weekly Nick's 52 cameras in 52 weeks (ish) Camera 13 Added

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
7201501492_0290b7e0aa_t.jpg

6917633999_75675f3a01_t.jpg

Well madness has prevailed and after a drunken night in the pub before Christmas the ramblings of two drunken old blokes has morphed into the 52 film cameras in 52 weeks challenge. So, we both have a cupboard full of film cameras and fridges full of film and what better way to keep them alive than run some film through them and post the results up for other sanity challenged photographers.

I'm going to run a blog alongside the challenge on TP and it has already been started by my mate and fellow camera nut Al

If you fancy keeping up with our attempts pop along to 52cameras and see how we're getting on.

Last edited:
This has the potential to be one of those epic threads on TP so best of luck with your challenge (y) and I look forward to seeing the photo's (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

I agree with Matt, this has the makings of an all time great thread.

Really looking forward to seeing how this pans out :)

Last edited:
eh!

Now, THERE'S good composition! Great shot to start off your 52 Nick, and jeez, 52 cameras, hell of a challenge! Best of luck!

I like it :D

Good luck with the 52 cameras!! I thought I had a few but no where near 52.
Mart

52 shots with 52 cameras ...Excellent challenge....Best of luck!

2/52

6751450605_0cd79d2601_m.jpg

Mamiya C220 -7
by Raglansurf, on Flickr

Away from the glitz and glamour of Brentford High Street, hidden down a maze of backstreets is an area most tourists never see. A canal-side community of barge dwellers, decaying industrial buildings and the occasional oddly posistioned boat.

Mamiya C220 Delta 100-1
by Raglansurf, on Flickr

Squeezed in between the towpath and the more permanent structures there are often small gardens, usually adorned with boating flotsam and jetsam, like this one.

2/52 Brentford Dock Garden, Mamiya C220 Delta 100-8
by Raglansurf, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nick that is fantastic. Must dig out mt C3 for part of the 52 project.

Mart

Nick that is fantastic. Must dig out mt C3 for part of the 52 project.

Mart

Thanks Mart. And yes use your TLR, I've had mine for years and have hardly ever used it but it's a cracking camera and I've just picked up a 65mm w/a lens so I'm looking forward to getting much more use out of it.

Great stuff, but I'm going to struggle to not get the GAS following your challenge, Nick! Those Mamiyas are certainly tempting though.

Very Nice work Nick.(y)
Loving the OOF foreground on No2 and the low down position.

Last edited:
They are very nice,
I'm guessing that putting pics of the camera that takes the shot is taking off. Will have to take some snaps of the cameras now.
Mart

Agreed very nice(y)....especially the "ghost" effect in the second one, gives the lady 2 pairs of eyes...in fact on closure inspection looks like possibly 3 pairs!:eek:

They are very nice,
I'm guessing that putting pics of the camera that takes the shot is taking off. Will have to take some snaps of the cameras now.
Mart

Normally I wouldn't bother but since each camera is different I thought it would make the thread a little more interesting.

Agreed very nice(y)....especially the "ghost" effect in the second one, gives the lady 2 pairs of eyes...in fact on closure inspection looks like possibly 3 pairs!:eek:

3 pairs is right, when I took it all I really saw was the main reflection it was only after processing and scanning that I could see the other eyes.

6800046519_e2bfc7687e_m.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

The 4th of my 52cameras project. The Franka Rolfix is a cracking little medium format folder made in Germany some time in the 50′s I think. It has a Schneider Kreuznach Radionar 1:4,5/105 lens in a Prontor-S shutter, it comes with an internal mask allowing either 6×6 or 6×9 images on 120 film. I bought this from Skears Photographic in Northampton last year, I only went in for some film. When I bought it it looked like it had hardly been used, the internals were spotless and as it came complete with the internal 6×6/6×9 mask it had to be added to the collection.

6800063939_d13e6e8222_m.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

The Aladdin's cave that is Silverprint in London, suppliers of all things 'filmy'. Nice people and really helpful. It's just a shame that they are no longer open on a Saturday.

6800065455_6b537c8bce_m.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

The Gherkin

I've never been to Silverprint, but it looks my kind of place! That appears to be one very large brass bound camera that they have there...any idea what name/size it is? .....I have a whole plate tailboard camera but this one appears huge in comparison.
Somewhere knocking about I do have a very large mahogany plate holder which has come off some huge apparatus like what you've captured there!

