome to TP!
Twas good to have bumped into you too!
Well worth keeping an eye out for future TP meets.

I've got a small number of piccies from Sunday up in my blog including one from the waterfall where we met you - weather was indeed atrocious!

Thanks guys,
Hey Duncan, sorry I didn't catch your name on Sunday.
I'll keep an eye out for the meets. I'll have a look at those pics. I posted a couple of new pics from Sunday to my Flickr, I'm not sure how to add them on here.
Hope to see you all soon.

Merry Xmas!!! KMA.

Yeah I'll certainly try.
That snow looked awesome, would love to have seen that. Nice shot of the Waterfall there.
I have a few of the falls on my flickr from earlier this year if you get a chance to have a look.

Cheers M.

Last edited:
Back