dropped 1d4

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Unfortunately dropped my 1D4 at the weekend. Body only, fell onto some wooden decking, probably about 2ft. No visible damage and I thought I'd got away with it, but sadly not. In an easy AF situation, pointing at a flatish surface, no problems. Raise the difficulty of AF however, for instance birds in a tree, or a slanting surface, and it will not AF, and not only is the image blurry, but so is the green display through the viewfinder. I suspect mirror assembly damage/misalignment.
A trip to Elstree beckons, however has anyone got any thoughts before I di this?
Thanks
Jonathan

EDIT - I've been playing with it some more, and I can hear a loud rattle from inside it - it's coming from within the prism housing. There is something loose inside which when the camera is pointed vertically, or at least substantially off the horizontal axis, you can hear something slip, and the viewfinder then goes blurry and prevents AF. So I guess not mirror damage, but equally as deadly.

Oh well, I guess this is why I have a 40D.....

Last edited:
I drop my Nikon F5,a few years back,it was the whole mirror box that needer replacing.

Hopefully your are insured :)

I dropped mine a few weeks ago but luckily it still works fine,it cracked the corner of the body about 1mm and dented the filter ring on the 24-70.Im phoning a few repair places tomorrow as its annoying not being able to use filters with the 24-70 and ive avoided taking the lens out as I cant put a lens cap on properly.
Hope you get yours sorted.

Off to Elstree today, hopefully won't kill my finances. Real shame, I know you should try and avoid dropping your cameras, but I would have hoped that the 1d would have been better able to withstand what wasn't a particularly forceful clang.

Sent mine off today,hopefully shouldnt be gone for too long.TBH Im amazed it still works falling 4ft onto granite.

My body arrived at Canon today, was fixed today, and has been sent back....today. Should get it tomorrow. Hoping the speed of the repair is an indication of it's cheapness to perform!!
Amazing service, really impressed.

Bloody hell that was quick,hope its not too painfull.
Mine arrived at lehmann today hopefully get an estimate tomorrow.
Where did you send yours?

Off to Elstree today, hopefully won't kill my finances. Real shame, I know you should try and avoid dropping your cameras, but I would have hoped that the 1d would have been better able to withstand what wasn't a particularly forceful clang.

I knocked mine over on a boat when it was fixed to the 300mm f2.8 with extender fitted so the body fell about 3 plus feet onto the deck no problem
All the images were sharp i took on the day. Just the luck of the breaks so to speak.
Regards
Richard

Well, it's back. In this day and age, their customer service is simply astonishingly good. A massive thumbs up for Canon Elstree.
The problem was indeed in the prism, they described it as "eyepiece assembly replaced", and the part was £37. The total bill including return carriage was £172, which included recalibrating the focussing, updating to latest firmware, and best of all, cleaning the sensor. This strikes me as more than reasonable. OK so I wish I hadn't dropped it, but....

Best of all was the turnaround. I'm CPS Gold but they blew that out of the water. I posted the camera to them on Monday at 3pm. They received it, processed it, fixed it and sent it back to me on the same day - Tuesday. It was back in my hands today, Wednesday, at approx 3pm. As I say, astonishing.

Cheers
Jonathan

PS Sorry to hear about the price Tim, what was wrong with yours?

Jonathan, it needs a couple of covers around the portrait grip,24-70 filter ring,sleeve,name ring and guides,
Its not too bad I suppose,it will also be focus checked and calibrated.
At least I'll have peace of mind when I get it back that its as weather sealed as it can be. Im in the Marines so it gets used in crappy weather and the cracks in the body were making me think twice when using it in the rain. :)

Sorry to read about your misfortune, but the service you've received seems exceptionally good

Back