Abstract long exposure double exposure - Dam opening, Taupo, NZ

Name
Anton
Edit My Images
Yes
This is a technique that presents a double exposure effect from a single exposure using an ND filter and long exposure with intentional camera movement. Posted this kind of thing before and got a good response, but I'll reiterate, this is not to everyone's taste.

The water/scenery is from the Aratiatia Dam in Taupo that opens daily for about 5 minutes.

Another from the set, but not as pronounced...

A couple more...

Last edited:
A bit to abstract for me im afraid , its just to cluttered/ messy , nothing for my eye to pick out or follow.

Really interesting. Not sure whether I like them or not though! Of the 2, I prefer the first where you get more idea of what it is. I guess it puts it in some sort of context whereas the second one is pure abstract.

Great colours though.

Reminds me of the 80's zoom technique.

Certainly interesting dude, nice shots :)

I love the second picture. Interesting composition and a very cool effect. The first one is not abstract enough for me personally. I can still pick out detail of the landscape. That's a matter of personal taste though.
I'm not sure I completely get the technique. Essentially it's a long exposure during which you move the camera around to get a smudged effect?

I love the second picture. Interesting composition and a very cool effect. The first one is not abstract enough for me personally. I can still pick out detail of the landscape. That's a matter of personal taste though.
I'm not sure I completely get the technique. Essentially it's a long exposure during which you move the camera around to get a smudged effect?

Thanks very much. :)

Essentially that's what it is but its a bit trickier than that. There's also some zooming on focal length involved, and I change composition mid shot or depending on light while the shutter is open and get a double exposure. For example, the second shot comprises of the lens pointing straight at the water/stream and then I move up to the horizon after about 3 seconds and the shots double exposure due to light being recorded, but all through a single exposure.

Like them, they seem to remind me of brush strokes when I look and have some nice movement.

Like them, they seem to remind me of brush strokes when I look and have some nice movement.

That's a big reason I do it. I love watercolour paintings and this for me is an intermediate to produce something similar. I also find that whatever the weather or the scenery I usually find something I like enough thanks to the resemblance.

This is very cool, I'm going to have a go at this next time I'm out! The third picture is awesome btw.
You should print some of these, they'd look great in a frame. Keep up the good work.

Not really my style, first one could be a Whistler painting, might look good as a large wall panel.

Dave.

Brilliant. They look very much like watercolour paintings of the sky. A lot of people on this forum won't like things like this because they're 'too abstract' or 'messy' (not that there's anything wrong with that, we all have our ways), but don't let that put you off, you've made some really great pictures here (y)

Any chance you could share a bit more info on your method? Not that I'm going to rip you off or anything, just interested ;)

-J

Not normally my thing at all but I quite like the first one. Just enough detail to work out what's going on but just abstract enough to make that a challenge. Other's maybe too 'out there' for me but impressive stuff none the less.

Not for me personally, but always good to see new things. Thanks for sharing.

You've really polarised opinion on here!!

Me, I love them. I've come back to this thread 4 or 5 times. I don't comment on peoples work very often, mostly because I don't think I'm qualified, but I think you should proud of these images. You're trying something different, the results of which have artistic appeal and, in my opinion, merit. What do I know....:shrug:

My wife likes them too. She's better qualified than me to pass judgement - she's got a fine art degree (y)

Ah, much more positive response overnight! I'm glad that people are at least looking. Thanks very much for taking the time to comment and I'm humbled by the compliments.

Sorry but they do nothing for me at all. Have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking at.

This is kind of the point. I'm currently living in New Zealand and I've seen my fair share of spectacular scenery, especially during the winter and I've taken many landscape photographs that have had me very proud. Though after a while I felt like I was starting to adorn to the "fair weather rider", a term used for guys that only ride motorbikes on Sundays when the weathers nice. I hope you see my metaphor - unless I had dramatic skies, perfect sunshine and spectacular scenery I didn't feel the need to produce my camera. That is wrong. I stopped caring about the rules of photography and impressing people with stunning scenery - I will remember the places I visit, and I'm sure I'll take photographs to do them justice in the future, but this technique satisfies both my inspiration and the feel I get from just looking at them.

There is a lesser-known photographer called Chris Friel that I have complimented and plugged on this board several times, even up to 3 or 4 years ago when I didn't have a clue about photography. Its only recently I've been able to take my photographs into something more like his world. Please take a look, he is most of the inspiration behind all of these photographs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cfriel/

I also read an article on Impressionism yesterday, and although I didn't really know what to call these photographs, I guess that encapsulates them if they were to be pigeon-holed.

I'm glad that people liked them anyway. I know what I'm doing isn't really acknowledged or respected by a lot of people on this board because of what it is, but it is nice to know that some of you guys enjoy them. So here's a couple more. :)

It is definitely interesting but the photos don't convey any purpose to me, it seems like a random explosion of color.

Back