Very nice reflection of The Gerhkin.

Two pin sharp images there Nick, the camera is a little beauty and it's owner knows just how to get the best out of it! Well done!

That's a lovely little folder, it's amazing the way that a 6x9 camera can fold up and slip into a large jacket pocket. A great resuly with it, not the usual angle in the gherkin.

6917633999_75675f3a01_m.jpg
[/url]
Baldessa-12 by Raglansurf, on Flickr[/IMG]

The Balda Baldessa 1b, made in Germany some time around 1958, (a vintage year) the Baldessa 1b is an interesting looking camera with some quirky design features but overall it's a bit of a pig to use.

6918767193_0420e5542c_m.jpg
[/url]
Baldessa1b-9 by Raglansurf, on Flickr[/IMG]

6918768341_2d22455c84_m.jpg
[/url]
Baldessa1b-12 by Raglansurf, on Flickr[/IMG]

Oops, double post.

Looks minty that little Balda....very nice! (y)
Produces decent images too by the look of it....personally prefering the first one though would have probably been tempted to wait until there was no people in the frame.
Looking forward to see what camera you come up with for next week.
BTW: I have taken on board your encouragement and have decided to attempt my film 52 challenge with 52 different cameras like yourself.....Am I nuts or what :nuts:

As I suspected I am now waaay behind in the quest to use one camera every week for a year but hey, I was never going to stick to it so who cares?

Anyway, this week’s offering is the Canon Canonet S, it’s a great rangefinder camera and I bought this one from a fellow member of the Talk Photography forum and although it did work after a fashion the slower shutter speeds were a bit hit and miss so I sent it off to Miles Whitehead for a thorough CLA. It came back very much improved with everything snappy and responsive as it should be. Canon only made these for a very short time in 1964 it was then quickly superseded by the Canonet QL.

7201502218_dba76daec3.jpg
[/url]
Canonet S -1 by Raglansurf, on Flickr[/IMG]

The Canonet S

6972795797_ee1e6c616d.jpg
[/url]
Munson's coffee shop in Ealing. by Raglansurf, on Flickr[/IMG]

A shot of my favourite coffee shop in Ealing.

Last edited:
I care that you keep up to your 52.......after all it's you that convinced me to do a 52 with 52 cameras.......I just can't do it alone!!!!! lol

If I continue to drop behind at the same pace as you catch up, we'll meet in the middle...LMAO

Nice little "walkabout" camera that Nick by the looks of it ......just the right size to slip in a jacket pocket!

People sat outside a coffee shop in the UK.......that's got to be a chance offering given the usual weather there!! lol

With the smoking restrictions it makes me imagine there are regular hoards of smokers huddled under brollies outside these places on rainy days....that in itself could possibly make a good candid shot.

Good to see that you do get an occassional sunny day though, even in Ealing! lol

Keep up the good work.

Thanks Asha, I really appreciate the support, I'm finding it difficult to actually find things locally to take pictures of and the time to actaully go somewhere different, still it's all part of the challenge.

So, this is week 7 (I'm going to change this to 'camera 7', because 'weeks' just makes me realise how far behind I am) but I digress, I shot this for Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day on the last Sundy in April. Taken using a Zero Image 2000 pinhole camera on Fuji Superia X-Tra 400, an approximate exposure of 4 elephants, processed by The Darkroom UK in Cheltenham and scanned using a Nikon Coolscan 9000

7144206441_acd512edcc.jpg
[/url]
Zero Image Pinhole Superia X-TRA 400-2 by Raglansurf, on Flickr[/IMG]

7181764542_5db364e71c.jpg
[/url]
Zero Image Pinhole-2 by Raglansurf, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
Since TP will only let me put 6 images in one post I'm starting another one to carry on the thumbnail collection.

Last edited:
I'm finding it difficult to actually find things locally to take pictures of and the time to actaully go somewhere different,

Is it that there is very little of interest locally? or are you struggling like myself to find inspiration with what is on your doorstep??

Either way it makes it hard work to keep up with the challenge but don't be slacking off buddy, besides i want to see 52 of your cameras!:D.....

I think I commented on this shot before when you posted in the pinhole thread (there again maybe I didn't:thinking:...I really like it....a very simple setting but works very well.
The clouds have a slight "time warp" feel to them ( no doubt to do with the exposure time of approx 4 elephants) ...that made me lol....still trying to fathom how many seconds an elephant is! :D

Regardless, the exposure is spot on(y) and if ever you get bored with that smart pinhole set up, you know where I am!;)

Number 8, yes I know we're now in August and in 52cameras terms I'm still in February but it's worth the the wait.

7582812072_0416922461.jpg
[/url]
Ebner-2 by Raglansurf, on Flickr[/IMG]

This is quite possibly my favourite camera in the collection, it’s an Ebner, made of Bakelite in Stuttgart, Germany between 1934-35. It’s a quirky folding camera that takes 6×4.5 on 120 roll film. It’s a model 304, I know this because http://www.ukcamera.com/classic_cameras/ebner1.html tells me that with a Meyer Trioplan 4,5/75 lens and a Pronto S shutter it can’t be any other model.

7546279620_19b7662366.jpg
[/url]
Ebner-17 by Raglansurf, on Flickr[/IMG]

7528956006_7a5bdbacdb.jpg
[/url]
Burtynsky's Oil exhibition at The Photographers' Gallery by Raglansurf, on Flickr[/IMG]

Nice silhouette Nick..... particularly like the angle at which the light enters the room and falls along the bottom edges of the picture frames and the reflections of the outdoor building in the glassware.

Beautiful camera too...Tbh I'd never heard of Ebner until now......Bakelite...brill stuff wasn't it?....I recall toggle light switches and such like as a kid made out of it...They were "proper" switches!! lol

Thanks for your comments Asha, much appreciated. I hadn't heard of Ebners either until I was given it, it is a work of art imho, tactile and a pleasure to use.

It's not the most sophisticated of cameras but it has the best name by far, imagine being summoned to a meeting at Agfa's creative round table in Munchen in 1954 and asking the question "so, was wir gehend, unser spätestes Angebot zu nennen sind" or "so what are we going to call our latest offering" (I have no idea whether these translations make any sense at all but I have utmost faith in Babel Fish) and some bright spark says "lassen Sie uns es nennen das Geklapper" or "let's call it the Clack!" Of course the Americans didn't get it and insisted they call it the Click, ffs click, what's that got to do with photography?

7201722866_9e7a1d24b7.jpg
[/url]
Agfa Clack-2 by Raglansurf, on Flickr[/IMG]

7201723444_b0d6bbcf8b.jpg
[/url]
Agfa Clack-1 by Raglansurf, on Flickr[/IMG]

Basically it's a pressed metal box with a fake snake skin cover. The height of technical sophistication it has 1 shutter speed, approximately 1/30th of a second and a B setting, 2 apertures which are something like f11 & f12.5 and according to Camerapedia http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Agfa_Clack it's supposed to have a yellow filter but I'm buggered if I can see it.

Also according to camerapedia site The best feature is the curved film plane. There's no pressure plate in the back of the camera; the film isn't supposed to be flattened. The camera body is oval shaped when viewed from above, and the film is led around the curved back of the camera to create maximum sharpness: an intelligent solution to create a low-cost camera of decent quality.

It has the quaintly named zone focusing system with two steps. 1-3m (3-10 feet) with a built-in close-up lens and 3m (10 feet)-infinity, which pretty much equates to mountains and everything else.

The Clack is still a very useable camera, it uses the readily available 120 film, and it shoots very nice big 6x9 negatives which will give you 8 shots on a roll. I usually try and use something like a 50asa film in it but you can stretch that a little. So if you want to try a 1950's box camera make some room in your life for a Clack, what's not to like?

6827274452_ce8d553cb3.jpg
[/url]
Agfa Clack PanF-7 by Raglansurf, on Flickr[/IMG]

6827274726_89f38258c7.jpg
[/url]
Agfa Clack PanF-8 by Raglansurf, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
Just loving your write up....thanks for the translation...I have no idea when it comes to german...I have enough on with french :D

Yellow filter has probably worn its yellow away over the years so now looks just like any other clear piece of lens glass....probably the reason why you can't find it!! lol....I've got a camera somewhere that's done just that!

I think we need a couple of self portraits Nick of you supping in your locals....a beer in one and a sobering coffee in the other ;)

The curved film plane certainly appears to work well in offering a sharp image.....Nice results from a basic box camera!

Thanks Asha, you're probably right about the yellow filter it would explain its disappearance. I really should start carrying a little tripod around with me for those relaxing moments in pubs and coffee houses :LOL:

Back